It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose tech is better: 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars'?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Well one does take place 'a long time ago' and the other around 2300AD.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I know SW has gravity well projectors that are capable of pulling ships out of light speed. Perfect for ambushes. Then there is the nearly indestructible Sun Crusher. A small ship capable of destroying an entire solar system by making its star go super nova. Let's not forget the ion cannon that just shreds shields and disables all electrical components. These are just a few that I can think of in the SW universe. Who needs a Death Star? Well one more thing. Sensor jammers. Star Fleet not being able to tell what's on the ships puts them at an even greater disadvantage.

edit on 16-5-2013 by willzilla because: Reasons

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'd have to side with the Star Trek galaxy on this one.

In addition to the Borg, there is also the Dominion to consider. The Founders and the Jem'Hadar would match up well against the Jedi and Clones. The Ocompa could also give the Jedi a run for their money.

Both the Edo's Guardian and the Ocompa's Caretaker could take out a Death Star, but they don't seem very mobile. And the Death Star would be no match for a Dyson Sphere, although the Sphere couldn't travel. If there are any more Tin Man creatures floating around, they could do a lot of damage to the Imperial Fleet.

Even without Q, there are many creatures in the Star Trek galaxy with Q-like powers, like the Squire of Gothos from TOS, or the old man from the TNG episode "The Survivors".

Technically, though, Species 8472 wasn't in the Star Trek galaxy, they lived in fluidic space.

A real game changer would be if the Federation perfected the phased cloaking technology they were working on in TNGs "The Pegasus". The Empire wouldn't stand a chance against phased cloaked Borg cubes.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
In "The Force Unleashed" 1 jedi used the force to take a ship the size of the enterprise out of the sky.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

All I am going to add at present, is this little tid bit.

The Yuuzhan Vong placed a dovan bassal on the planet Sernpidal, every time its largest moon flew overhead, it was pulled closer and closer to the planet, until its garavity began ripping the planet apart before the inevitable collision.

Hans Solo and Chubacka were rescuing refugies from the planet at the time, and as the planet broke up Chubacka jumped out to lift a couple of stranded kids onto the falcon, as the situation deteriorated, Hans' youngest son, and a truly powerful master jedi, at the tender age of 12, Anakin Solo, knew he had to gun the engines to save everyone else, abandoning Chubacka to his death.

And so passed the mighty Chubacka, long may his kin sing stories of his honor in their worshyk tree homes.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
In "The Force Unleashed" 1 jedi used the force to take a ship the size of the enterprise out of the sky. [/quotactually a star destroyer is much larger than the enterprise.

And Jacen solo, the oldest of Han and Leia's children, a twin, with Jaena Solo, and older brother of Anakin Solo, collapsed an entire planetary shield with the force.

We are talking about the most powerful sith lord in the history of the SW universe here.

He was even more powerful than Darth Plagius( the emporer) or Darth Vader, or even Darth Bain, who single handedly killed the entirety of the upper echelons of the jedi order and the entire sith order at the same time.

Instituting the rule of two for the first time, and cementing sith dominion of the galaxy once and for all.

The rule of two- there should only ever be 2 sith, and no more, a master to hold the power, and a suborinate that to crave and eventually surpass their master to take it. Master and apprentice, embodying all the power of the darkside of the force, concentrating it like never before. The sith masters happiest day of his existance, will, and rightfully should be, the day his apprentice makes a plot he can't see coming and kills him, assuming the throne for himself, before he takes an apprentice of his own.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I can't believe that no one has posted this yet.
It has been on youtube for seven years.

Mike Grouchy

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
its quite simple

OMG! I almost sneezed Mtn Dew out my nose!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is one awsome nerd prom!

As far as I see Q would be an X-factor, as he would probibly get pure enjoyment in seeing both universes duking it out.

If a Jedi uses the mind trick on one borg, do they all surcome to it? Interesting to say the least.

Assuming that the Q factor is not an issue, Star Wars would pwnd StarTrek with one device. The Star Forge. Unlimitied power, ships, and droids. Stick a fork in em' thier done. lol Besides, I think SW characters are much more brutal than ST characters. Personnally, I'd like to see a fight between a Klingon and a Wookie, that would be an awsome match.

edit on 17-5-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I've not seen that before. Thanks, I enjoyed that.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This ones a no brainer

Startrek

Why, because they have the technology to beam 3D objects into any point of a vessel or planet. All they need to do then is beam nuclear devices in to the death stars and large star destroyers. Everuthing then after that is fight the smaller ships running for it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I just downloaded whole 7 seasons and 4 Films of ST TNG.

Thanks to this thread haha!

I personally think ST TNG is the best series out of all of them.

Oh,
I already have all the Star Wars movies, if you presume im one-sided!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I thought Voyager was pretty good too. I never really got in to DS9 though.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

Yes Voyager was interesting, but compared to ST TNG, voyager is still "fresh" in my head.

ST TNG was soo long ago(20 yrs lmao), if i watch it now, i would feel like watching it new.

I mean Jean-Luc Picard is way awesome.

Uukkk, DS9 was stupid, i couldn't watch it. When Enterprise came out, i couldn't get hooked on to it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I need to get all the TNG episodes because I lived in Europe when the show first aired (1987). They didn't make it on TV there until some years later. I caught a lot of them on reruns, but I know there are a lot of episodes I have missed.

The thing I hated about DS9 were the sniveling, scum of the universe Ferengi. How did they ever keep those ears cleaned?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

A real game changer would be if the Federation perfected the phased cloaking technology they were working on in TNGs "The Pegasus". The Empire wouldn't stand a chance against phased cloaked Borg cubes.

The Empire had cloaked ships too, during the Thrawn years. Again though, if taking the math values from each universe and comparing, the Borg cube's weapon wouldn't even dent a Star Destroyer's shields. A simple matter of power comparison. Of course, you have to allow that Star Wars power levels are somewhat arbitrarily assigned, with no real science ideas behind them...but then, really, Star Trek is fantasy also...so there you go.

The Jedi don't really factor into it too much, in the grand scheme, other than the communications advantage. But things like Q and time travel of course, trump the game. So, if just tech? Then Star Wars, if considering the power of the beings in those universes? Star Trek, no contest.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

The thing I hated about DS9 were the sniveling, scum of the universe Ferengi. How did they ever keep those ears cleaned?

Their unclothed females, I would imagine....

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

This ones a no brainer

Startrek

Why, because they have the technology to beam 3D objects into any point of a vessel or planet

Again...nope. Can't beam through shields.
(and unlike the Federation, most planets in the Star Wars galaxy have planetary shields even).
edit on 17-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Their unclothed females, I would imagine....

YUCK!! Thanks for resparking that brain cell. I need a bourbon to kill that one again.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

You asked....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join