It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose tech is better: 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars'?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Your forgetting though one important issue, star wars uses lasers.

A laser, no matter the power level cannot defeat the shields of any federation ship, period.

There is even an episode where the enterprise is attacked with high powered laser weapons, and the crew is litterally laughing about it.

Precard even laughs and mentions that lasers can't even penetrate their navigational shields, these aren't even combat shields that need to be turned on, these are always on shields that repel micro meteors etc when just flying around.

Star wars weaponry is a joke, they are innacurate, missing more often than hitting, and not doing much even when they hit.

Sorry man t the star wars entire galaxy would get pwned by only afew federation ships.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Your forgetting though one important issue, star wars uses lasers.

A laser, no matter the power level cannot defeat the shields of any federation ship, period.

There is even an episode where the enterprise is attacked with high powered laser weapons, and the crew is litterally laughing about it.

Precard even laughs and mentions that lasers can't even penetrate their navigational shields, these aren't even combat shields that need to be turned on, these are always on shields that repel micro meteors etc when just flying around.

Star wars weaponry is a joke, they are innacurate, missing more often than hitting, and not doing much even when they hit.

Sorry man t the star wars entire galaxy would get pwned by only afew federation ships.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by AthlonSavage

This ones a no brainer

Startrek

Why, because they have the technology to beam 3D objects into any point of a vessel or planet

Again...nope. Can't beam through shields.
(and unlike the Federation, most planets in the Star Wars galaxy have planetary shields even).
edit on 17-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

The Borgs tractor beams drains shields. So after the shield is gone the Borgs cutting beams would carve up anything in the SW universe. Not to mention Borg ships can regenerate.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Ok so beam an anti mattter bomb just outside shield range. I heard in star trek the motion picture that if the enterprise denonated the anti device next to Vega the robot ship whci is a 1000 miles long it would envelop it. I still see the ability to beam matter across space as giving Star trek winning hand.
edit on 17-5-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As far as I remember Star Trek also has several time travel capable vessels and even Temporal transporters so that kind of makes anything the Star Wars universe could do a moot point

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Good point Startrek technooloy encompasses time travel ability. Theres another strong reason why Starwars will lose.

The star hand held phasers would also clean up Starwars Jedi and a robot tin army as the can be be placed on a setting to project a continuous beam, which makes it hard for targets to hide or return fire on battle fields.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Assuming that every species in both universes can work together, this is how i would kick Star Wars universe to oblivion.

1)Send a few changelings and Undine(species 8472) to infiltrate basic military compounds and learn their tech secrets.
2)Send Borg to assimilate lower species.
3)Then send a few Borg cubes to take care of Death Star and co.
4) For ground battles along with Klingons and Breen,as the main force, we send some Jem' Hadar and Hirogen, which have stealth capabilities to out flank the SW troops.
5)Jedi knights can be easily dealt with one Q. But if you don't want to use Q, Species 8472 and Devidians have very strong psyonic powers that would make the Jedi dance the mambo. We can even use Orion women for the noob jedis.
Also the prophets(DS9) can be used against the force.
6)Destroy a planet....no problem. Upload a virus to the system to take the shields offline and then use a doomsday machine to make a new asteroid belt. Or create a black hole with a few drops of red matter and send the planet along with the shields in a universe far,far away

Star Trek wins.(and i didn't use all the means and species available)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm glad I started this thread. This is incredibly entertaining. I'm really enjoying the friendly back and forth arguments.

I'm also finding out I really don't know as much about each genre as I thought I did.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
its would only take ONE borg drone (out of an army of trillions) to inject nanoprobes into one weary / dead / unawares jedi and the borg would instantly assimilate the little critters that allow people to use the force.

I don't think there would be anything anyone could do against an army in the trillions working with one mind and able to use the force.

Death star? no problem. A small borg vessel could transwarp into the interior, bypassing any shields, and self destruct. Big badda boom

Solar system swarming with star wars ships? no problem.....just send a warp probe into the interior of the sun and detonate a trilithium bomb causing instant supernova

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The Borg Cube alone brings victory to Star Trek. Even though Star Wars is a better story.
~$heopleNation

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This might be a little off topic~sorry~.
This is an interview with the cast of Star Trek into darkness and because JJ Abrams will direct the next Star Wars movie, the reporter asks the actors which character from SW they would like to see their ST characters interact with. It's the very first question(you don't have to see the whole interview) and couple of answers are hilarious.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

Star Wars technology is probably more advanced than the Federation from Star Trek but nothing is ever clearly stated in Star Wars (at least not in the films I've seen) if the technology is human in origin. I find the technology in Star Trek a lot more grounded in reality and I've always preferred Star Trek as a series for the themes it embodies rather than Star Wars which has always just been Knights in space for me.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

This is disputed on so many fansites (of both) that it is pretty much a non-issue.

As for beaming a weapon near the shields, it's a question of megatonnage. Star Wars shield strengths are insanely stated (it's fiction, can do what you want), so the nastiest ST weapons wouldn't even really dent them, Borg included.

However, as mentioned, when accounting for the powers of a godlike being (Q), time travel, and so many other possibilities, Trek is going to own the Empire and the Jedi, no doubt.

But, if just the flagship of the Federation or the flagship of the Borg, etc., an Imperial Super Star Destroyer or Mon Cal Cruiser is going to atomize it. And you can forget the "laser" argument. Even without them, the Star Destroyer has assault concussion missiles.

Look, the Star Wars heavy turbolaser damage is measured in GIGATONS (and a super star destroyer has 250 of them)! Even with this, takes an hour or so of fire to take down another Star Wars capital ship with massive shields (more powerful than Enterprise's) and then durasteel hulls. Yet, only a handful of heavy assault concussion missiles can do the job, so you can only imagine the power of these missiles. Then, you have to consider that there is a swarm of fighters and support ships that can also deliver such missiles and bombs to the enemy (and would be difficult to target by the enemy's limited rate of fire and number of weapons).

A Trek photon torpedo is about 64 megatons. We've seen what a few of those can do to even a fully shielded Enterprise. Now imagine those shields standing up to a few proton torpedoes fired from a TIE Defender (fighter)...doing oddly enough, 64.4 megatons each (concussion missiles do even more). So, just ONE TIE Defender fighter (which has shields by the way) carrying its standard 4 missile complement could actually take out the Enterprise! (and one super star destroyer has 12 squadrons of these defenders!)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Gaz, I have to say, that was priceless bro.
I also have to say that in my mind, the case ios closed now.

.........Nah, love this debate too much to quit now. Let me think about this for awhile so I can come up with a retort that is even 1/4 as interesting as you just gave. That was some good stuff. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You do make a very good point about weapons power in SW being off the charts.

I simple hand held thermal detonator, in effect, just vaporises all matter in a 10 meter radius, I believe it was 10 meters, I suck at remebering numbers.

And the concussion missiles are crazy powerful.

Also though, somthing that strangely hasn't been mentioned yet, the power scources of the death star and super star destroyers.

Yes star trek has a matter anti matter drive.

SW has a hyper matter reactor, what exactly is hyper matter? All I know is that it is stated it is much more powerful than antimatter/matter annihilation, and much more stable.

So why not just make a hyper matter bomb?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Good question, but I believe the principle was perhaps part of what powered a "resonance torpedo".

A resonance torpedo was a missile that was capable of causing a star to supernova by causing a chain reaction in the core. It was developed at the Galactic Empire's hidden Maw Installation and was the primary weapon of the Sun Crusher[1]. These torpedoes, in their prototype form, where used during the Battle of the Sixela system to destroy the Rebel Alliance starfleet. Years later, rogue Jedi Knight Kyp Durron stole the Sun Crusher and used its torpedoes in a rampage against the Empire.

Wow, I just re-read my posts on this thread, and yep, I'm a mega-geek....
*steps up to the podium"
"Hello, my name is Gazrok...and yes, I'm a nerd."
edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Good question, but I believe the principle was perhaps part of what powered a "resonance torpedo".

A resonance torpedo was a missile that was capable of causing a star to supernova by causing a chain reaction in the core. It was developed at the Galactic Empire's hidden Maw Installation and was the primary weapon of the Sun Crusher[1]. These torpedoes, in their prototype form, where used during the Battle of the Sixela system to destroy the Rebel Alliance starfleet. Years later, rogue Jedi Knight Kyp Durron stole the Sun Crusher and used its torpedoes in a rampage against the Empire.

Wow, I just re-read my posts on this thread, and yep, I'm a mega-geek....
*steps up to the podium"
"Hello, my name is Gazrok...and yes, I'm a nerd."
edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I have talked it over with the other science nerds and geeks, and yes, we do elect you our new leader, post haste!!!!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I need to go on that King of the Nerds show
.... Then again, slowly but surely, our home is looking like Nerdvana from the show.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I really wasn't planning on replying... but this topic lacks finesse.

simply put, they wouldn't be ABLe to ally together, the borg NEVER do, and on the star wars side you have the (hope I spell this right) yuuzhan vong. Edge : Par

disregarding those, trek has Q, a mighty force in and of himself. to counter? wars has...... Well best bet would be either of the anakins's, Galen/starkiller, or his mighty awesomness Revan. edge : TREK

Techwise, we can't compare because NEITHER side gives us actual specification's on weapon's, shields, ARMOR, or ya know, Anything to do with actual tech knowledge... Edge: PAR

Number's wise, Wars actually has more races and such, where as trek MIGHT have more OF the actual population's (rather debatable as they never say) Edge :Wars

tactics.. trek doesn't really go into the largescale tactics,whereas wars goes into detail for large small and everything in between, so can't compare. Edge : Wars

Captain's: Kirk, Tough Smart Fast and extreme wrath when ship threatened not so great aim (seriously he misses in firefights ALOT) VERSUS Han, Tough smart fast extreme wrath when ship threatened, looked at the wrong way, insulted, et cetera et cetera, VERY good aim, plus quickdraw gives him the edge.

Picard Diplomat, Decent tactical skills, Wimpy and not very fast, but highly intelligent VERSUS Akbar wimpy,genius, immense tactical skill, but unknown hand to hand capabilities. Edge : Trek

More later, as my time is only so much, but for purposes of this post, Trek: 2 Wars: 3

WINNER : Star Wars

Again, Will post more later, as time permits.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionMaster

simply put, they wouldn't be ABLe to ally together, the borg NEVER do, and on the star wars side you have the (hope I spell this right) yuuzhan vong.

Actually you are wrong. The Borg did ally with the Voyager crew to fight Species 8472. That means that in the face of a greater threat they could ally with the federation and the Klingon Empire. So this point should go to Star Trek.

Number's wise, Wars actually has more races and such, where as trek MIGHT have more OF the actual population's (rather debatable as they never say)

There are hundreds of species in Star Trek
The list is huge and they don't mention races from the novels and the online game. PAR

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join