It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life without Money

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
Fairly simple to be honest.

Everything is granted for free, just as it should have been since the dawn of time. I wish a world without money, where every being has a roof on top of their head and food on the table at all times. Maybe some day...

Oooh free. The things you have, I can have now. Free.

Awesome. I'll come over this arvo and collect the flat screen. Can I have the xbox too? Just leave it in a box out the front at 4pm.

Free is good.

I don't get why people who've worked to make things for themselves would give them to me for free. Interesting idea, but we'll have to test it thoroughly.

What sort of car do you have, by the way? I might want that too.

I was talking about basic needs in my OP. Food, water and shelter should be provided for free. All the things that you want from me are created by money and bought with money, those are not necessities. Even a car is not a necessity, well for me...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the shout out Ak!

I personally feel like the world in its current state is in way too deep to be pulled out. We are so thoroughly dependent on money that removing it would make everything collapse around us.

What would be a solution? Bartering maybe? That's the only thing I can think of, but I still don't see how that would work because giving someone a chicken or a cow to fix your cable wouldn't really work I don't think.

I'm interested in what your solution is though. Don't hold out on us!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

How would a world without money exist?

If you're thinking of Star Trek, it's a fallacy. Who scrubs the toilets on the Enterprise? (for example). It's fiction.

There will ALWAYS be some kind of money, even if it is just barter value. Someone will assign units and these units will become a convention. Simple as that.

Now, we could get to a point where basic needs are provided by robots perhaps, but at the same time, someone has to pay for them, so what happens to folks who simply don't want to contribute (or who can't)? Do the rest of us foot the bill for them? Is that fair?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Google the Venus project. Resource based economy. Just needs to be put into action. Maybe one day we will set aside personal greed and actually fix this messed up world. The Venus project is the answer IMO.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Do you have something more to go on for this? So far, I'm just seeing some pie-in-the-sky ideas, with no real plan of implementation. Not to mention, in a world where basic needs are provided for, there must be some impetus for some to break out and forge ahead with new ideas, etc. Where does the funding or resources come from, for those efforts? Also, without the incentive of bettering oneself, what is the motivating factor for change? Or, is the plan for a stagnant society?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Weellll, It wasn't until till people decided that we "NEED" it. If everyone just agreed to bartering or trade i am pretty sure it'd be how it used to be. That is, as of now, come to agree that money is useless pieces of paper with no real value. The answer is simple. Quit thinking that "money" has any real value. Let everyone who has the mentality that "we need money to exist" live somewhere else on this planet while the rest of us build the world around them based on real living and real wealth. No monetary system. Being kind and courteous, lending a helping hand for those who need it. Being respectful. Caring. Being the loving nurturing people that we are meant to be. Stop killing and raping everything on this planet. Then maybe things can get moving. Questions may be hard but the answers are simple. People all over the world (besides people in the cities for some reason) can still live without electricity, grow their own foods, barter, trade its not that hard. I mean, unless your just an evil greedy bastard that wants power who does not have the balls to live without any of the materialism (hahaha). The real question you need to ask is "How in the world are people that are used to this luxury of a lifestyle, get use to not having everything at their fingertips anymore?" Start by teaching everyone especially the younger ones(not only physically young but mentally as well) that WE CAN and WE WILL live in a world not based on a monetary-marketing system. Everyone has a conscious and a sub-conscious and it knows right from wrong good from bad. Start there as well. It has been done waaay before these little pieces of paper came into play.It'll happen if everyone will believe it themselves. It's simple though it may take some time.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ever heard of a post-scarcity economy? That is probably the most likely way that we could have a world without money. It's essentially the theory of the Star Trek future. Once we have nano-assemblers that can make anything out of anything, free energy from solar or fusion and robots to do all the hard labor, there's little reason to have money.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.

Post-scarcity (also styled postscarcity) is a hypothetical form of economy or society in which goods, services and information are free,[1] or practically free. This would require an abundance of fundamental resources (matter, energy and intelligence), in conjunction with sophisticated automated systems capable of converting raw materials into finished goods.

Wikipedia: Post-Scarcity Economy

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It all still exists without money Imagine if you went to work and Turned oil into gasoline you can. And not get paid for it. I'm saying getting paid is a dying concept.
edit on 15-5-2013 by QuantumCounterfeit64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

There would be no funding. Everything would be available for everyone. Initially, there would be a huge inventory of resources, followed by mass scientific development to automate as much as possible, then construction and movement into centralized communities that were self sufficient.

I don't see how this would be "pie-in-the-sky".

It would reduce the amount of waste on consumer good production by providing things people want and need via a check-out warehouse system. Ie. You need a digital camera for a birthday party, you go check one out, and bring it back when you are done." That way we dont make 4 billion of them and waste resources....and a few people get rich off of them while the majority struggles to survive.

Mass public transit system, but you could again "check out" a car if you wanted to drive somewhere.

I have always been a fan of a world without money....it just fosters a greed based mentality that frankly, results on a narrow world view and stifles true progress.

Think of what communities/societies could accomplish with the removal of stress of survival and climbing the preverbial ladder.... Focus could be on making things more efficient and enhancing/advancing society as a whole.

This needs to happen at some point, and The Venus Project is the best example of a viable way to do it that I have seen.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

So... This is my question...

Isn't that what food stamps are all about? Not so utopian...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Akragon

So... This is my question...

Isn't that what food stamps are all about? Not so utopian...

uhh... maybe?

LOL...

Not really the answer I was looking for... yet rather amusing in any case

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by evictiongnostic

It's impossible to have a world without money. If you don't believe me, go visit a prison. They invent their own currencies.

Money and people go hand in hand.

Since the dawn of time, people have been lending something to one another, or trading or purchasing goods.

In some jails the currency is cigarettes. In others, it's stamps. Actual mail stamps. They come in denominations of 0.50 or 1.00, usually. SO people collect a lot of bloody stamps. Sell them once they are released.

Or, actual money is traded outside the walls and deals are made inside.

But for running currencies lets consider the smokes or stamps.

No actual currency has been sponsored or installed in the jails. It's created from the people in it. No matter where you go, people will put value on things, and trade in goods.

While this is normally a barter system, it only takes one entrepreneur to create a monetary system.

So lets say you had the Star Trek system... (I think they still had credits didn't they?)

You find one expensive item in the universe, whether it be some really hard to make item even though you have super hightech nano gadgets, or just something your replicators can't make... And voila... currency.

Simple as that.

Last time I checked, Lt Ryker, (Riker?) from TNG loved his poker...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Akragon

If you're thinking of Star Trek, it's a fallacy. Who scrubs the toilets on the Enterprise? (for example). It's fiction.

There will ALWAYS be some kind of money, even if it is just barter value. Someone will assign units and these units will become a convention. Simple as that.

Now, we could get to a point where basic needs are provided by robots perhaps, but at the same time, someone has to pay for them, so what happens to folks who simply don't want to contribute (or who can't)? Do the rest of us foot the bill for them? Is that fair?

Dammit, I essentially made the same post without seeing yours first. You hit the nail on the head though. No matter what, there will be lazy/ambitious people. There will be people that are of more use, more value than others. No matter what, some people will want/deserve more than others.

This is something you cannot get away from.

In many cases, you start a new job, you get all the crappy jobs assigned to you. As you progress, you make your way to the top, and the crappy jobs are left to the new recruits. It's been this way for centuries, millennia, eons.

In any case, you might have a newbie that doesn't want to follow the pattern. So he offers reward to his cohorts to do the jobs along with their own workload. Those people are ambitious, or maybe just pliable. Our friend the one refusing to do crap labour (figuratively) he has banked some extra tokens/credits/milkshakes, so he's able to barter/trade/buy off the crap duties for free time for himself. He may be smart enough to do something to earn extra money while he has people finishing up his duties. This means, he essentially could still find a way to profit, even if the system is designed for everyone to partake in the lowest areas of the system.

A way to get around the "everyone is equal" BS that is in place to make things "fair".

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I would actually consider those things barter and not money. Bartering is used when money is not available. At least with bartering you're getting something that has value instead of a piece of paper that has artificial value tacked onto it.

I think bartering could be the way to go, but we'd have to get rid of a lot of our current technology in the process.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join