It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A not so promissing trend.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Once again folks, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my little ole thread.

You know, I watch the news for about ten minutes a day on T.V than skim through the A.T.S forums, and look at news sites all the time.

A new Trend that I've just noticed, I'm not trying to promote, Black Flags, Government conspiracy's or any thing else.

Well, To get the point of my thread, Acts, Accidents, and mass murders are shooting, (no pun intended) through the roof. I remember a time, when I was younger that you could go months or years, with out hearing of some thing horrid happening.

No just in the last year alone, I've seen the time between attacks are getting shorter and shorter. The attacks them self's are increasing in both size and amount of people involved. Is this due to these people perpetrating these attacks are becoming infamous. Thus spurring others on to reach fame?

If currant trends hold, than the attacks/ accidents are just going to grow larger. The time between them will become shorter.

What is the community's thoughts about this? At what time, do we give up freedom in favor of security? Or do you think like I do, that In order to have the freedom our forefathers fought so hard for, we have to leave our country open to attacks such as this and carry on?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I watched a trailer for a movie called "The Purge" comes out next month.

Basically what happens is, every year there is a 12 hour window in which every crime is legal. It in the movie crime is at an all time low, and unemployment is at 1%. At first I thought it was a cheesy movie with a crazy plot but after thinking about for a while it really made sense. I know that I would never piss anyone off, knowing that there is one night per year where they can come hunt me down. I doubt you would piss anyone off either.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

Honestly ..........my thoughts.......a few....

1. tragedy sells......

2. we now live in a time where people are narccicist....

3. narccicist love attention.......

4. we live in an era of instant gratification........

5. narcissistic people love instant gratification and attention....

6.People are being extremely over medicated....

6. Connect all 6.......rinse repeat = news fame +gratification+ psychosis+meds
edit on 14-5-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Good thoughts, I also have been looking at that movie, and It does make a lot of sense. I would venture to guess that, as long as people advance, we will continue to find new and interesting ways to kill one another and the media will find new ways to glorify these people.

I had not thought about that, Narcissism + Gratification deal, also makes sense. Keep up the good posts guys.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I think that if one were to do an accurate study of such things they would probably find that violent crime is down. While it is true that mass killings are seemingly becoming more commonplace in the US - it is also true that the media, now, focuses upon things in such a parasitic and irresponsible way that they tend to try to represent events that have always been a part of our social fabric as falling into this category.

Almost every day it seems some shooting in a public place will hit the wires with a headline that suggests it's another worker bee gone on a spree... when most often it is not.

What ends does this serve? I'm not sure that there is one party seeking any ends. The MSM is out to get ratings and that's all that matters to them. The news aspects of most media companies used to be a break even or even lose money "necessary evil"... a sort of public service that most networks wished they could have cut. Now? Now news sells and they're breaking their brains trying to cash in on the avalanche of money. This means they don't care what's right or wrong... only what generates the most revenue.

Politicians, I imagine secretly love it because they can come along and conveniently associate themselves and their pet causes to tragedy. They know that we are a knee-jerk society... so they try to get their football in the way of our knee-jerking as fast as they possibly can.

Bloggers are eating it up... as every new shooting is a chance for some crazy theory and Internet infamy.

But is any of it really new? I don't think so. I imagine that our most distant ancestors probably had events where one individual snapped and went on a midnight killing spree. The only difference between then and now is that the cavemen living three valleys over didn't hear about it ten seconds after it happened, from some reporter with visions of a promotion or a Pulitzer dancing in his/her head.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
That just begs the question what happened to real journalism? When did the news become all about making money and pushing money and fashion trends? When did producers trow away journalistic integrity in favor and bland news reporting.

I have only read about news reporting in books, back when stories were screened, facts checked, and sources had to be legitimate. I wish we still had that kind of reporter/ newsmen.

Today's news seems to be about making it short, sweet and to the point. Problem is they no longer care if what they are reporting is true, will harm others, or cause a backlash of any kind. Some times, I've even seen news stories that seemed to me like they where trying to bait a group to counter attack.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I imagine there were actually less individuals going on killing sprees back then though, I mean hundreds/thousands of years ago people knew damn well that if they went on a killing spree (or attempted to) all by themselves the rest of the village would find out and beat their ass to death. There were no arrests and trials back then. You'd just got your instant karma and that was that.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

If you studied history you'd realize that there were entire villages accused, condemned and burned alive (not unlike your "cute little" avatar) for witchcraft. Where? when? how?

Go study and find out for yourself. In the future, you'll be better adapt/adept with your responses.

edit on 14-5-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

incidents are not increasing - reportage is increasing - a big difference

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
reply to post by Xaphan

If you studied history you'd realize that there were entire villages accused, condemned and burned alive (not unlike your "cute little" avatar) for witchcraft. Where? when? how?

Go study and find out for yourself. In the future, you'll be better adapt/adept with your responses.

Those villages weren't "accused, condemned and burned alive" by one person.

What part of "individuals going on killing sprees" and "all by themselves" didn't you understand?

edit on 15-5-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

At what time, do we give up freedom in favor of security? Or do you think like I do, that In order to have the freedom our forefathers fought so hard for, we have to leave our country open to attacks such as this and carry on?

First of all, if people are willing to sacrifice their liberty for a little perceived safety, then they've already surrendered to those who would gladly take it from them. Government, NWO, terrorists, no matter. One might as well just curl up in a fetal position and suck their thumb.

Generations of Americans before us were ready to give their very LIVES to preserve these things. Arlington alone speaks to this by way of its long rows of marbled-white markers. These were people who had no intention of rolling over on commend or surrendering to fear.

My closing thought here is that I would rather die a free man than live under any shadow. I think I can speak for my family in saying the same.

But... ironically, it's still a free country so, one can choose to run and hide in the sweaty bosom of fear indulged.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by grubblesnert
reply to post by Xaphan

Those villages weren't "accused, condemned and burned alive" by one person.

What part of "individuals going on killing sprees" and "all by themselves" didn't you understand?

edit on 15-5-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)
This part.. "individuals" meaning more than one.

Mr. smartypants.

P.S. That photo of yourself is not very flattering.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

That moment when I realize that I'm a troll being trolled by a troll...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join