It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to all ATS members and lurkers alike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Do you like yourself ?

It's as simple as that

I've just spent 3 days researching typing up insightful thoughts and saving snippets of reports and sources.

It all comes down to one thing

Are you happy to be the person you are ?

Over the last eight or so years I've watched members arrive, grow, find confidence and go off into the real world anew, I'm lucky enough to stay in contact with some of them.

So when you go to bed tonight. Will you hold your dream ? Will you hold your loved one ? Will you hold your child ?

Will you awake anew ? Refreshed ?

Just a thought

Cody

Angels on your pillows

edit on 14/5/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You're assuming that we know ourselves.

Most don't until it's too late IMO. So, just trying to be happy with the journey and not the answer nor destination is enough for me.

Peace

edit on 14-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Absolutely I'm happy being the person I am...Who else am I gonna be?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I absolutely like myself and am happy with myself just the way I am! As far as other people go- well, they usually either love me or they hate me. I can't really waste my time worrying about what anybody else thinks of me. I am fortunate that my friends and family love and accept me just the way I am, complete with all my odd little quirks. I go to bed at night with a clear conscience and wake the same way. Life is good!

ETA: Since I will be home alone tonight the loved one I will be cuddling with is my dog. Fortunately he isn't a "cover hog" but he does drool and snore a bit!
edit on 14-5-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I'm pretty happy with myself. I've learned to accept my shortcomings and work on them, which sadly is not something most choose to do. Once you can recognize your faults, you can begin to work on them, and that is one step closer to enlightenment.

Cheers to being a human!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Mmmm.... Yes! Undoubtably, Yes! I wil hold my fiance'... And my daughter.... FAMILY CUDDLE!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I love myself, I aknowledge that i am not perfect but then again no one is. I am secure in knowing this i am and educated idiot, I am smart enough to know I dont know.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
People ask me everyday why I'm so happy I still don't know how to answer that yet.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I guess I like myself. At times I find myself to be disappointed with who I am. But I guess that's life. Eh! Drama and depression.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I could never make that assumption
That was the reason for the original question

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Just had to do it...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Most don't until it's too late IMO. So, just trying to be happy with the journey and not the answer nor destination is enough for me.

Peace

edit on 14-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

reply to post by jude11

I could never make that assumption
That was the reason for the original question

Cody,

Not accusatory but just a philosophical post.

All good.

Peace

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I do like the way I think. I love my daydreams and night dreams. I HATE my failures in life, and I can't remember too many successes even though I know I've had some.

But, here's the thing. It's not so much if I hate or love my life, it's that I wouldn't want to be anyone else. I am me. To be someone else would be living a lie. Snap my fingers and I'm living Donald Trump's life. No thanks, he is just not me. Snap fingers again and I'm Charles Manson. No thank you!

For better or worse, I'll stick with me.
edit on 5/14/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am happy with the progress I've made towards being satisfied with myself. I'll never be done or totally satisfied. I already know that. It's how I'm wired.

Compared to where my head was 20 years ago, I'm the Dali Lama.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Want to be honest here. No I don't like myself. I'm working on it though.

Some days are better than others. Sometimes I wear a huge smile and I really am happy. And sometimes I fall down into a pit and dirt suffocates me.

Everything will work out the way it's supposed to and I will one day truly like myself for who I am.

Peace and love
-nat the blue eyed cat-

EDIT- I do love life and am blessed to be alive and well. I have a wonderful son and little sis whom I adore and I am here for reason.
edit on 14-5-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I do like myself. I know I have a lot of room for growth and improvement, so I work on that, but I like who I am. I have some regrets, large and small, but I don't spend a lot of time feeling bad about them. I try to learn from them and move forward.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
"THE VILLAGE BLACKSMITH"

Under a spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan:
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

Week in, week out, from morn till night,
You can hear his bellows blow;
You can hear him swing his heavy sledge,
With measured beat and slow,
Like a sexton ringing the village bell,
When the evening sun is low.

And children coming home from school
Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,
And hear the bellows roar,
And catch the burning sparks that fly
Like chaff from a threshing floor.

He goes on Sunday to the church,
And sits among his boys;
He hear the parson pray and preach,
He hears his daughter's voice,
Singing in the village choir,
And it makes his heart rejoice.

It sounds to him like her mother's voice,
Singing in Paradise!
He needs must think of her once more,
How in the grave she lies;
And with his hard, rough hand he wipes
A tear out of his eyes.

Toiling,--rejoicing,--sorrowing,
Onwards through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close;
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught!
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought!

By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

ETA; Your thread reminded me of this poem. One of my favorites. Just wanted to share.
edit on 14-5-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Wow Cody,

I have to admit that I do struggle with the idea of liking myself and your first question brings me to the second. Am I happy with the person I am.

I have always been a deeply cerebral person and after the age of six began to be hyper critical of myself. This has manifested itself over the years in many different ways mostly in my yearning to harmonize the outer me with the inner me.

I can be a painfully shy person and the very thought of liking myself fills me with dread and for some reason shame. Now I cant say if there was a specific event or experience that I could attribute this to but It's something I have tried to overcome over the years, with little success.

In '92 I was involved in a major car wreck and years later I am still incredibly amazed that I did not head into the next adventure that day. I am also so thankful that I have had the opportunity to see my daughter grow up into the wonderful person she is. Now here's where the analytical me says "come on, get it together please don't let shyness get in the way of doing what you want to do".

This is most obvious to me when it comes to singing and dancing, or more specifically singing and dancing in front of other humans. This might seem trivial but it really does mean the difference between liking myself and liking the person I am.

I have come a long way, and I have to thank ATS in part for that. maybe it's like ripping off a bandaid and I need to go find a karaoke bar and go for it.

Anyhoo, Thank you Cody

Penny

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Dang,

I hope I didn't just kill this fine thread. I have yet to join up with thread killers anonymous but then again I am new here. There is plenty of time for me to admit that I have a problem ; )

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join