It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Think I Should Quit Teaching

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by smyleegrl

Is there really only ONE in your area? Is a little bit of a commute out of the question? (I have to drive an hour for work, but audio books help, a lot).

I live in a very small town. The nearest private school that isn't religious is 90 minutes away. That's more than I'm willing to drive.

I've got more upcoming interviews with other schools, maybe just getting away from my current school will help.

If you are unwilling to move then you are allowing yourself to be stuck. I am not saying it's an easy thing to do, but there are options available for good teachers IF they are willing to relocate. Imagine a student saying, "I am unwilling to budge on this....." and they are failing. You have admitted that your not happy and apparently unwilling to budge. So, you have very few choices and the worst one imho is a life you look back upon and are disappointed and always say, "What if...".

Please reconsider moving. Get the hell out of that small town. There are GREAT options available for gifted teachers. I truly do wish you well.

The problem with moving is that we just bought our house about three years ago. Houses are not selling now where we live....there are for sale signs up and down our subdivision and they've been there for at least a year (some longer). Unless we could sell our house, we could not afford our mortgage and rent/mortgage somewhere else (my husband is a teacher, too). So, until the market improves, we're stuck.

I really believe, the more I think about it, that its this school environment that's got me so down. We have a new principal and he's clueless...but even worse, he's malicious, narcissistic, and plays favorites. Our teachers are really suffering under him, but I don't know how to resolve that problem.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. Much appreciated!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Back in 2006 one of my teachers stated that it has become their jobs to influence those they teach regardless of how the child is raised. She said it has become her duty to influence kids to learn. I agree with this to some point. When I learn I want to learn about the subject matter, not the teachers personal opinion of it.

You are a teacher, yet here on ATS. What do you hope to gain by posting what you have on a conspiracy/alt news website? Back round checks are normal for a job. Why are teachers not subjected to teaching practice? A practice where it is mandatory to exclude your own opinion on a subjects matter.

I love to rant... Here is some more.

Back in 1994 I remember some old guy at a gas station complaining about the new generation. He kept saying were going to be the downfall of this country. 19 years later and look what is going on... I am even saying the same #ing thing about these new generation of kids. Sure, it starts with the parents, but in the end it ends up being the teacher that influences those they teach to KEEP LEARNING

So please. Keep teaching.
edit on 17-5-2013 by TruthSeekersRUS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

You are a teacher, yet here on ATS. What do you hope to gain by posting what you have on a conspiracy/alt news website? Back round checks are normal for a job. Why are teachers not subjected to teaching practice? A practice where it is mandatory to exclude your own opinion on a subjects matter.
reply to post by TruthSeekersRUS

It's a rant, on a website where I have good friends and where I believe the majority of members are intelligent.

I've posted similar rants on educational websites, the thing is....so are thousands of other teachers. No one appears to be listening.

And I'm sorry, I don't know what kind of teachers you've had that told you what to believe. That's not the job of a teacher...the oldest children I've taught were fifth grade and my proudest moment ever was when one of them said, "I don't think that's right." He then tried to explain why, and even though he was working from faulty info, the fact that he challenged the status quo was awesome.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Dear smyleegrl,

You did just fine on having your rant, ignore the haters. You did fine and thanks for being a teacher. Peace.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Wish I would have had teachers like you in school instead of the stuffy, narrow minded, institutionalised robots I had as teachers when I was a kid. If you quit, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of kids missing out on the kind of teacher who kids will remember for the rest of their lives for good reason. Or, rise up, become head of the school and make these essential changes the system needs yourself.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I Think I Should Quit Teaching
You are the Universe of your kids(students),the link between the society,family and the rest of the surrounding reality.

Because they spend most of the time in school learning,what you teach them.

In time and time itself is creating a bond between the teacher and his students.

Therefore they love and care their teacher,and would be very sad that that to break this connection .

Many years from now they will remeber the years spent in the school and their teacher(s).

Even when they will get old they will remember smyleegrl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join