It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New survey for Political Discussion on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
We have a new member survey on ATS that will reward you with 500 ATS Points when you complete the four simple questions. Given the rise in rather intense political discussions here on ATS, we'd like to know what our members think about this inevitable topical evolution, and how we should respond as a community. Please take the time to complete this survey. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Though I dislike the flood of political threads, I say give it some time before making changes.. its prolly more or less the heat of the election..

But yeah, in my opinion, the good threads are getting buried in the 500+ political threadz

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My results are in.

In the last question I wish there would have been some sort of option of moving the politics thread to a mud-pit type of "restricted environment".

There are too many trolls IMHO and we need to find a way of controlling it.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I just wish all this election bickering would die already. We have been bombarded with it for too long as it is. I need 3 years off.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea SO...

I've said in many such threads that this recent divide is going to be the beginning to the end of civility...especially considering we aren't talking to faces - some feel they can put aside their fellowship and compassion for other people simply so they can tell someone they're wrong and flame them for it until their monitor even begins to blush

People need to get a grip on themselves...Same goes for outside of ATS and in the real world...I can't stand this constant bickering over issues that will never go away...It's life...get used to it people!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Politics are like any other hotly contested subject such as religion, sex, race....

ATS is basically a conspiracy board, where politics deals with conspiracies and such; it is right up ATS�s alley.

When politics are just for politics sake, imo, it should be on a special forum if not an alternate board, like BTS or maybe a new one could be created PTS-political top secret.

I strongly feel that no matter what it is discussed, people need to maintain their composure-IE follow TAC (Terms and Conditions) of ATS.

I see this as this board is experiencing growing pains and must be clear in which it intends to grow.

I applauded SO for realizing this and working to get member input to decide the direction this board will take.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think just let it die off. I am as guilty as all in the "heat" category. But don't change ATS over 1 election and some hurt "feelings". Let everything take it's natural course. After all this was the "last" election we will ever have anyway.
Does "Cesar" have a "w" in it?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I voted to keep it the same, I understand that the heated discussions may continue though I think it will slow down, if anything I think the mods job will just be a little rough for awhile, making sure that when threads deteriorate to mud slinging, that those threads get moved to the pit where they belong ASAP.

Here's to getting ATS back to the conspiracy and issue discussions that we all enjoy without the added emotional baggage!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
finished the survey

I personally think the politically aspect of ATS needs to be reorganised into:

General Politics
Sub Forum - US Politics
Sub Forum - UK Politics
Sub Forum - Other Politics (europe, Canada etc)

Political Debate - But you have to u2u a certain mod for access rather than spend the points

just my thoughts

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Politics are not what I come to ATS for, and in light of the myriads of political discussion forums already out there, it might seem somewhat redundant for ATS to host political discussions.

However, it is inevitable for politics to come up on a board like this, and it seems wise to have a place to put the inevitable political threads.

More importantly, there are many aspects of the political discussions we have here which are unique to ATS. After all, on most political boards the kinds of conspiracy theories that pass for normal here would probably get people booted.

So for the classic tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorists among us (and who among us isn't a tinfoiler, really?), ATS provides a sort of sheltered enclave where people who might otherwise be overlooked can trade notes.

Overall, I think politics on ATS is a good thing, but I would very much like to see less trollery and a more accommodating atmosphere for differing opinions. I'm not sure how that can be designed into a board, though.

I guess it's up to us.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
i voted .............

I think it's great we have the chance to talk about what happened in the political arena, and it's also therapeutic for those who need to vent...

It makes for great read and interesting topics...

I'm learning more on here... I love how people from all around the world can come on here and give their opinions... Youdon't hear the world's opinion on evening news... If you do it's slanted...

I'm really happy you made a thread for the 04 election, thanks...

link   
I'd give more people, and especially our members, a little more credit... This will be dying off soon I think...

Right now, all the threads (including my responses too, hehe..) seem to be a variant of those below...

1. Haha, we won ya' pansy liberal scum!
2. Great, we're doomed you know...and soon we'll say "I told you so".
3. The election was a farce, the NWO is firmly in control.
4. Okay, it's over, now lets all hug.

Give it a couple weeks and we'll be back to being our tin-foil hat wearing, bunker hiding, paranoid selves

link   
I just can't stand the people who will post, like five posts in an hour, all copy and paste jobs from World Net Daily or some such, saying or asking something that has been rehashed to death.

But I think it would be hard to separate politics from ATS. I mean, you have a President who cheated in 2000, lied to get us into a war that we are losing, and possibly cheated on the second election. That's a pretty big political conspiracy.

So maybe, keep the format the same, but a tighter moderation on Political threads?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
finished the survey

I personally think the politically aspect of ATS needs to be reorganised into:

General Politics
Sub Forum - US Politics
Sub Forum - UK Politics
Sub Forum - Other Politics (europe, Canada etc)

Political Debate - But you have to u2u a certain mod for access rather than spend the points

just my thoughts

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by UK Wizard]

This is a good idea, except you should have more subforums:
US politics
EU politics
Russia/CIS politics
Middle East politics
Far East politics
UN and NATO discussion
maybe a couple more...

Maybe there should also be a sub-forum with trash topics where moderators would move all the topics which people are not interested in and the ones which only start flame wars, which are not backed by real facts and info.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You know, now that I look at the 'Recent Posts', it seems to be calming down already.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I too think that the politics forums need a bit restructuring and a tougher moderation.

Right now, Bush topic are everywhere. Although there is an Election Forum, in all other forums most recent posts are all somehow related to Bush.

I think what UK Wizard suggested would be good, USA politics, UK politics and International Affairs (that sounds cool
) for all others. That would basicaly be renaming already existent forums to emphasize more whats it all about. Moderators should then be a bit more strict in these forums, only topics that really belong there should stay there.

Mud-Pit should stay for really hot debates and discussions.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
There are just so many fatalists out there. Its just gotten so excessive that its nearly depressing me. Then the one thing I asked people to do, since all of them are so bent up on this whole election. What can we do to fix the divide. I think one reply about sipping margaritas and laughing telling everyone "I told you so" summed that up for me.

People just want to complain but don't have ANYTHING constructive to offer. That is just sad to me.

This fatalist name calling, political and scandal slaying bumrush that has hit this site is tiring me. I seriously WISH I could take a break from this website but I'm addicted.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I see this as more of a referendum on future election cycles than the current dilemma. ATS is a constantly evolving discussion platform that needs to be responsive to it's memberships interest, tempered by the desire for long term membership and a sense of civility. The rise in traffic that results from a predictable event (election cycles) can be used to ATS's advantage in terms of advertising. Revenue gained from peak volumes can go a long way in Board Bling-Bling, lets make the most of the lemons that have and will be dealt our way.

Lemonade Stand Monkeys, not just for �Hot Days� anymore�

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think we need to keep all political threads off the recent posts.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am very glad that they political post are here, they help me vent my frustrations and voice my disapointment, and that is helping me get over the elections.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join