It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer - why there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why is cancer so prevalent in breasts, ovaries and prostates? If someone has the cancer gene, then why not knee cancer or earlobe cancer?

Any doctors here that can answer this?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
isn't the cancer gene just a theory?
2nd

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

cant believe this i only said to my wife today before this post came on why dont people get cancer of the arm or leg or something stupid like that instead of breast or prostate strange.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Probably passive smoking...

Å99

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Doesn't it have something to do with glands?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm not a doc but there is a reason why organ tissue (especially tissues with lots of sex hormone receptors) are more prone to cancer than other tissues.

The risk of cancer is increased with every cell division due to the chance of mutations thus tissues that have cells that divide frequently are more prone to cancer.

The organs you mentioned all have abundant hormone receptors. Hormones encourage cell division. Any hormone does, not just sex hormones. Excess insulin and insulin like growth factor hormones are also known to increase the risk of cancer in those organs.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Å99

Christopher Reeves (Superman) wife got lung cancer and she was never around smokers. Oh yeah, the lungs too.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiteNGale2
I'm not a doc but there is a reason why organ tissue (especially tissues with lots of sex hormone receptors) are more prone to cancer than other tissues.

The risk of cancer is increased with every cell division due to the chance of mutations thus tissues that have cells that divide frequently are more prone to cancer.

The organs you mentioned all have abundant hormone receptors. Hormones encourage cell division. Any hormone does, not just sex hormones. Excess insulin and insulin like growth factor hormones are also known to increase the risk of cancer in those organs.

Wow, I don't know if this is true or not, but it sure makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Å99

Christopher Reeves (Superman) wife got lung cancer and she was never around smokers. Oh yeah, the lungs too.

Funny that (definitely NOT in a humourous way!)...
...and I'll bet you No Money, she was never around anything she could breath into her lungs!?...

Å99

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Å99

...and I'll bet you No Money, she was never around anything she could breath into her lungs!?...

Å99

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, so I'm going to take for granted that you're not. Would she have been around sheetrock dust? Cement dust? Insulation? I don't think so. As a wealthy person she would have had that done by others while she stayed at a hotel or friends mansion. Yeah? No?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Å99

and yet George Burns who was well known for smoking lived to a very ripe old age without lung cancer.
curious that.

don't forget the cancers of almost every other organ, other glands like thyroid cancer, bone cancer and skin cancer. is the stomach considered an organ? if not there is stomach cancer as well.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, so I'm going to take for granted that you're not. Would she have been around sheetrock dust? Cement dust? Insulation? I don't think so. As a wealthy person she would have had that done by others while she stayed at a hotel or friends mansion. Yeah? No?

I'm being cynical...there are things very wrong with the 'cancer' issue, that have informed the monologue on cancer...don't want to derail the topic...but the 'passive smoking' fabrication (for lung cancer) makes no actual sense, indeed has never been investigated in any proper way...oh yeah, we put 'manicured' laboratory rats in an enclosed space, pump it full of cigarette smoke and voila!...lung cancer from passive smoking!
...how about the lifetime of living around cancer causing agents?...breathable, what's more!

Cancer is a process of 'runaway' cell division...

Å99

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You have to wonder why some chain smokers live until a ripe old age never getting cancer. Yet, some people who have never touched a cigarette in their life get cancer.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I had face cancer if that helps??

Knee cancer + earlobe cancer would be forms of skin cancer, which in this day and age of tans being "cool" is fairly common. This goes along with what Nitengale said, skin cancer is probably as common as breast/prostate/ovarian cancers but only because there's so much more of the skin to develop cancer...

I hope this makes sense, it did in my head

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma, a gland above the kidneys. Instead of getting skinny I got fat, went from 120lbs to 192lbs, do to excess cortisol. I am back to normal size and

below normal blood pressure, after months of nasty chemo. I was lucky and blessed to respond. I still am on oral chemo Mitotane, but doing good and very grateful ♡ I also have Lynch Syndrome ( msh2 gene), after having my tumor tested, the results were it was caused by the Lynch.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik

Å99

and yet George Burns who was well known for smoking lived to a very ripe old age without lung cancer.
curious that.

don't forget the cancers of almost every other organ, other glands like thyroid cancer, bone cancer and skin cancer. is the stomach considered an organ? if not there is stomach cancer as well.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It just seems like the sex parts get more attention in the news.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
There seems to be a correlation between cancer and tissue that is fattier and generally cooler than the rest of the body. For instance, how often does a person get cancer on their elbow, or their thighs or ankles? Somehow or another, cool fat seems to be a breeding area for cancers.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

You can get cancer anywhere, I would imagine the organs are more susceptible because they are more active? They (the cells) replicate more so wear out more and stand more of a chance of mutating/loosing the kill switch?

Bob Marley died of cancer of the big toe (Melanoma / skin cancer), so I guess cancer of the elbow would be a form skin cancer too.

edit on 14/5/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe because we fill our bodies with sexual hormone replicators.. They are found in drinking water and the likes and are not filtered out. They are often found in chemicals like plasticides used to soften plastics. Over time they bioaccumulate in the body and are passed down from generation to generation through the mother when she feeds a baby.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe because we fill our bodies with sexual hormone replicators.. They are found in drinking water and the likes and are not filtered out. They are often found in chemicals like plasticides used to soften plastics. Over time they bioaccumulate in the body and are passed down from generation to generation through the mother when she feeds a baby.

I wouldn't know. And, in my lack of knowledge I wonder if our DNA is weakening with each copy it makes. Our human DNA has been copying itself for what? Two-hundred-thousand years? Maybe cancer is a sign of it breaking down. I dunno.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join