It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp drive, just a matter of time?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

It's amazing but it seems that warp drives are just a matter of time. I know that there are several threads made in the past about that NASA worked on this drive for awhile now.But this seems to be more news from testing this theory at Johnson Space Center campus.

To see if space-time distortion has occurred in a lab experiment, the researchers shine two highly targeted lasers: one through the site of the vacuum and one through regular space. The researchers will then compare the two beams, and if the wavelength of the one going through the vacuum is lengthened, i.e. redshifted, in any way, they'll know that it passed through a warp bubble.

White and his team have been at work for a few months now, but they have yet to get a satisfactory reading. The problem is that the field of negative energy is so small, the laser so precise, that even the smallest seismic motion of the earth can throw off the results.

White is now working on recalibrating the laser for the new location. He wouldn't speculate on when his team could expect conclusive data, nor how long until fully actuated warp travel might be possible, but he remains convinced that it's only a matter of time!

A matter of time that cool I hope within my lifetime..
Some reporter asked this scientist Sonny white questions , but seems that ther's allot of secrecy around this project..

"The device looks like a large red velvet doughnut with wires tightly wound around a core, and it's one of two initiatives Eagleworks is pursuing, along with warp drive. It's also secret. When I ask about it, White tells me he can't disclose anything other than that the technology is further along than warp drive ... Yet when I ask how it would create the negative energy necessary to warp space-time he becomes evasive. "That gets into . . . I can tell you what I can tell you. I can't tell you what I can't tell you," he says. He explains that he has signed nondisclosure agreements that prevent him from revealing the particulars. I ask with whom he has the agreements. He says, "People come in and want to talk about some things. I just can't go into any more detail than that."

I wonder if this Time travel article also fits into place?

What's going on are they so close to it?

Technews Daily
Spaceref
Nasawatch

Peace

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
how nice of you to put an image of one of the few non-canon startrek ships
thats the uss reliant

reupload the enterprise! for the children!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Ohw well I thought cannons are not alowed beyond warp space?
You're right the enterprise would be better choice

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
None of this is even close to viable without ridiculous energy densities. The kind that anti-matter brings. I really hope that a high density LENR system can be made which can get close to a few orders of energy density of antimatter. However such technologies are impossible without the oil lobby stepping back.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

...YAAAAAWN...
I'll believe it when I see it!
I still won't be too excited though, I want the holodeck and a transporter!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've never been much a believer in the possibility that somebody could invent a "warp drive" that could be used for travel. It would take way too much power to make it happen, and even more power to keep the thing traveling in it from being crushed or stretched or whatever.

Not only that, if aliens, for instance, used it to get around, you could look up in the sky and see it working. It would bend the sky such that it would be obvious possibly to the naked eye, and certainly to telescopes. Thinking even further along those lines, even if WE developed warp drive in the future, we would see the effect on the stars in the sky, as it would likely bend some of the spacetime back into our time so we could see it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It somewhat amazes me that the people who get to poke and prod at the universe on a professional basis, can fail at the first hurdle in this manner.

The slightest movement of the Earth, whose movement in total is never slight, rather, gargantuan, and at ridiculous speed, will cause the result to be skewed, or inconclusive. Therefore the experiment itself ought not be undertaken on the planet at all, but in space, where the tectonic motion of the Earths crust cannot sully the results.

No doubt some witty, barely functional moron will point out, that to put the equipment necessary to create the circumstances required to create such a "warp bubble" in space, would cost a fortune. Indeed. Well deduced future moron! A free cookie and a ticket to watch the filming of a witless daytime television program are yours!

Right, now that the future dullard has gone to gorge his empty skull on the poison which first evicted his wits, I can point out that the future of mankind depends on our ability to investigate and travel amongst the stars. Much of the resource wars that are fought now, and those which have been fought historically, are based on lies, but there will come a time in the relatively near future (on a cosmological scale that is) where perhaps our resources WILL become so thin on the ground, that we consume ourselves in fire and anguish. With a whimper, caused by a bang perhaps. Chicken, egg.

For this, and a thousand other equally interesting reasons, the cost to the present, of building the future is relatively small, in comparison to the cost to our entire civilisation, our very species, of not forging ahead, and doing all in our power to support that effort.

I doubt there are any NASA types cluttering the boards right now, but just in case:

Build the bloody thing in space, and stop messing about on the edges of the issue. The future of the species depends upon it.
edit on 15-5-2013 by TrueBrit because: Grammar error correction.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
It somewhat amazes me that the people who get to poke and prod at the universe on a professional basis, can fail at the first hurdle in this manner.

The slightest movement of the Earth, whose movement in total is never slight, rather, gargantuan, and at ridiculous speed, will cause the result to be skewed, or inconclusive. Therefore the experiment itself ought not be undertaken on the planet at all, but in space, where the tectonic motion of the Earths crust cannot sully the results.

No doubt some witty, barely functional moron will point out, that to put the equipment necessary to create the circumstances required to create such a "warp bubble" in space, would cost a fortune. Indeed. Well deduced future moron! A free cookie and a ticket to watch the filming of a witless daytime television program are yours!

Right, now that the future dullard has gone to gorge his empty skull on the poison which first evicted his wits, I can point out that the future of mankind depends on our ability to investigate and travel amongst the stars. Much of the resource wars that are fought now, and those which have been fought historically, are based on lies, but there will come a time in the relatively near future (on a cosmological scale that is) where perhaps our resources WILL become so thin on the ground, that we consume ourselves in fire and anguish. With a whimper, caused by a bang perhaps. Chicken, egg.

For this, and a thousand other equally interesting reasons, the cost to the present, of building the future is relatively small, in comparison to the cost to our entire civilisation, our very species, of not forging ahead, and doing all in our power to support that effort.

I doubt there are any NASA types cluttering the boards right now, but just in case:

Build the bloody thing in space, and stop messing about on the edges of the issue. The future of the species depends upon it.

Not really an issue testing on Earth. These are extremely precise calculation-based experiments which can easily account for minor discrepancies on Earth. The cost of performing something in space would be so astronomical that it would never happen.

Remember, make sure you say goodbye to EVERYTHING you know in the present time. When you travel at speeds close to the speed of light YOU slow down but the world around you stays constant. 100 years can go by in the same time someone traveling close to the speed of light would only experience a few hours. If we were to build a time traveling craft, only future generations would know if we ever made it to our destination or not.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
First they want to verify it is possible on Earth before they try it in space.
edit on 15-5-2013 by Kashai because: added content

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohiwastedmylif

Not really an issue testing on Earth. These are extremely precise calculation-based experiments which can easily account for minor discrepancies on Earth. The cost of performing something in space would be so astronomical that it would never happen.

Remember, make sure you say goodbye to EVERYTHING you know in the present time. When you travel at speeds close to the speed of light YOU slow down but the world around you stays constant. 100 years can go by in the same time someone traveling close to the speed of light would only experience a few hours. If we were to build a time traveling craft, only future generations would know if we ever made it to our destination or not.

well think about it people in a warp buble bring there own space time with them there clocks would move the same as if they were on earth.For all intensive purposes they are standing still and spacetime moves around them.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
How about L.A. to Miami in 1000th of a second and if it can be done on earth.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
They will find it, space time bends are a particulate flow around magnetic flux lines of other particles and matte containing many varied particles atomically bonded that swap charges that actually create the magnetic flux lines that create the bend in space time. Anything that has matter bends space time, and creates it's own gravity well, overcoming the mass that creates the gravity well, is all that is required to move along with the particulate flow... turn that off and you'll be moving at the speed of light... the uncertainty is controlling where the mass now out of a gravity well will go... now caught in the particulate current flowing through the entire universe. We would most likely have to identify where a particulate flow is headed and hitch a ride in it's current to get there.

Either way at light speed it still would take an absurd amount of time for intergalactic travel, the closest star not our own... is still over 4 years away at the speed of light.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
Either way at light speed it still would take an absurd amount of time for intergalactic travel, the closest star not our own... is still over 4 years away at the speed of light.

This depends on which reference frame you are looking at. Because of time contraction most of the visible universe can be reached by a traveller at sub light speed within a human lifetime.

At relativistic speeds it isn't as simple as distance / speed = travel time for the traveller.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I think we will eventually be able to project gravity in front of a craft using energy. Since the spot the gravity is created will constantly be projected ahead of the craft as it moves it will allow the craft to be pulled along and even steer it. If so the speeds achieved would be close to the speed of the energy being projected ahead which would be the speed of light. Not sure if anything could actually reach those speeds though but we could certainly go lots faster than we can today.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

A light year is a light year no matter where your point of origin happens to start from. A light year equals the distance the speed of light travels in an earth year... 365ish revolutions around the sun it's based on an actual count not a concept. Now if you're talking about distorting that time sure it's easy to change and distort, just go live on the moon or on the space station or anywhere else in the universe... it's passing is just a concept relative to the observer and object meaning it is for all intensive purposes it's a variable not a constant, time on earth is a pseudo constant because it's passing on earth does not change by very much... even out to the edge of our solar system you're still in orbit meaning time can still be calculated as a variable it's just a very distant orbit.

Get outside of a Galaxy then you'll be drawn towards where ever and whatever has the largest mass, in a very wide and extremely slow orbit but still an orbit none the less still leaving a time that can be calculated.

Traveling backwards or forward in this conceptual variable referred to as time is hokum... but the further out of orbit one is the less effect the mass being orbited will have on one's rate of decay... meaning if you orbited out on the edges of our solar system for a few years, and then come back it will have seemed as if you time traveled from the same frame of reference you left, when actually all you've done is slowed down your rate of decay... not actually time traveled at all just changed it's frame of reference because it is just a variable.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Sounds more like putting on the brakes than being a propulsion system.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Originally posted by ohiwastedmylif

well think about it people in a warp buble bring there own space time with them there clocks would move the same as if they were on earth.For all intensive purposes they are standing still and spacetime moves around them.

For all "intensive" purposes, that's what the common thought on the matter is from sci-if writers to scientists. But we won't really know until they take these baby steps and actually do the science. Not as glamorous as ordering sulu to take us to warp factor 9, but still necessary.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Well let me arrange two in the making....

Hollodeck

Transporter

I hope it will be something of your expectation?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Resources will never deplete if our technological evolution expands I think, because it's a technological cycle that resources that are now worthless will someday be useful again in many ways...
edit on 16-5-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This thread has brightened my day. I thank you

One step at a time. Once we figure out that its possible then we'll work out where to get the energy from.

I can only imagine some future historian explaining to children that the Anti-matter powered warp drive that sends us to the stars was predicted by an entertainment programme from the 1960s.

edit on 16-5-2013 by justwokeup because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join