It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baton Rouge winks at racially motivated hate crime

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
From Baton Rouge's WAFB TV's website:

Police: Family attacked for being in "wrong neighborhood"

I live outside of Baton Rouge. I grew up very near where this happened. I drive past the fuel station to go to my son's house.

Three black people beat up three white people for "being in the wrong neighborhood." One victim - the white man's wife - was knocked unconscious.

Two of the perpetrators - including the one who knocked out the white woman - were ticketed.

I'm not trying to race-bait, but I feel quite sure that had races in the incident been reversed, there'd be riots.

Should the white community stage a riot? Is it time for that? (Rhetorical question.)
edit on 15-5-2013 by incoserv because: add source

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

What the family did was actually pretty stupid. It’s a known high crime area according to the article. Why in the world would you stop for gas at 10pm in a high crime area with your wife and young daughter??

I’m not justifying the beating but…come on! That wasn’t a smart move!

+11 more 
posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

What the family did was actually pretty stupid … come on! That wasn’t a smart move!

m

You're right. The stupid crackers deserved to have the crap beat out of them. Maybe the perpetrators should be given a medal.

You miss the whole point, buddy.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

There's a very long history of white attacks on blacks simply being dismissed.

Not sure what your point here is.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You're right. The stupid crackers deserved to have the crap beat out of them. Maybe the perpetrators should be given a medal.

You miss the whole point, buddy.

OK, buddy.

They didn’t deserve it. I just think there are certain things you should be smart enough to avoid. Having said that, yes, there is a double standard. As far as being a hate crime, I didn’t read anything about the victims being called racial slurs. Did I miss that? I just read they were told they were in the wrong neighborhood…hardly enough IMO.

This, to me, is a hate crime:

James Byrd, Jr. (May 2, 1949 – June 7, 1998) was an African-American who was murdered by three men, of whom at least two were white supremacists, in Jasper, Texas, on June 7, 1998. Shawn Berry, Lawrence Russell Brewer, and John King dragged Byrd behind a pick-up truck along an asphalt road. Byrd, who remained conscious throughout most of the ordeal, was killed when his body hit the edge of a culvert, severing his right arm and head. The murderers drove on for another mile before dumping his torso in front of an African-American cemetery in Jasper.[1] Byrd's lynching-by-dragging gave impetus to passage of a Texas hate crimes law.
Byrd

edit on 15-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Riot? Nope.

This is just one of the expanding no-go areas for the LEO's. They are all over the world as well. Many urban areas basically have a line that says; "Here there be Dragons". The crime is out of control and the thugs rule the streeets and the local populace are to frightened to do anything.

It's only a matter of time before the states governors call in the National Guard. Then the Feds will get involved and it will escalate and spread. And more than likely not for the good.

I read a story a bit back that said that some police departments are using patrolling & public engagement lessons learned from Iraq to some success. (Sorry, I can't find it)

I even started a novella in the short stories forum on this scenario. Though I'm still stuck on CHP 4.

edit on 15-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a edit to add

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is typical of what happens in America. (And actually world wide.) Reverse hate like this gets swept under the rug and ignored. However, if it was reversed there would be absolute RIOTING in the media. People will cry foul, Al Sharpton and the other idiots would be on TV demanding that the "inequality and racism" be addressed and claim we're all evil bastards.

Then numerous threads on ATS would pop up denouncing racism. But when some black people beat up (and even butcher) whites just because they're white, nothing happens. Crickets chirp. And those who mention it will be looked at cross eyed.

Racism goes both ways, blacks are just as capable as whites. And truth be told, there's more black on white crime then vice versa.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Should the white community stage a riot? Is it time for that?

No, for all of the same reasons that the black community should not riot when a white person does something wicked to a black person. It would also be a splendid idea if we no longer attached ourselves to color-coded separatist "communities".

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Slugworth

Many people forget the history of racism by whites on the black community.

They are trying to play victims now as if they are innocent of any wrong doing yet both sides are guilty of this even to this day.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Uhh. maybe his point is that the blacks were "ticketed" for an obvious hate crime, instead of being arrested and charged with assault.

Im betting the responding cops were black as well.
edit on 15-5-2013 by Berzerked because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

reply to post by Slugworth

Many people forget the history of racism by whites on the black community.

They are trying to play victims now as if they are innocent of any wrong doing yet both sides are guilty of this even to this day.

So you think whites are guilty of wrong doing based on what happened 100+ years ago before any of us were born?

I've never owned a slave or committed a hate crime against blacks. Do I deserve a beating, too?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I avoid East Cleveland like the plague once the sun goes down. Heck, the cops there will pull you over for driving while white.
They think that you are probably there to buy illegal things. (Profiling anyone?)

But even during the ddaytime I still get some pretty evil looks. Hell, I don't even know most of the people and get treated like crap for the most part by total strangers.

It has to be something pretty important to get me to go to that part of town anymore, and I will not go there unless I am armed. It's gotten that bad.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Fair warning...

Please bear in mind that ATS will not tolerate any type of bigotry -- subtle or otherwise.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

Discussion of the crime in a civil manner -- fine.

Suggestions of race riots in retaliation of said crime -- not a good idea.

Racist or bigoted sentiments -- not a good idea.

Use of racial slurs in any way -- definitely not a good idea.

Consider this fair warning.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Berzerked

Uhh. maybe his point is that the blacks were "ticketed" for an obvious hate crime, instead of being arrested and charged with assault.

Kind of like the cops that beat Rodney King and wallked away?

Yep, pretty sad when it happens no matter who does it.

link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That's exactly what I was talking about. A reasonable person should be wise enough to avoid trouble. Stopping at a gas station in a high crime neighborhood with your wife and young daughter isn't exactly a smart move.

It's sad that it is this way in some areas but that's reality. Every country has "areas" that should be avoided if you have any damn sense.

link   
reply to post by seabag

I just read they were told they were in the wrong neighborhood…hardly enough IMO.

I usually agree with you but I can't here. If 3 blacks were attacked in an all white neighborhood even if no racial slurs were used, the press would still label it a hate crime. Rightly or wrongly. And while I agree they were careless, it would be the same as blaming a woman dressed in a revealing dress for being raped. The only ones to blame are the racist criminals who attacked 3 people because they were different.

Would the criminals have attacked a black family?
edit on 15-5-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Berzerked

Kind of like the cops that beat Rodney King and wallked away?

Yep, pretty sad when it happens no matter who does it.

Oh.. so something that happened over a decade ago, that these people had nothing to do with, justifies them getting beat by some random black people because they were in the wrong part of town.
Idiot

And btw, the cops didnt walk away, they were tried a second time in federal court and found guilty of civil rights violations.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I usually agree with you but I can't here. If 3 blacks were attacked in an all white neighborhood even if no racial slurs were used, the press would still label it a hate crime.

Well, we can't always agree!

You're probably right about the outcome if roles were reversed.

And while I agree they were careless, it would be the same as blaming a woman dressed in a revealing dress for being raped. The only ones to blame are the racist criminals who attacked 3 people because they were different.

Dressing a certain way is different than walking through a ghetto at 10pm. There is a reasonable expectation that you will be the victim of crime if you go to a HIGH CRIME AREA at 10pm! There is no expectation of rape based on your attire.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Berzerked

Of course it doesn't justify it. These 3 men should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for what they did.

My only issue is with those that believe this doesn't happen on both sides. I'm sure I could spend 5 minutes researching more recent cases of whites or blacks or asians getting off for some sort of hate crime but why bother.

It happens to all sides and whites get away with just as much, if not more, than blacks do. The prison populations attest to this fact.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Berzerked

Of course it doesn't justify it. These 3 men should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for what they did.

My only issue is with those that believe this doesn't happen on both sides. I'm sure I could spend 5 minutes researching more recent cases of whites or blacks or asians getting off for some sort of hate crime but why bother.

It happens to all sides and whites get away with just as much, if not more, than blacks do. The prison populations attest to this fact.

I think that the justice system and economics has the most to do with what you point out. The poorer you are, couple with breaking the law, the more likely you will end up behind bars.

Many public defenders just don't care and are checking the box until they can hired by a private practice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join