It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No swear words so why Abbreviated ones?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am just wondering why it would be ok to say WTFH and such and not the words we ALL KNOW they stand for. If you allow all the initials of the swear words and the persons mind reads the words not the initials, what is the point anyway?

Seems that more and more posters use these terms and they are acceptable and not removed...it confuses me.
Why are the words not allowed if it is not a moral code and if it is why are the initials allowed?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Technically, we frown on IM'ese on the actual conspiracy forums, but on below top secret ones, we kind of give it a pass. The reason for the ban on profanity is due to it affecting ad revenue. That's why we censor it (to my understanding). The IM'ese terms don't count in this regard as to the negative effect.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Remember being a kid, and the teacher was listening, and at the last minute you'd change the word to fudge?
What the fudge!!

Or you'd make a major mistake, and something just had to come out, fiddlesticks!!!

Can't get rid of the letter F

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The reason for the ban on profanity is due to it affecting ad revenue.

So.... If we keep our mouths/fingers from swearing... ATS/BTS get's more ad revenue??? I take it the vendor's providing the ad's do not like profanity???

Hrmmm.... Where do I get that bubble to live in?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

We have software that automatically censors the common words that are identified as vulgar profanity. So, you can type it, but it will look different. That's why we ask that you not try and circumvent them.

As for revenue, yeah, of course. Do you hear the F-bomb on national TV? No, because the sponsors don't want to offend their audience, and they'll vote with their feet, taking $$$ with them. Costs money to maintain the boards (if you didn't know, we mods are volunteers, we aren't paid). That's what the ad revenue goes towards.

As for the bubble, well, we're in it. Sure, there are other sites where you can swear away, and it is more like the Wild West, etc., but here on ATS, we try and provide a more relaxed and family-friendly atmosphere to engage in discussion vs. flamewars and swearing like sailors. For the most part, most members seem to appreciate it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by Gazrok

The reason for the ban on profanity is due to it affecting ad revenue.

So.... If we keep our mouths/fingers from swearing... ATS/BTS get's more ad revenue??? I take it the vendor's providing the ad's do not like profanity???

Hrmmm.... Where do I get that bubble to live in?

Ahhhh but is it a bubble?
Or...maybe the bubble has burst into..another bubble
or maybe..get this...ATS is a front from them peeps from plaiedus whom are..get this...Harvesting us!!!

Salt anyone?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I totally understand, for some odd reason today I'm just asking "oddity" questions...

Though.... TV Channels have become a lot more lenient on what they will air for there viewers.... They just put a "Rated M" and they get away with it....

Think abou how long it was before you could even say "Boob" or "Boobie" on tv... Now there's "Boob" Comments all over the place... For some reason everytime I say "Boobie" I start laughing.....

I'm in a much better mood than yesterday...
Disregard me I'm a clown today~

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thank you for explaining, I have been puzzling over this for sometime now. still it seems the adds run here are a bit questionable sometimes but I guess there are other sponsors besides Asian Women, that look like for sell and such.

Personally I feel a whole lot more is said when people don't have the option of the filler words they use so much in conversation. Some sites I have to wade through the swear words to finally figure out what they are trying to say!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The ads are usually more geared towards your other browser habits...

So if you're looking at Asian girls....

(well, not always...just kidding....)

Seriously though, same reason we have the zero tolerance policy on drug debate.
Being close to the issue (my wife has one of the medically approved conditions, and it actually does help her), I still have to refrain from discussion about it, which sucks, but I get it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The ads are usually more geared towards your other browser habits...

So if you're looking at Asian girls....

(well, not always...just kidding....)

Seriously though, same reason we have the zero tolerance policy on drug debate.
Being close to the issue (my wife has one of the medically approved conditions, and it actually does help her), I still have to refrain from discussion about it, which sucks, but I get it.

My browsing is science, news, netflix, ATS, and a little Amazon shopping....that's it...I am really boring!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Is the ATS staff able to see what ads are being presented to certain members, or perhaps what ads were shown at all?

/chews on finger nails a bit..

Certain levels of ostracizing would be explained if this is the case..

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

No, we only see the ads that come up for us, same as you.

top topics

join