It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create human stem cells through cloning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I was bored browsing Yahoo news when I came across this interesting article. As a person who is very supportive of science my eyes opened wide with awe as I read this article. To be honest this is a great achievement in helping people with illnesses like heart disease and other devastating conditions.

Dr. Shoukhrat Mitalipov, a senior scientist at the Oregon National Primate Research Center in an undated photo. After more than 15 years of failures by scientists around the world and one outright fraud, biologists have finally created human stem cells by the same technique that produced Dolly the cloned sheep in 1996: They transplanted genetic material from an adult cell into an egg whose own DNA had been removed. REUTERS/Oregon Health & Science University

This is a summery of the article. You can read the entire article in the source link.

Source

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
A video I found on YouTube that is related to the Article.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here's a selfless bump and additional information for my thread. I'm surprise no one is interested in this subject. I mean come on. Just trying to get other members interested.

AlterNet Source

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Where do nations laws usually govern on this sort of research?

Seem to remember not long back all this sort of research was either banned, along with cloning on the grounds that it is somewhat un-ethical and is very much apposed by a few powerful nations from what appear to be religious objections.

Because this sort of research is the beginning of bio-engineering, a potentialy be all and end all type of technology to control and exert influence over.
edit on 16-5-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

The ban was lifted by Obama in his first years of presidency on certain type of cells, the issue was cells used from fetuses.

This was done because while Bush push for strick ban and limitations on stem cell, in the US, other countries were not and they were becoming ahead of the US.

When my daughter was a student in cell biology in UGA during the Bush administration she did research on stem cells and they were able to see how the cells will reproduce to form ears and noses.

She loved the research but the limitations were terrible due to the ban on what they were able to accomplish.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is amazing!
Obviously, as with any "big leap" it includes the potential of great good and great evil, it is OUR responsibility, not the government's to make sure this results in an improvement for the majority.

S & F my friend.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Listen, this cloning crap and playing God stuff needs to stop. I agree there are some good uses to this but we all know what happens when TPTB get this kind of technology.....It is used for evil things everytime ALL the time!!

Let's look into cures, not clones! Stop worrying about kicking government or big pharma to the curb and let's just find cures for ailments not replacing parts with cloned parts! I don't like hearing stuff like this, sorry.....

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Cheers for the info man,

At least that is one very very smart thing Obama has done, the research and technology this science can provide has almost limitless potential and should hopefully propel us further into a higher stage of civilization.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

The potential for this is nearly limitless...if nothing else than for the ridiculous amounts of research purposes.

I can see a future where you clone, and store a bank of your own stem cells for future use.

S+F

top topics

join