It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Attitude.....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by USArmyEngineer
Hey Damned, I can and will say: I hate all left wing nutjobs who never know when to shut their mouths and quit whining. Then again, I hate a lot of things but as liberals like ot point out, I have that right don't I?

No offense, unless you are a leftwing nutjob...then

Wow, I guess you hit the nail here, defining the topic..

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
seller dont' like metal forks because they are not reliable markets, means that you use them until they breaks, which is unlikely, so they sell platic wares, so you can spend on your wares again and again and again, where you only need one fork to finish all meals, so that the seller's money could roll continously in a stream. One counter argument is to say that the plastic forks are free to have, but trust me, the money is paid by you in your meals, although little for one time, it adds up to hundreds of metal forks in years, would you buy a hundred metal forks in 2 years? Fast food is the driving force and faithful support market for this kinds of captalistic blackhole. Another argument is to say that it is already there, i didn't seek them for using, why resist while it is there? That is an idea with no logic, if no one uses them, why should the sellers ship even more? They ship them out because you use them.

I don't care about the environment as much, but if the oil companies ever do a clean up when they drill holes, I will be happy.

Originally posted by Simulacra
Just a short story for you guys.

I was eating in a diner with my friend from Spain. He invited one his friends from England to eat with us. We get our meals, find a table and begin to eat. I picked up my plastic fork and was about to shove a forkfull of peas into my mouth when the guy said 'Why are you using a plastic fork? You should use a metal one.' Of course i'm thinking to myself, who is this guy so I responded back with 'Why?'. Then he goes on to tell me how plastic forks hurt the environment and that if I want to help the enviornment, I should use a metal fork because they are re-usable and cause less waste. I look at him, look at my fork, look at him again and said 'It's a fork, there are hundreds of plasticforks in the silverware area. I chose a plastic fork, because that's what I'm used to. One fork is not going to hurt the enviornment. It can be recycled anyways.' The he tells me that if there is no demand for plastic forks, then they won't be made. Wtf. The last thing I said to the guy was 'Look, the fork is already made, it's there in a huge box for people to pick from. There is no demand. It's an option. A plastic fork isnt going to save the enviornment. People are being beheaded, women raped, soldiers being killed, and you want to save the enviornment by banning plastic forks?'

Then he said to me 'That's a very American Attitude'

Can someone please explain to me where this guy even gets off telling me that?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia

Originally posted by USArmyEngineer

Originally posted by Damned
Everyone who disagrees secretly thinks the opposing party are idiots. That's no big secret. I'm not a left wing nut job, so I take no offense. I don't see people as "left" or "right." I see them as either cognizant or ignorant.

Well I can't argue with that logic.

I Have a question!!!!!!!!!

Conservatist people in america, How is their life
THey are against gay, against sex, they go to church everysunday to confess their sins, they like guns, they like war, they do everthing the president says, they agree with everything the president says like it

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
if i dont remember the US government seized its freedom by force?
also the UN has actually done many good things but ofcourse the bad always out shines the good.
mind you it wont get its collateral damage up to americas
damm you guys must be proud

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
if i dont remember the US government seized its freedom by force?
also the UN has actually done many good things but ofcourse the bad always out shines the good.
mind you it wont get its collateral damage up to americas
damm you guys must be proud

Um, yeah thats why Red China got accepted. The question is why didn't Taiwan get accepted? Maybe you should read more carefully

It also seems that the people supporting the UN fail to notice the good in America too. Go figure huh?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Um, yeah thats why Red China got accepted. The question is why didn't Taiwan get accepted? Maybe you should read more carefully

they didnt get accepted because they are a provence of china, if you read up.

It also seems that the people supporting the UN fail to notice the good in America too. Go figure huh?

really so the good america does under UN peace keeping missions, yes no?
or is that UN flag on the flag poles just an optical illusion.
get real, the UN has stopped america,russia and most of the world from createing weapons like anthrax. unless you like those weapons, then you would not have a problem with that. or do you like seeing inocent childs being killed by agent orange? cough vietnam cough!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by vibetic
Just a thought:

Have all americans writing the threads in the style of 'everyone hates us', 'why world hates us ? ', 'why europeans hate us ?' considered that someone who didn't even know he's supposed to hate US might get it all wrong ? Someone might think: "I really hasn't anything against US, but if everyone else hates US, then perhaps I should ?"

And someone might doubt his own position, but when he sees all the american threads 'confirming' that all the world hates US and pondering why, he might think: "Wow, I was right, everybody else hates america too! So I can bash US even more and perhaps become a terrorist".

I'm not criticizing anyone, just suggesting that in the future people would ask "In the hypothetical and imaginary situation that world would hate US..." instead of autoassuming world hates US (it doesn't) and just going straight to the why part.

Remember: Lie told long enough becomes the 'truth'

Ok I get your point, we certainly don't want that. I think there should be more threads about Americans trying to destroy that 'myth' , that stereotype and that many of us don't fit that stereotype, rather than complaining about it. But most people I know that are not American's who disagree/dislike our politics have actually lived in America. They have seen first hand some of the stereotypical attitudes but they also know that there are many of us who don't fit that category.

There is also a stereotype of the south but we should all know better than to generalize as well.

I hate to be put in a nice little neat category myself.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by LostSailor

they didnt get accepted because they are a provence of china, if you read up.

really so the good america does under UN peace keeping missions, yes no?
or is that UN flag on the flag poles just an optical illusion.
get real, the UN has stopped america,russia and most of the world from createing weapons like anthrax. unless you like those weapons, then you would not have a problem with that. or do you like seeing inocent childs being killed by agent orange? cough vietnam cough!

Please show your information on this? Since when did the UN prevent the US, Russia, and any other part of the world from creating weapons like anthrax? And if they are so good at preventing weapons manufacturing, why haven't they stopped ALL nuclear weapons programs- US, Russia, North Korea, etc.....?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by knights5629

Please show your information on this? Since when did the UN prevent the US, Russia, and any other part of the world from creating weapons like anthrax? And if they are so good at preventing weapons manufacturing, why haven't they stopped ALL nuclear weapons programs- US, Russia, North Korea, etc.....?

UN chemical resolution

"After 12 years of negotiations, the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) was adopted by the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva on 3 September 1992."

so the UN does not try and stop the use of chemical weapons.
here is another source.

"The United States, which has started to destroy its chemical weapons, has a stockpile of about 30,000 tons. Russia has declared 40,000 tons."
many weapons are being destroyed and not being created, they cant stop all but they can try and stop at least some.

here is the bad side though .

"In any event, four nations make a short list indeed. And now that the Chemical Weapons Convention has entered into force, many people believe that the struggle to banish lethal chemical munitions has been won. But it is too early to celebrate."

another snippet

"In the United States, the discussion of the proliferation of chemical weapons is highly politicized. Typically, U.S. officials will only point their fingers at the current list of "rogue nations." For instance, in testimony before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence last February, CIA Director George Tenet said that some 20 countries, among them Iran, Iraq, and Syria, have or are actively developing chemical and biological weapons. By identifying only three states by name, Tenet chose, or was directed, to name one less state than his predecessor John Deutch had named the year before. He omitted North Korea. This omission is particularly troubling in light of the testimony--at the same Senate hearing--by the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), Lt. Gen. Patrick Hughes, that "a Korean war scenario remains our primary near-term military concern"

now on to nuclear weapons

"The General Assembly, expressing deep concern regarding the growing dangers posed by the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, would reaffirm the importance of achieving the universality of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), and call on States not parties to the Treaty to accede to it as non-nuclear weapon States, according to one of nine drafts approved this afternoon by the First Committee (Disarmament and International Security)."

now this was the first attempt to stop nuclear weapons BUT the US and india didnt vote for it, they wanted nuclear weapons and only signed the nuclear testing treaty.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Everyone, the American attitude can be summed up in two words: violence and fear.

Violence? I'll use an example everyone can relate to: sports. Watch "Baseball's Greatest Rivalries" on DVD and that'll explain it all. In the 2003 ALCS, violence between the Red Sox and Yankees is what gave Fox the ratings and sold the tickets. Kevin Millar said something relatively simply but now I realize how telling it really is. He says "It was the heated rivalry everyone wanted to see, but it also took away from the teams going out and competing." That tells you all you need to know.

As for fear, fear is the sparkplug. Americans do a lot of the things they do simply out of fear. Americans here, find something you've never done out of fear. It's pretty tough! For an America, everything eventually comes down to fear.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Everyone, the American attitude can be summed up in two words: violence and fear.

Violence? I'll use an example everyone can relate to: sports. Watch "Baseball's Greatest Rivalries" on DVD and that'll explain it all. In the 2003 ALCS, violence between the Red Sox and Yankees is what gave Fox the ratings and sold the tickets. Kevin Millar said something relatively simply but now I realize how telling it really is. He says "It was the heated rivalry everyone wanted to see, but it also took away from the teams going out and competing." That tells you all you need to know.

As for fear, fear is the sparkplug. Americans do a lot of the things they do simply out of fear. Americans here, find something you've never done out of fear. It's pretty tough! For an America, everything eventually comes down to fear.

I do have fear when I go to USA....all those troopers watchin and stoping cars and asking all kind of questions with an attitude...those light sign on higways saying "see any suspicious activities, call security".... Everywhere I go, even hotel, they ask my age...How can you feel safe in places like that!!!???? Thay make everyhting to make people scared

IBM

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

I do have fear when I go to USA....all those troopers watchin and stoping cars and asking all kind of questions with an attitude...those light sign on higways saying "see any suspicious activities, call security".... Everywhere I go, even hotel, they ask my age...How can you feel safe in places like that!!!???? Thay make everyhting to make people scared

What is wrong with Police doing their job and watching. That is how police are taught. They are taught to be observant. If you dont want to live in a place where there is no police go ahead. Fine by me. So next time sometghing happens to you dont dial 911, because they aint coming for you. If I see something suspicious I will damn well report it. Just yesterday someone reported suspicious activiities a few miles from where I live and guess what. The Police made a $5 million marajuana bust, it was on the same road where my bro and sis when to High School. Im glad someone reported those suspicious activities.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   

The Police made a $5 million marajuana bust, it was on the same road where my bro and sis when to High School. Im glad someone reported those suspicious activities.

Got to watch out for those evil, nasty Marijuana growers..... oooogaboooga!!! Why all the fear and paranoia people?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
its the least you could expect while traversing the boarders, and high trade areas. im a nice white kid from the burbs i could get away with blooody murder, its quit once you get into the white neigborhoods just because no one is ever out. our cops have really nice equipment, they can pounce on you like nothing, but still they lack in numbers and theres lots of open land with nothing but drug cartels lol

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

The Police made a $5 million marajuana bust, it was on the same road where my bro and sis when to High School. Im glad someone reported those suspicious activities.

Got to watch out for those evil, nasty Marijuana growers..... oooogaboooga!!! Why all the fear and paranoia people?

I agree. That's a BS law. Marijuana smokers don't sell to random kids, nor do they target schools. That's the biggest bunch of Bologna I've ever heard. It ranks right up there with the old time propaganda that pot smokers go ape $hit and kill people for no apparent reason.
The pot that does get into schools is usually through an older brother or sister. That's the way we got it when I was in school. Someone always had an older brother or something. Never has it been "pushed" on me.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Damned]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
[What is wrong with Police doing their job and watching. That is how police are taught. They are taught to be observant. If you dont want to live in a place where there is no police go ahead. Fine by me. So next time sometghing happens to you dont dial 911, because they aint coming for you. If I see something suspicious I will damn well report it. Just yesterday someone reported suspicious activiities a few miles from where I live and guess what. The Police made a $5 million marajuana bust, it was on the same road where my bro and sis when to High School. Im glad someone reported those suspicious activities.

Where I LIVE, the police are nice to people, they are a part of community. I can walk downtown at night and not be scared...people are not afraid of police, we have a soft way to control crime and I guess it works...compare our crime rate and yours.....
Everybody know that Montreal is one of the safest city in north america
We don't work by fear, we work by softness
The more autority, the more there is crime...people rebel against autority

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[edit on 11/11/04 by Amelia]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Wow, glad to hear that! Those evil potsmokers!! And on the same road where you went to school, wow!, almost a near death experience.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
911 seemed like the comeing of armageddon for some people. Like the U.S. was being punished for her "sinful" ways.
That movie "The Passion" had millions headed for the theaters. There was an uproar in Alabama for the Ten Commandents being removed from a courthouse there.
After 911 alot of the nation's minds turned toward religion. Alot of Americans started thinking we need to "get right" or be doomed. Did Bush capitalize on America's fears?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
it much more then religious affirmation, its a matter of syphoning out your corupted view of reality, a view which im sad to say is rampant in todays culture. more so dr phil is the dumbest man on earth, change your outlook is all you need. to some the heavy handed responsibility it takes to accomplish this is a cry too far from the media indulging apathetic attitude so easily and enticingly subject for all to consume. deny deny deny, and pick up a friggin book!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I read an interesting point a while back.

America and Europe are polar opposites on at least one point. In Europe, extreme violence is generally censored to a degree (or was) but sex is freely depicted. In America you can show considerably more gratuitous violence but a boob will get the complaint lines tied up.

I dunno how true it is anymore, but Janet's boob sure gave prudent christians seizures.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join