It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose tech is better: 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars'?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
The borg could probably do all the work themselves, they'd just find a planet with some nice tech and assimilate it and also as they get more people assimilated those peoples knowledge of the technology would be added to the borg and a few reconfigurations later you have borg with all the knowledge/tech of the SW universe and the ability to adapt to counter anything thrown at them

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Ill take my chances in the Battlestar. It will clean starwars or startrek up.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Then we won't sent the Enterprise....I think this will do

If the Doomsday machine can destroy entire planets, think what it can do to spaceships.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Ill take my chances in the Battlestar. It will clean starwars or startrek up.

No way, no how.

The Battlestar has limited shields that are both weak and don't cover the entire ship (while they can deflect some laser fire, a suicidal Cylon fighter will punch right through, for example). The Enterprise could simply beam a photon torpedo on the bridge, and bye bye Battlestar. The Battlestar's hull could take major hits from the Enterprise, but the lack of shielding means the Enterprise owns it.

In addition, the Enterprise can zip all around it (Battlestar is limited to light speed). Adama will never even know where his foe is, until he's onscreen firing his phaser banks and photon torpedoes (and that's if they don't decide to beam one aboard). The Battlestar's main weapons however, are in kilotons and wouldn't do much to the Enterprise's shields....or at least, it would take a long while.

Conversely, one squadron (6 fighters) of X-Wings would destroy both the Enterprise and the Battlestar. It wouldn't even take a Star Wars capital ship. Just the fighters would work. The insane shield and hull strengths of the Star Wars universe means the enemy's weapons won't even dent the shields. Conversely, the immense power of the proton torpedoes (64.4 megatons) or concussion missiles (about 150 megatons), means the Enterprise goes up after a few or more hits (Even with shields), whereas the Galactica would be destroyed after about a dozen or less hits. Like the Enterprise, the X-Wings can go faster and approach the crawling Galactica from FTL speed.

Of course, the result is either Trek or Wars kills the Galactica. And that's not even considering that they are too busy trying to figure out which sex Starbuck is, or who is and who is not a Cylon.

If using EVERYTHING from the universes, Trek wins hands down. Q alone could simply wish the foes out of existence. Being a god basically trumps all.

Not very accurate, but damn cool to watch.....(regular TIEs (unshielded) are just as vulnerable as equally unshielded Vipers, but the TIE is much faster, and it's weapons are far more powerful (and their durasteel hulls are going to take a lot of pounding from the Viper's relatively puny weaponry).

To another:

Then we won't sent the Enterprise....I think this will do

No problem, destroying the Constellation in the gullet originally defeated it, so about 2 timed heavy assault concussion missiles down the gullet from a Star Destroyer should pretty much be overkill (more destructive power than the Constellation's destruction).
edit on 23-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Where the hell do you come up with this stuff Gazrok, do you just carry it around in your head or do you make it up as you go? This is hilarious bro.

So I have no choice but to ask, What about Buck Rogers? How would their technology add up against the other 3, Battlestar, Star Trek and Star Wars? ~$heopleNation

edit on 23-5-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I meant to write this for a while now, but i've been busy and lazy.

I noticed that most people here, when they talk about Star Trek tech they refer to TOS and TNG. Fortunatelly for us trekkies the universe is expanding (officially) with the Star Trek online game. In other words there are more weapons and more powerful ships that exist since the two famous shows.

Now i will make a list of weapons that are used in the Star Trek universe (which btw we are now in the year 2413.

Adapted Borg technology/Assimilated technology.
Since the war with the borgs is one of the main storylines in STO and both Federation and the Empire are working and have managed tp liberated borgs and adapt their technology to the ships.
This means that ships are now equiped with borg shields, torpedoes and beam arrays that penetrate and depleate enemy shields.
sto.gamepedia.com...

Thalaron weapons
Used mainly by the Romulans and the Tal Shiar the weapons have the ability to destroy every living organism and leave everything else intact. Used as space weapons annihilate the population of a planet within seconds and leave the buildings and weapons without a scratch. Banned of course by the federation.

Hargh'peng Torpedo Launcher
This is one of my favorite weapons. Hargh'peng radiation penetrates the shields and when it explodes can cause severe damage to the ship targetted as well and completely destroys small crafts or cause damage at 10 ships in close radious.

Aceton Beam
reduces the damage dealt by the target’s energy weapons by 50% and causes radiation damage to the target when they use energy weapons.

Bio-neural Warhead
Another favorite weapon that can cause up to 50% damage to the enemy ship.A Bio-neural Warhead is a heavily armored tricobalt explosive equipped with shields and a Point Defense System, piloted by an onboard sentient Bio-neural A.I.. The torpedo deals massive AoE damage if it reaches its destination.

There is a long list of different kind of energy and projectile weapons that can cause a great deal of damage.
There is also mentioned in many missions the Iconian technology, which as far as we concerned is more advanced than any other tech in the ST universe.
More info:
sto.gamepedia.com...:Ship_Weapons

edit on 25-5-2013 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Apparently you missed ROTJ and the Death Star easily wiping out capital ships. The Super Laser on the DS would not have to have a full charge to take out or significantly damage a Borg Cube. As the Cube would be destroyed in one shot they would not be able to quickly adapt. In any space battle Star Trek is doomed to failure. They do not have purpose built one man fighter craft. It comes down to the Ants vs. the Praying Mantis. 1 vs.1 the Mantis may be superior but eventually it will succumb to the wounds inflicted by many ants.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

It's from the stated power of the weapons in their respective sources (Movies, TV episodes, RPG sources, etc.). Not making it up. If there are Star Wars sources saying a proton torpedo is 64.4 megatons, then there you go.

So I have no choice but to ask, What about Buck Rogers? How would their technology add up against the other 3, Battlestar, Star Trek and Star Wars?

A Buck Rogers starfighter vs. a BSG Viper would be a pretty even match except that the Viper is much faster (as stated in their respective canons). The Viper's weapons pack a slightly higher punch too. Really, it would all come down to the pilots (and who saw who first)....but with the Viper having the edge on technology and speed tactical options. A crappy Viper pilot would likely lose to an experienced Earth Republic Starfighter pilot who got surprise, but even a passable Viper pilot will blow everyone in the Buck Rogers universe, sans Buck out of the sky.... (especially if one of them stumbled on the Picard maneuver, since the Vipers can do FTL speed (with turbos) in some, though not all BSG references). The Viper also has a lot more missile options (a Buck Rogers fighter has 2 missiles, the Viper has 8 in the belly and can fit 1 to 2 more under the wings, including nukes.)

Either of them are toast against either Star Trek or Star Wars ships, simply due to shields. A single Star Wars fighter or Trek Shuttlecraft is going to atomize a Viper or Starfighter simply because it can hide behind shields and dish out extraordinary damage to these two.

EDIT: I do love me some Wilma Deering though...and she's a sweetheart in real life too. She's like 60, and still looks good (of course, she was a model before TV). She's one classy lady, and really appreciates her fans.

edit on 5-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Originally posted by boncho

i see your pic and raise you a...

Humm...OH, yeah...! I'll take the winna..and, the loser...! LoL!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

luciddream
I think Technology wise.... Star Trek Era wins....

Star Wars Era is quite behind on technology

This is false.
Michio Kaku has been quoted saying Starfleet as characterized by the Trek franchize is a type II civilization while the technology in Star Wars is exemplary of a type III civilization.
Last I heard, 3 was still greater than 2.

This isn't the only evidence of this as stardestroyer.net shows...

www.stardestroyer.net...

So Star Wars does have superior technology to Star Trek.
Make of it what you will.

-Live Long and Prosper-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Bad Link

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Eryiedes
So Star Wars does have superior technology to Star Trek.
Make of it what you will.

-Live Long and Prosper-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Bad Link

However it depends on what one does with the technology and because of this Star Trek would win. Plus, if they lose they could just hop back in time and see why and change it so they'd win.

Still, Transformers universe would win both. I'm sure even Data and the EMH would agree and join forces. They could take all the vehicles and give them life by the Allspark and personalities by Vector Sigma and turn it against their creators or maroon them. The Force would have no effect on them but if it had, they would have their Force as well since it's all a mindtrick and either use the Force against them or have a new more powerful Force (since they are ancient nonbiological entities) which neither the Jedi nor Sith would understand so they'd lose. And Transformers can timetravel as well.
edit on 22-1-2014 by spiritspeak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Different universes and the laws of physics are different. For example in startrek they have matter transporters. In starwars they don't.
Starwars is at least 1000 years ahead of star trek in space faring as a common transport mode used in the galaxy, but they use ion drives whereas startrek uses field propulsion. Comparing both universes is a muet exercise because neither could win against each other because they live in different universes governed by different laws of physics.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
For example in startrek they have matter transporters. In starwars they don't.

They instead have exo-teleportation using the force.
Also I think the laws of physics are the same in both Trek and Wars.
What was different was the amount of handwavium being used by the writers to flesh out their respective settings.

-Peace-
edit on 22-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

spiritspeak

I'm sure even Data and the EMH would agree and join forces.

Guri would wipe the floor with Data.

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Starwars and Startrek are different universes. There are super beings in startrek that can freeze time, that don't exist in starwars. Starships can time travel to alter past there is no evidence of time travel in starwars. I will say again the physics of both universes are different. A comparison is irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

There are super beings in startrek that can freeze time, that don't exist in starwars.

Sorry, but the the Clone Wars series popped that bubble when it explained what Anakin being the "Chosen One" really meant. As the Chosen One his power had no limits. He could even effect objects on across the entire universe from a single central nexus. That included stopping time.

Starships can time travel to alter past there is no evidence of time travel in starwars.

I believe one of the myriad of comic books based on Star Wars Expanded Universe did feature a "super weapon" which had the side effect of warping time. To the user of the devise however it would be exactly like time travel...so, strike two.

I will say again the physics of both universes are different. A comparison is irrelevant.

On this we agree.
Handwavium is just Handwavium whether it's ST, SW or whatever sci-fi movie a person could think to name.

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

However you want to twist it anyone who has seen star trek and starwars knows the laws of the universe differ. Only the die hards who want to compare the power of both universes will try and argue the laws of physics in both are the same, when clearly to those who watch both movies they are not.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Maxatoria
its quite simple

Always hated that meme. Starwars ships have shields. Even the fighters have shields. They also have more than just turbo lasers. They have ion torpedos and concussion missiles (even on some of the small ships like tie bombers or Y-wings). I don't think Star Trek would stand a chance (outside of the Q factor, but even then, there were Sith Lords in Star Wars history that basically possessed god like powers and could control entire fleets with their minds, or even destroy capital ships, so they are somewhat comparable to Q).

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Maxatoria
The borg could probably do all the work themselves, they'd just find a planet with some nice tech and assimilate it and also as they get more people assimilated those peoples knowledge of the technology would be added to the borg and a few reconfigurations later you have borg with all the knowledge/tech of the SW universe and the ability to adapt to counter anything thrown at them

Sith Borg would be pretty cool... Probably not really possible due to the nature of the force, but damn cool none the less.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

You do realise that the premise of star trek was that humans are in an exploration phase looking for new life forms, to go where no ones gone before. The premise of star wars is that for over a thousand Millenia the Jedi were guardians of peace throught the galaxy. Therefore starwars represents a well evolved space interconnected space travelling species, where the Galaxy has been mapped and explored before the millennia of the Jedi. Again even if the physics of both universes were comparable (which they are not) its not worth a comparing a young exploring space race against one which has finished its exploration a 1000 years previous.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join