It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My sister actually thinks humans aren't mammals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

Originally posted by benrl
Simple easy to understand example of evolution.

The human underbite, skeletons from previous eras when humans didn't use utensils (as recent as few hundred years for the west) Didn't have a natural underbite, their front teeth lined up perfectly.

The advent of the utensil cause the change to having an underbite.

AS an added bonus this change occurred much earlier than that in the east long before the west, because of the east coming up with eating utensils far earlier, human skeletal remains back this up.

Evolution, adaption over time at work.

But some how I doubt your sister would understand even the above.

"My school didn't teach me that, so it's not true.
" Which is exactly what she does. She also tries to prove her point by rolling her eyes and completely discarding everything I said.

Simple, bid her good day and leave her in her bliss, stop shaking up her ignorance it might hurt her head.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Perhaps I should do just that. Showing facts to people who desire ignorance is futile.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Tell her that she just has to get a job in any fundamentalist church - she will fit right in..

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

There is no other mammal that has a consciousness. Too many women have a pelvis too small to bare children.
The negative rhesusfactor is a mystery, no other mammal has it ... really I think she 's not so far beneath the truth ...
There once was a time some humans were no mammals .... more than 12.000 years ago. We are the so called gods ... only degenerated by the rules of life on planet earth.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zandra

You're being sarcastic, right? Sorry if you are serious, for some reason it sounds like you're joking.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Perhaps I should do just that. Showing facts to people who desire ignorance is futile.

Im assuming she is "religious" if so you could try explaining to her that the first books of the bible where told to Moses by God. They are a parable told to him so he could understand, much like the parables used by Jesus to explain complex matters to his followers.

So everything before the exodus is hyperbole to explain complex matters, it would make no sense for God to try and explain biology, physics, quantum Physics to Moses.

Fanatics who can't even get the details of their own holy book and religion strait are a detriment to all theist everywhere.

Theist who fear science are intellectually dishonest with themselves to what they believe, if their beliefs are real, than science should not frighten them.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In one aspect she is correct that we are not mere animals due to being self-aware and for the most part having a moral compass which animals lack. If we are mere animals then there is no need to have laws governing what we do to each other as an animal does not require them. However if we are not mere animals then governance comes into play and moral issues abound.

Mankind is a mammal of its own species along the lines of primates not monkeys. Even if she went to a religious school for her education that much is taught along with the theory of evolution. Whether one chooses creationism or evolution we are still mammals and along the lines of primates at the end of the day.

Maybe the OP's sister missed that class.
edit on 5/15/2013 by pstrron because: add text

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I have two questions:

What school is she going to that says humans aren't part of the animal kingdom?

Why are you showing her the internet to try and prove this to her? Even my botany textbook places homo sapiens squarely in the kingdom animalia. It shouldn't be that difficult to find her some kind of biology textbook that explains the diversity of life.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

have you taken into consideration
the possibility that your sister is winding you up/ jerking your chain/ tweaking your tinfoil hat?
y'know? like for the lulz ?

i used to get into similar arguments with girls all the time, regarding whether eggs are meat or not

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

not ignorance on her part....i have 2 younger sises.... dont you already know they are put on this earth only to annoy the living sh*t outta ya??? Im Sure you could argure about what color grass is!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Originally posted by abeverage

Can you have her explain to me why men have nipples then? That one really boggles me... That and why God made monkeys with hands, fingers, toes, ears and faces similar to ours, oh and then buried all them dinosaur bones to trick us!

edit on 14-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Men are actually evolving breasts, lol.

We are? We are evolving ! From Breasts. oO

We've slowly been evolving since the breast first climbed out of the bra and poked upright with two nipples.

Now I know why people call me a tit all the time !

Oo

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I feel for you. I have debated with people who did not understand evolution and they all expressed in different ways why they didn't accept evolution and/or understand. What we need to do is teach others basically everything about evolution and why it matters to them. Just my two cents from this ugly hairy mammal.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

"My school didn't teach me that, so it's not true.
" Which is exactly what she says. She also tries to prove her point by rolling her eyes and completely discarding everything I said.

edit on 15-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

How old is she again? She's very young. it can take a long time to see things differently...

All she hears now are words that don't key into her thoughts and thinks she's already been told it all, and she was told how the non-believers would try to tempt her.. lol so she laughs at it and puhleases her self..

Oo

wait till she's 40.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

So she's ignorant because she's not accepting the mainstream science? Like mainstream science is some kind of gospel?
Countless times before science was wrong, and like someone have said, when we know answers to most of the questions that there is good chance something is not right.
If she is questioning things, it proves she is smart, she doesn't need you to tell her what is right or wrong!
I'm sure she'll eventually come to answers.
It's lame of you to mention in what ages she is, remember, we're learning through our whole life.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

What is "mainstream science?" It's good to question everything. However, the OP's sister sounds ignorant because she not willing to understand any of the evidence to support evolution. This is what I get from the posts.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
you can't argue with stupid

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
"My sister actually thinks humans aren't mammals"

I think you sister should have stayed in school a little longer!

My wee Granny told me a long, long time ago a very pertinent piece of advice. She said son, you can't teach pork!

Essentially her meaning is some people are stupid by desire rather than design.

edit on 15-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

It's good she laughed at you. You're suggesting something came from nothing and then evolved into human beings? I'd laugh too.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

You do not understand what evolution is and you're mixing abiogenesis with evolution. Abiogenesis is the study of the origin of life; evolution is the study of how life evolves.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I think some religious person got to her! Quick spray distilled or deionized water on her!

Anyway, Evolution was not taught in high school as a chapter or subject, as how we discuss on ATS or other internet forums. However, if the questions do come up about human evolution, it is usually backed up with Evolutionary Biology.

This topic falls under ecosystem, prey, predators, habitat, food chain and environmental stressors. To my knowledge, there has never been a "Evolution" chapter. It is kinda of a side topic.

my source was 10 yrs ago. Maybe it has become a main topic, my niece should be going to high school soon, ill find out from her.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join