It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting (And the Answers)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
There's one thing more annoying than Bible-thumping Christians...

Atheists!
edit on 5/15/2013 by the_philth because: (no reason given)

The Holy Bible doesn't do any good if you thump it. You gotta read it. So that being said, i don't thump it. I search it for wisdom and strength and whenever i need peace, i read the Gospels. Something about reading what Jesus said keeps me grounded.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
This is nonsensical, and an excuse so you don't have to admit that atheists, are, indeed, putting as much faith in God not existing as God existing.

Nice setup. Lets see who is spouting nonsense then.

First, an interdimensional elve is not spiritual.

Blasphemy! They come from the mystical realm of Fae. The evergreen, the place of neverending life and creation where all things spring from. They are the very essence of the universe..and they sit on your chest at night.
Such little faith you have! Don't mock my religion of the elves!

And your example of christians believing in Odin versus atheists choosing not to believe in God PROVES my point. You say: "A Christian doesn't have faith that Odin doesn't exist... they simply see no supporting evidence." Now this sentence doesn't credit or discredit Odin's existence, it merely references what a Christian believes to be true. Rather, a Christian's faith lies in Jesus, as opposed to Odin.

I think your now caught in some sort of loop.
but to use your words then, a atheist's faith doesn't exist in regards to deities. That's it. There is no opposing mindset all atheists decide to subscribe to. Science is not a substitute, as plenty of atheists may choose to have a belief in many other things..from a looped universe, to the universe is a holographic virtual reality and our real bodies are laying in a VR chamber, etc etc etc (you will find the common thread on the thinking atheist though is a simple reliance on science for uncovering our latest understandings of the universe.

Then you go on to say: "same with a [sic] atheist..an atheist is simply complete in their standards for supporting evidence." So, what you've essentially stated is that atheists and theists (which isn't limited to the belief in one God but God or Gods generally) have used the same logic to come to their conclusion. Although the standards for coming to their conclusion through that logic may differ, they still use the same process of thought. The only difference is that you want to label one faith and the other one something else.

Here is a better example..a nice visual representation.
a theist and a atheist are standing at the edge of a wheat field. ahead of them are 12 scarecrows. Each one is slightly different (different colored shirts mostly). The theist notes 11 of the scarecrows are not alive, but one is alive..has a soul.
The atheist agrees the 11 do not show signs of life (being made of sticks and hay and whatnot), and looks at the one the theist says is alive then. noting that outside of a different colored shirt, it is the same as the others. The theist says its alive because he has faith that it is.
The atheist points out its the same as the rest..why say its alive if the only difference in evidence is simply a different colored shirt

In this example, for the first 11. There was no faith..it was simply observing no life in the scarecrows. Same as observing no life in a rock. Faith then played in on the 12th one only on the theists part whom removed his consistency in thinking to suggest that one was alive simply due to the color of the shirt being more pleasing to him.

You can say I only believe in the measurable,

In regards to official belief of deities, I only -accept- measurable things. Do you believe your job pays you, or do you make sure they pay you by checking your bank at the end of the workweek? (or however the pay comes)

however, there are billions upon billions of people who believe in the spiritual. In other words, we can measure that a large portion of people believe in something else, something spiritual. Yet, you have decided to put your foot down and say that does not exist.

It might exist..who knows...I am not saying that..nor is any other atheist. I am saying show me some proof of the claim. I would find such a place amazing to contemplate and investigate. But until some proof comes forward, then if all that requires is belief, I think I can think of much cooler deities to make up and follow. The god of coolness and beer for example..now there is a church I would like to check out (unless it turns hipster).

the spiritual exists.

Wait...spiritual...no, people don't speak of meeting and chatting with god. they discuss weird stuff and attribute everything they don't understand to a deity quite often though (much like rain from our primitive ancestors). I never said anything about a greater spiritual aspect of the universe. (again, I don't know, but I have hypothesis's). A atheist doesn't officially weigh in on matters of ghosts, elves, etc (except for example purposes to describe no belief verses belief in none).
I am an atheist from no belief in deitys.
I also believe (alert: a belief I have) in ghosts.
Not that I know what a ghost is...just describes my experience. Fits for now.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leahn

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The survival of our species requires we not murder each other, also that we stop others from murdering without cause. Pretty simple instinctual stuff. If you approach a bee's nest or a lions den, you aren't getting attacked due to their religion..you are a threat to their existence. No morality in play there..just natural law

This is absolutely not correct. There is a 1.8 death every second and a 4.17 birth every second. The survival of our species relies solely on more being born than dying. We could double our death rate and still do just fine.

Depends on your view.

I don't think we will be able to colonize space very effectively with those numbers.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The survival of our species requires we not murder each other, also that we stop others from murdering without cause. Pretty simple instinctual stuff. If you approach a bee's nest or a lions den, you aren't getting attacked due to their religion..you are a threat to their existence. No morality in play there..just natural law

This is absolutely not correct. There is a 1.8 death every second and a 4.17 birth every second. The survival of our species relies solely on more being born than dying. We could double our death rate and still do just fine.

Depends on your view.

I don't think we will be able to colonize space very effectively with those numbers.

The criteria was survival of the specie. Murdering each other can be rightfully compensated by making more of us in greater numbers than those that are dying. Hence, it cannot be immoral, if the survival of the specie is the criteria.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

I don't believe in deities, therefore do not subscribe any kind of qualities to them.

The ones you've listed however are the most common and the most prevalent thoughts throughout most monotheistic religions.

I think my point still stands, religion is an exercise in believing that humans are hopelessly lost and require divine guidance in order to lead happy, fulfilling and successful lives.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I think my point still stands, religion is an exercise in believing that humans are hopelessly lost and require divine guidance in order to lead happy, fulfilling and successful lives.

~Tenth

Considering that most people do feel hopelessly lost and lead sad, unfulfilling lives, and religion is statistically equated with greater happiness and a greater sense of fulfilment, you might be more right than you believe yourself.

Even if God did not exist, a spiritual life *is* statistically equated with greater happiness.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd
If you're a religious believer

Most organized religion types versus non-organized faith types have displayed deceitfulness in supposed support of Jesus. Abusiveness.

They will even oppose Biblical scriptures like "the hireling careth not for the sheep" and teach unsupported doctrines like "once saved, always saved". While getting hostile with people with little or no exposure to religion who have questions.

They support doctrines like the Athenasian Creed, the Nicene Creed. And the got hostile with people who don't preach for money for simply asking questions.

Their disrespectful.

They will support statutory rape of 14 years old like Helen Mar Kimball by prophets whose prophecies did not come to pass as Richard Abanes documents various failures by the Book of Mormon author. Half dozen or dozen failed prophecies. Without stepping down and renouncing his office of prophet. Smith had no fear of God or his failures in prophecy.

The Bible forbids additional scriptures and yet 10 million people in Utah support additional scriptures and support statutory rape. I've actually heard Mormon missionaries say that it is important to throw 'logic" out and not consider it when dealing with spiritual issues and failures in doctrine.

My experience has been this when dealing with organized religion versus lay people of faith who rarely mention their beliefs and will have a drink at a bar with you, is to go to the bar, and avoid people who wear Christ on their sleeves. They more often than not would be more suited to wearing Nazi SS symbols.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The motivation is not to do so for our own sake however, but to do so for God's sake. That's where the problem lies. It also assumes that anything and everything is pre-planned, which makes freedom of choice an illusion and is an easy scapegoat to fall back on when we act like sub humans.

Actually, when one recognizes the true meaning of DOMINION, then everything does become pre-planned. I fail to see how planning eliminates choices.

Religion doesn't allow for expansion and growth beyond the divine. It assumes that above all else, the fear of a bad afterlife, will deter violence and create peace. Or a similar fear of disappointing one's creator etc.

What is beyond the concept of the divine? Any pursuit in the field of spirituality should have divinity as its goal. I do not think the message of fear is espoused in any form. Paul was very specific when he stated we should not have a spirit of fear. We are also taught to not be fearful when encountering storms or rough seas.

Atheism or Agnosticism on the other hands assumes that human beings are responsible for their own futures, their own actions and their own success or failures. There's nobody in the sky judging you and telling you how to life your life.

I am unaware of any religion that teaches individuals are not responsible for their own actions. There is always some outside entity sitting in judgment, not in the sky.

There's simply right and wrong and you live the life that you choose to lead, not the one that some arbitrary 3000 year old text tells you to lead.

The concept of right and wrong is subjective. You do live the life you choose to lead. There is nothing arbitrary about any text. It says what it says, just the way your writing says what it says. You just happen to be here to defend it and make clarifications as you see fit.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

IMO,
The moral framework of a society, is the bond between a people and their government, or leaders.
I do believe the moral fiber of a country, would decay completely, after just two generations. And
as a result, the framework and foundation of even the strongest nation, would begin to crack and
falter, because of this degeneration. I believe this is what is happening in America as we speak.
The more atheism we see in America, the more carnage and decline.

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.

But february made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."

Did you write the book of love,
And do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock 'n roll,
Can music save your mortal soul,
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you're in love with him
`cause I saw you dancin' in the gym.
You both kicked off your shoes.
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.

I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck,
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died.

started singin',
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin', "this'll be the day that I die.

Now for ten years we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin' stone,
But that's not how it used to be.
When the jester sang for the king and queen,
In a coat he borrowed from james dean
And a voice that came from you and me,

Oh, and while the king was looking down,
The jester stole his thorny crown.
The courtroom was adjourned;
No verdict was returned.
And while lennon read a book of marx,
The quartet practiced in the park,
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died.

We were singing,
But the levee was dry.

Helter skelter in a summer swelter.
The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
Eight miles high and falling fast.
It landed foul on the grass.
The players tried for a forward pass,
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.

Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune.
We all got up to dance,
Oh, but we never got the chance!
`cause the players tried to take the field;
The marching band refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?

We started singing,
But the levee was dry.

Oh, and there we were all in one place,
A generation lost in space
With no time left to start again.
So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
Jack flash sat on a candlestick
Cause fire is the devil's only friend.

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan's spell.
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite,
I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died

He was singing,
But the levee was dry.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news,
But she just smiled and turned away.
I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before,
But the man there said the music wouldn't play.

And in the streets: the children screamed,
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.
But not a word was spoken;
The church bells all were broken.
And the three men I admire most:
The father, son, and the holy ghost,
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died.

And they were singing,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die.

They were singing,
But the levee was dry.
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die."
edit on 16-5-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by therationalist

tell me why murder is wrong and don't tell me you just believe it to be wrong... if someone believes murder is right, how would you prove to him that he is wrong through logic without appealing to emotions??

Murder is wrong because if we engaged in murder there would soon be nobody left to murder.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
There can be no such thing as atheism. It is impossible to deny that God could exist somewhere. Hence, atheists have, over the years (as scientists have done with their definition of the word evolution), moved the goalposts incrementally in an effort to feel more comfortable. However, the root of the word absolutely stands as written. A - without...THEISM - belief in a deity...

An impossible state of being, since acknowledgment of the possibility is a must.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
There can be no such thing as atheism. It is impossible to deny that God could exist somewhere. Hence, atheists have, over the years (as scientists have done with their definition of the word evolution), moved the goalposts incrementally in an effort to feel more comfortable. However, the root of the word absolutely stands as written. A - without...THEISM - belief in a deity...

An impossible state of being, since acknowledgment of the possibility is a must.

Huh?????

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879

Huh?????

I think what totallackey is trying to say is: "How can you not believe that GOD lives in that volcano when you can see it erupting with your own eyes!"

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The criteria was survival of the specie. Murdering each other can be rightfully compensated by making more of us in greater numbers than those that are dying. Hence, it cannot be immoral, if the survival of the specie is the criteria.

Yes, survival of the species.
If murder was accepted, then breeding would quickly die out. This is where principles kick in.

If it is acceptable for me to murder you, then it is acceptable for you to murder me. I don't want to be murdered, so I won't murder and request such a rule be applied to me and enforced. Do onto others what you would have done unto yourself is a pretty basic summation of this theory overall.

Now, as a greater society, if murdering is acceptable and morally neutral, and people don't want to be murdered as part of their genetic code, they will murder those whom they believe are considering murdering them. paranoia will run rampant, murder will become uncontrolled, people will not socialize, breed, and the population will fall, extinction.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Flying elephants.
I don't believe in flying elephants because of many reasons, but mostly because I have never seen one, nor has any proof come forward of flying elephants.

If I seen a flying elephant, I would believe in them. If there was undeniable proof of the flying elephant of Madagascar or something, I would believe in them.
Belief is the wrong word though. I would rather acknowledge them as real verses simply believe.

But simply taking the word from a 7 year old that flying elephants are real, and one is named snuffaluffagus is a bit nonsense..even if a ton of kids say its real because they seen it on a program (seseme street for this example).

Same thing applies to a deity that nobody has seen but only read about in a book about the deity.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Belief is the wrong word though. I would rather acknowledge them as real verses simply believe.

When it comes to the terms of discussion, then A must equal A. The word ATHEISM means what it means, despite your example so beautifully providing an excellent example of the goalpost shifting...

The bottom line is this...

You have not been everywhere, you have not seen everything, and you do not know everything...

Simply put, the POSSIBILITY of a Supreme Being being someplace where you have not been, someplace you have not seen, and someplace you do not know about, EXISTS.

That is all.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

I am unaware of any religion that teaches individuals are not responsible for their own actions. There is always some outside entity sitting in judgment, not in the sky.

But the redemption aspect makes NO sense when all you need to do, in order to be forgiven and get into heaven, is to acknowledge your sins and believe in god.

There's a cop out for sinners.

The concept of right and wrong is subjective. You do live the life you choose to lead. There is nothing arbitrary about any text. It says what it says, just the way your writing says what it says. You just happen to be here to defend it and make clarifications as you see fit.

Yes, the religious texts are arbitrary and confusing. Any texts that you can find contracting statements creates that situation.

At no point in my life did the Bible teach me the concepts of right and wrong. It taught me the concept of control and oppressiveness. Although I agree that some of the text's contents are fun stories that have a good moral value or lesson to learn, religion is certainly not a requirement to being a healthy, balanced human being.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

When it comes to the terms of discussion, then A must equal A. The word ATHEISM means what it means, despite your example so beautifully providing an excellent example of the goalpost shifting...

The bottom line is this...

You have not been everywhere, you have not seen everything, and you do not know everything...

Simply put, the POSSIBILITY of a Supreme Being being someplace where you have not been, someplace you have not seen, and someplace you do not know about, EXISTS.

That is all.

a-theists
without belief in deitys
that is what atheism is. I am an atheist, I am without belief in deitys.

Doesn't mean I have faith and knowledge that they don't exist...sure...they could...and flying elephants, magical elves, 12 headed humans hiding in a giant cave deep in the earths crusts, genies, etc...tons of stuff could possibly exist.
I doubt it, but never know

But until such a time as it is known, then it isn't, and if its not known, then there is no reason to believe

So I don't believe

I am without belief..in deities...that is not a statement of deities potential existence, just of my acknowledgement of no proof to support it at this point.

Not goalpost shifting..however, what you identify as goalpost shifting may in fact simply be you becoming a bit more aware of what atheism is verses earlier presumptions.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
Our little universe came along much later. What "jump started" reality exists within our little universe, just like it exists within all universes and if there are more than 4 dimensions (beyond the confines of human imagination) then it exists as fundamental to each of them as well.

Ok, I will bite. Prove.
edit on 16/5/2013 by Leahn because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by NorEaster
I'm in no hurry here.

I invite you to post search me and get up to speed on what I've already revealed here. It's your choice, of course.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

But the redemption aspect makes NO sense when all you need to do, in order to be forgiven and get into heaven, is to acknowledge your sins and believe in god. There's a cop out for sinners.

If redemption makes no sense, then we would all have life sentences or even the death penalty for all crimes.

Yes, the religious texts are arbitrary and confusing. Any texts that you can find contracting statements creates that situation.

You make this statement as if it applies, carte blanche, to everyone. It does not.

At no point in my life did the Bible teach me the concepts of right and wrong. It taught me the concept of control and oppressiveness.

Seek and ye shall find.

Although I agree that some of the text's contents are fun stories that have a good moral value or lesson to learn, religion is certainly not a requirement to being a healthy, balanced human being. ~Tenth

Subjective use of adjectives, on which you will appeal to an outside authority for definition.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join