It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Attitude.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
That if, we had to protect ourselves alone minus any form of goverment, I do believe that all "Americans would unite to protect our sacred ground regardless of race, religion, sexual prefrence etc.. and that attitude is what makes us diffrent from the rest of the world.

I think you underestimate the rest of the world, frankly. People, in general, tend to help each other out when things get really bad. But we really haven't had many events that showed anything like you're describing, IMO. When people are dying, as in 9/11, you'd have to be one cold bastard not to help out if you can. It's kind of just human nature, I think.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
America's allies have drasticly changed in a matter of 4 years since GWB took office.

Here's some simple proof,

Yesterday George W. Bush took congratulatory calls on the re-election from world leaders such as Russia, Poland, Iraq, Afghanistan (US hand puppets), Israel and Italy..

We should be taking calls from strong UN countries such as Germany, Spain, Canada, Sweden, Portugal and perhaps France should leave a message

You call Canada strong, but RUSSIA is not? Give me a freaking break!

Not a single country you mentioned can hold Russias jock in the "strength" department. And funny you didn't mention the UK or Australia - out two BIGGEST allies.

You are living in liberal la-la land buddy - wake up! Did you call what Spain did STRONG when they crumbled under terrorist pressure? And France - ohhhhh yes, those beacons of stregth

Your idea of "strength" is what the rest of the world consider WEAKNESS.

What we should be doing is what we ARE doing. Finding out who are real friends are and whos not.

Personally, I hope we develope relations with Russia over every nation you mentioned. Russia holds more respect with me then every country you mentioned combined.

Stop thinking that the UN is the answere - IT ISN'T. The sooner we get away from the UN the better.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
You are living in liberal la-la land buddy - wake up! Did you call what Spain did STRONG when they crumbled under terrorist pressure? And France - ohhhhh yes, those beacons of stregth

I consider France and Canada smart, actually. We should be as neutral. Then we wouldn't have terrorist problems right now. It's this "America - Super Power - Policemen of the World" attitude that is causing our allies to think twice about being our allies.

What we should be doing is what we ARE doing. Finding out who are real friends are and whos not.

Problem is, we have a long history of turning on our "friends" when it suits us. The US doesn't really help anyone, unless they can benefit from it. This is what people are getting tired of seeing, especially when we claim we're doing it out of the kindness in our hearts.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Can someone please attempt to answer my question? This has been puzzling me for days now.

I believe his comment was to assume that Americans are consumers that care only about themselves, not others, or the environment, etc.

Somehow, I doubt we're the only nation on Earth that uses plastic forks...

You could of course lecture him on how arcane the idea of a monarchy is, but then he'd likely counter with "well then why do YOU have one?"

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
You are living in liberal la-la land buddy - wake up!

- 49% of the USA is hardly so foreign to you AMM. Wake up!

Did you call what Spain did STRONG when they crumbled under terrorist pressure?

- OK, one more time.

This claim is a complete lie (and you know it, it has been explained to you often enough) . Spain did not crumble under 'terrorist' pressure.

The Spainish Government of Prime Minister Aznar was caught 100% guilty at trying to 'use' the Madrid bombing for narrow selfish political ends.

That was why they were thrown out as any gov would have been in similar circumstances anywhere.

It was a victory for the Spainish people, not Al Quaeda. Wake up and stop lying(?....what description do you think is fair?) about this!

And France - ohhhhh yes, those beacons of stregth

- But not so comically weak or hostile for you to be refusing their military help in Afghanistan, right now, huh?

Just because they don't agree with the war in Iraq some Americans feel the need to act like little kids and endlessly whine, bitch and cry about France and the French. What a bore.

- Well people of a certain view-point keep claiming this kind of thing but I just hear it from them, no-one else.

- LMAO. Very funny AMM. This is part of what I mean.

Instead of the camper and camper macho routines surely what would be best for you would be expanding and strengthening your alliances?

Personally, I hope we develope relations with Russia over every nation you mentioned. Russia holds more respect with me then every country you mentioned combined.

-
Russia is even more suspicious of America's gov and her motives than ever. Good luck.

Stop thinking that the UN is the answere - IT ISN'T. The sooner we get away from the UN the better.

- Yeah, what the world needs is even less unity and the destruction of those few institutions which provide for us all to be able to come together.

Anyone would think the USA wasn't a prime mover in creating the UN or something!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
sminkeypinkey I'm with you all the way!

but one i want to know is how americans can mistake chocolate for turkey , just a question.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Stop thinking that the UN is the answere - IT ISN'T. The sooner we get away from the UN the better

AMM, Sminkey has covered most points, but i think i should offer an insight here. The reason the UN is unable to act is because of the power of the big 5 (those with the veto). They use the veto when it suits them, thus blocking any action which could actually help. Need I mention the US has vetoed ALL resolutions that mention Israel and Palestine....

And you cannot just leave the UN. No nation can leave the UN. the only way is to be expelled, this was built in to prevent the fiasco of the League of nations, where Germany and others left because they didnt like being told off...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
EDIT: never mind

[edit on 5-11-2004 by electric squid carpet]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I have 5 Texan friends. 4 of whom are devistated by the Bush win. Whoever seems to think Texas is full of Republican cowboys has no idea. That goes for many who actually live there.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I have 5 Texan friends. 4 of whom are devistated by the Bush win. Whoever seems to think Texas is full of Republican cowboys has no idea. That goes for many who actually live there.

That was me. The entire south is full of republican rednecks, IMO. If the polls are even close to accurate, Texas and the south speaks for itself.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Damned]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Rednecks?

What's a 'redneck' there Damned?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Rednecks?

What's a 'redneck' there Damned?

Redneck is a tough one to define. It's generally one who is lacking in education, and the ability to learn. Rednecks aren't just your average ignorant fools, though. It's inbred into them, and reinforced with years of hanging out with people who think (or don't think, rather) as they do. Most rednecks have missing or rotting teeth, drive pickup trucks with confederate flags in the rear window, and speak in the heaviest southern accent you could possibly imagine. They can't spell because they're almost all high school drop-outs, if they even got that far. They all love guns and have several. The word "came" is always replaced with the word "come" in any sentence using the word. (This is just one example of their dialect. There are many more.) Grammar and brain power are not their strong suits, yet they're very proud to be rednecks. It's sort of their heritage. I think you get the idea? They're the founders of the KKK, and other closed minded, bigoted organizations. While some say there are rednecks everywhere, you'll only find this specific breed in the south.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Damned]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
*shakes head*

Well.....that's quite the defining definition, eh?
Btw, in your use and understanding of the word 'redneck', and its being placed as a label on those such Republican's, would the stereotypical label of 'redneck' not also apply to those Democrat's that would also reside within the boundries of Texas and the South?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
Redneck is a tough one to define..... Rednecks aren't just your average ignorant fools, though. ....there are rednecks everywhere...

I'm sorry, this is classic.

Youve been watching too much Foxworthy.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

*shakes head*

Well.....that's quite the defining definition, eh?
Btw, in your use and understanding of the word 'redneck', and its being placed as a label on those such Republican's, would the stereotypical label of 'redneck' not also apply to those Democrat's that would also reside within the boundries of Texas and the South?

Sure, I'm sure there are a few who are democrats too. You'd have to have lived in the south to understand, really. Until you meet these people and see them in every day life, you can't possibly grasp the meaning of "redneck". Jeff Foxworthy gives a good impression of a redneck, but "redneck" is a lifestyle that can't be accurately portrayed by a comedian, IMO. Rednecks are the people you see on Jerry Springer, or some Cops episodes.
Most of what Foxworthy says about rednecks is true, though, believe it or not. That's why it's funny. He's not exaggerating, but nor is he representing the scariest traits of rednecks.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What is a redneck ??

Well...that term has been around for a long time...

Wikipedia, defines it as a term that originates from Scotland...

The word redneck originates from Scotland and refers to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, otherwise known as Covenanters - largely lowland Presbyterians.

The Covenanters in the mid 1600's signed documents that stated Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church. To signify their desire, many Covenanters signed the documents in their own blood, would spill their blood to keep this from happening and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia - hence the term Redneck.

These Scottish Presbyterians migrated from their lowland Scottish home to Ulster (the northern province of Ireland) during the 17th Century and soon settled in considerable numbers in North America across the 18th Century. In America these settlers are known as Scotch-Irish and since many (especially in what would become the South) were Presbyterian, the term was bestowed to them and their descendants. Essentially, a redneck is a Scottish Presbyterian.

en.wikipedia.org...

Today it is defined as a different term...

The term derives from such individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The effect of decades of direct sunlight on the exposed skin of the back of the neck not only reddens fair skin, but renders it leathery and tough, and typically very wrinkled by late middle age.

From the same link as above...

These are the farmers and mid class workers, that are the back bone of this country...

I for one, am a redneck, and I am damn proud of it...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Rednecks?

I always enjoy a dialog that obliquely makes note of how colorful the ways of us simple country folk are here in the good old U.S. of A.

After all, who could resist the chance to take a swipe at the one group of people its still okay to make fun of: Toothless Hillbillies.

Shucks howdy, I sometimes forget when I'm out hunting squirrels how some folk prefer to do things like sitting around reading and thinking. Why do people decide to up and waste time like that for? Of course, Im not really like most hill folk, because in my county we marry outside the family, you see. Us western sub-hominids keep our interests confined to first cousins and sheep.

When I'm out camping, you know, where you sleep outside on purpose? Well, when I'm out there I usually ain't thinking about what it's like to discuss Kant over latts at the cybercaf or trumpet my knowledge of obscure Brooklyn Dodgers statistics over a bucket of oysters. Im not poring over stacks of technical journals looking for the Next Big Thing or maintaining a blog.

Nope, Im usually not doing much of anything at all, except looking around and thinking.

I notice that sometimes city folk seem to think Im stupid because I wear a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun off, and I tend to slouch a bit, and let my jaw hang open a little too wide, and drool a little, and have spilled gas on my shoes, and havent had a chance to bathe much this month, and have an unzipped fly, and have a big old dip of Copenhagen tucked under my lip (because this aint Skoal country, mister) and scratch myself absently while sitting tipped back on a creaky old wooden chair smoking a corncob pipe. And yes, I breathe through my mouth.

When I see them city slickers staring at me so smug, it makes me just want to tip up my chair, put down my whittling, use the spittoon, finish off the tin cup of shine Im holding, wipe my mouth off with the back of my sleeve, cock back the hammers on my double barrel and shoot me a couple of cans off the fence, then dance from one foot to the other while hooting and hollering in a festive, rustic manner and shaking my smoking shotgun in the air.

Because the life of a dull, slow-witted provincial is filled with merriment, after all. On Saturday nights I take a bath whether I need one or not and then its off to play the banjo at the hoedown. Yep, nothing like a night full of square-dancing and yodeling to make for a short Sunday morning.

But despite the heavy demands of our busy lives filled with bucolic charm and endless comedic escapades, we manage to find time to contemplate the intricacies of the universe now and then, and its amazing some of the things people come up with around here.

Why just the other day the Calhouns daughter out-philosophized Pastor Brown right there in church in front of God and everybody. Shes got a good head on her shoulders, but needs to learn to mind her tongue and not go speaking to men-folk unless shes been spoken to first.

Some of the most insightful and introspective people Ive ever known are called rednecks. If you want to know where most of Americas philosophers live, look in Flyover Country.

Now, time to hunt me up a possum for supper

[edit on 11/6/2004 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I agree about Texas there is only one part that I like and that is Austin and
Austin is not even like the rest of Texas.

I think we should split Alaska down the Middle and make Texas the third
biggest state in the Union thereby reducing the 10 gallon Hat to 5 gallons

P.S. you can fill a 5 gallon hat with a lot less hot air and bull crap.

geo

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ok, it's obvious that you don't know what a redneck is. You sound like you're talking about Hatfield and McCoys type hillbillies, rather than rednecks. There's a difference between country folk and rednecks. Rednecks don't even live in the country, most of the time. They live in trailer parks, apartments, and some do have houses within city limits.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The term "Redneck" you are using doesnt mean anybody of the white race actually. That term started back in the 1800-1900's refering to people of Mexican heritage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join