It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You still want gun carrying teachers in your schools?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Finally my point can be made with real life events...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

There is nothing that can be done about past tragedies; the past is immutable.

There will also be future tragedies. If not with guns, then with cars, bombs, knives, sticks or rocks.

The point here is not to remove the possibility of another tragedy occurring; it is instead to lessen the chance of one occurring and mitigate the amount of damage these incidents can inflict. A world without tragedy exists only in fairy tales. We live in reality and thus must accept the fact that tomorrow may bring tragedy or it may bring triumph. When it brings tragedy, we try to lose as little life as possible.

Just like in poker, the goal is not to win all the hands. It is to lose as little as possible when you lose the hand and gain as much as possible when you win.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

wow.

This is my high school! Graduated RHS class of 2000.

I live 2 blocks from this parking lot.

It seems like an actual accident, we always had an armed security staff member since Columbine occured, so he was supposed to be armed, but gross neglect on the part of the security staff member in this case.

I don't think it is a "political" issue so much as it is an example of neglect by those who can harm other by it.

Individual blame here, not policy IMO. Still crazy that this happened to my High School.

God Bless,

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Originally posted by Romeo1
Ahhh..YES...that is the only thing that would have stopped the Sandy Hook crap..I have no issues with trained people in the schools with weapons...if nothing else they just might be a deterrent to others that just might want a easier target.

Did you read the article? This WAS an alleged trained individual with a weapon, (thankfully NOT in the school), but ON school property none the less, and he shot his own cousin in his car. Would you want a guy like this in your childs school?

It is state required due to Columbine, there is a "guy like this" in all childrens schools here. There must be an armed trained security staff member in all Aurora Public High Schools.

The kids in CO do not have the choice here.

remember accident occur in the military, police force etc. every day, does one mans mistake constitute the dismantling of the policy? If that were the case you could say "see this accident occured in the US military, we should not allow them to carry weapons anymore."

This incident is what it is, an accident; no need to make it something it is not (proof of the validity of anti-gun citizens claims toward no guns in schools). No need to politicize a one time accident by a trained professionsal who showed gross neglect.

God Bless,
edit on 16-5-2013 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by olaru12

It's the institution of public education coupled with the self-interested corruption of the unions they dont like.

Not the individual teacher doing their job.

Yeah right....

I wouldn't have trusted most of my teachers with a sharp stick much less a pistol. Most of em came to work drunk, hung over, baked or otherwise impaired on prescription drugs. Usually tranquilizers. I don't blame them though, most of the kids were violent retards as well and could strip a teacher of his/her pistol and use it on them or other students anytime they felt like it.

I know...broad generalizations but that's what I remember.

If teachers are carrying guns; make them take a pee test every month and a competency evaluation at least once a year. That should go for all gun owners, myself included!

I see a lot oF ATS gun obsessed members that have a hard time even navigating a computer keyboard. They should be given competency test regularly as well. Just like a drivers liscense!!
edit on 16-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

This was NOT a teacher. He was a security staff member trained and cleared to carry this sidearm on school property.

He just failed to execute the proper degree of caution for someone with such clearance. Thank God the injury was minor.

God Bless,

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by MrWendal

Fact: Accidents do happen.

This was no accident. It was a willful violation of Colorado law (having the handgun loaded while in the car), and a negligent violation of general safety rules of handling a firearm. Such idiots give legitimate gun owners a bad name, and then leads to knee-jerk legislation that simply has no effect on actual crime, but merely hampers the industry.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Great posts Gaz.

I should not call this an accident.

But I also will not make this more then it is; the event could have been in a home's driveway and be the exact same crime.

God Bless,

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I agree, I am class of 2004 and hunting rifles were common on school property. Then again though, you didnt have 17 year olds on tons of crap medication who dont really understand the side effects. I think the main problem is with the parents, this is where it starts. If kids are no longer safe in public schools then it is the parents responsibility to pull their kids out and homeschool them. Even if they have to take a paycut or get rid of the escalade or cut cable television. Whats more important? Unfortunately, people suffer from material addiction and they dont feel like they are keeping up with the Jones' if they perform such an act. Parents are scared that they will be scrutinized by their local peers. I will be homeschooling my child because government indoctrination (just like hitlers youth) is not tolerated in my eyes. Thanks.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 1337s0lja

More power to you! When my kids (only a couple of years younger than you) hit their teens and started getting out of line I left my job to be a stay at home mom for a few years. It took some adjusting to get used to one income (getting rid of cable, cutting down to one vehicle for the family, etc.) but sometimes you gotta do what's right for your kids- keeping up with the Jones' be damned! Thumbs up to you!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

How about the fact that the gun went off and struck his cousin? Let me reiterate the 3 fundamental rules of gun handling, taught to me repeatedly until I could rattle them off in my sleep, all three of which were broken (which breaking all 3 is the only way to discharge a weapon):

1) Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If the security guard would've done this, then worst case scenario, there would've been a hole in his car.

2) Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. If this would've been done, worst case scenario is that someone would've been strafed.

3) Keep the gun unloaded until ready to shoot. This is more questionable based on the occupation, but since he was not on duty and on a school zone, he shouldn't of had a loaded weapon in his vehicle anyways.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yes without any question we should have armed guards. We also need strategically placed arms which would only be accessible by code or key to trained staff. Safe rooms would also be just fine in my book ( atlassaferooms.com... ).

I absolutely do not want my children to be in a defenseless possition for even one more day! Please make your home a gun free zone and post a sign outside stating so. But please you FN idiot leave my babies out of it!
edit on 17-5-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join