It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Drinking-Driving Limit LOWERED to 0.05.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You answered my question. These laws are in place to protect the public from individuals who perform these acts while driving. To answer your question, Will it stop these acts from being performed? No, but when confronted with possible jail time, massive lawyer bills and fines up the you know what, I`m happy those laws are there. If not for me then for my family.
edit on 14-5-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

It's not just teens or alcoholics, your average adult can still be well over the limit the next morning, even well into the afternoon.

Take a read of this (if you so choose):

Can I drive the morning after drinking alcohol?

While far fewer people are taking the risk of drink-drinking at night, more are getting into their cars in the morning. Many without realising they could still be over the legal limit to drive.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Here is pretty much zero tolerance against drunk and drive. Currently it is 0.02. After parties outside the city it is uncommon to wait for hours (my record is 8 hours) with breathalyser-testing every ten minutes and waiting till the driver gets sober.

Of course, laws can not undo what is done, but they make a person think more. After heavy some people would not even have money to drink anymore and that is right thing to do. If the government earns more it is on the stupidity of people and they deserve it, at least in this particular case.

Being a car owner is a responsibility. No texting, no drinking, nothing. Just concentrate on driving or do not drive. Easy. If you do not like the rules, do not drive or pay the fines/risk jail time. There are so many other people besides you driving and you are not risking with yourself, but with them. It is nobody´s right or freedom to risk the lives of others.

0.05 is still a lot in my opinion. I have also pretty strong stomach . Couple of years ago I took part in a study, where driver abilities were tested. A total of six beers was drunk (not very much 3l total) . After every beer a test drive was made in specific circuit with obstacles and also some things were measured, reaction speed etc. The results were stunning. Even one beer significantly affected my reaction speed. In real life, if such situation had happened, I would have crashed or killed somebody.

I like Finnish laws on the matter. The fines are extreme, based on salary. Nokia boss was fined 150,000 $ for speeding, drunk and drive for a rich person might take millions of euros. A Swede got a fine of 991,000 $ for driving 180 mph. For risking the lives of others, such punishments are even easy.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'm glad.
If anything I don't think the penalties on drunk driving are tough enough.
Could care less if a drunk driver feels it's unfair they lost their license cause they were driving drunk.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Im in the US and the DUI thing is a big scam...its not for your protection its for generating money for the local PD the average income generated by each DUI arrest is approx. $5000.00 now X that times many arrest's per month.
All in all the only advice I can tell you is if you have been drinking absolutely refuse the breathalyzer test. Every cop, judge or politician does it that gets caught...seems to be the thing to do.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I think it should be zero tolerance, you take a drink, you don’t drive.

Drink driving kills

I dont drink but... come on, its not like a beer will strip you of any capacity required to drive a car. Actually it doesnt strip you of any capacity at all...

Some common sense should prevail.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Lowing it to 0.000000 wouldnt stop a drunk from driving drunk.

It just casts a wider net so they can arrest more people for taking cough syrup and inflate the importance of the police.

Just like the pointless "texting" laws that were stacked on top of at least a dozen other distracted driving laws.

People need to stop using lines like "x many more lives saved" because the offense and accident rates always remain the same. What people whould start saying is "x number of people arrested" and "$x generated".

Funny you should say that as I just came home from the scene of the accident where my brother hit a 20 year old girl who was texting and ran a stop sign. He's hurt, she's not.

Your opinion is wrong, but you're free to have one. I despise needless laws and regulations but we live in a country full of idiots and if they don't have the sense or the capacity to care and worry about others, then it is necessary to give them guidelines since they lack common sense.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
All they want is to put everyone in jail jesus!!!
Things are going to keep getting worse people don't have anymore money, things are bad, here it comes.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is just silly.

For starters this will do nothing to stop people from drinking and driving. What it will do it create cause to arrest even more people. I would not be shocked to see people blow "over the limit" after having taken some cold medicine, which may very well be the idea. Fact is DUI's and DWI's generate large revenues for the State.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Like for profit prisons, our incarceration is becoming big business.

This country really is just a shell of itself.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Trust me it doesn't have a thing to do with saving lives it's all about money. Let me preface what I'm about to say, by admitting that at 36 years old, the one thing other than war I've seen the most people die prematurely of is drug and alcohol related incidences usually involving motor vehicles. Everyone should have the experience of getting a DUI, it is truly enlightening in the machinations of the Criminal Justice System in the US, and what really matters to it, that being $$$$$.

So, after being indoctrinated by SADD and MADD ( by the way never give money to those organizations as they consistently rank near the bottom of charities due the fact that almost all money taken in is spent on either salaries or further fundraising) propaganda during my high school years followed by 3 years of repeated admonitions of "DO NOT GET A DUI" in the Army, I found myself on the side of 85 South coming home from an evening of revelry in Buckhead blowing in a machine held by a Coweta County deputy after being pulled over for going 115 mph.I blew a 0.15 BAC, almost twice the legal limit.My education had just begun.

So, I was taken to jail, then called my folks to see if they'd post bond. Luckily, this was my first adult offense so my folks posted a property bond in a different county and had it transferred to the county that I was being held in. The night in the holding cell wasn't so bad, I vaguely remember seeing some crazy lady being restrained by the overnight jailers, and sleeping of my intoxication on a cold metal bench underneath an old wool blanket. It wasn't a hardship at all for someone who'd spent several months earlier in the year sleeping on a cold metal floor of a M-109A6 howitzer under an old wool blanket.Breakfast was nothing special but for someone who was used to MREs and T-rations it was digestible, and helped ease the hangover I'd earned. So, the jailers let me out as my mom shows up with the paperwork for the bond.I was greeted with the statement "This is the one time we'll get you out for this." First thing I do is find my car. I'm not paying a minute more of storage than I have to. So I track down the Tow service who luckily still has my car on his wrecker. I go to his house, pay him the tow fee in cash, I think it was $75 or so. I get home and everyone in my family is there. I get the obligatory tongue lashing from my mom, stepdad, aunt, and grandparents. After that there is a funny point when every man in my family owns up to the fact that they've spent a night in jail at some point in their life, for something to do with alcohol.

So, after getting home and sleeping off my hangover, I have to find a lawyer. At this point in my life I'm a full time student, luckily I've got a little bit of money stashed from when I was deployed earlier in the year. So, I do a bit of research and find a scummy lawyer who'd only recently entered private practice after being an Assistant DA in the county I was arrested in. I show up, pay him $500 dollars cash and begin the process of getting this behind me. The traffic violation I was pulled over for is as bad as the DUI in it's fine potential, so we've got to do something about that. I tell the lawyer I've got a problem with my speedometer/odometer and it doesn't work right. He's says," find someone to fix it, and get me some documentation". So I pay a mechanic about $150 to fix it and he gives me the proper documentation to take to court.

Court day arrives, my lawyer tells me to be able to pay the fine in full and in cash and he can keep me out of the required 24 hours in jail. We plead guilty to the DUI and the judge throws out the speeding charge. I pay $1200 cash to the court (fine and court costs) and wait in the back of the court house a couple of hours and am then released. Part of my sentence was 80hours of community service with supervised probation until complete and then unsupervised for a year.

Here's where I knew it was about the money. As I was doing the community service I found so many people who were in similar situations but couldn't pay a lawyer and the fine money at one time like I did. Their fines were higher, they spent the time in jail, and had more hours of community service for the exact same first offense.

I'm running short on space so I'll summerize all the other costs I incurred from this experience.
$40/week probation fee paid to the probation officer until community service was completed.
$50 drug and alcohol assessment followed by $200 2 day DUI school
$200 License reinstatement fee for the DMV.
Massive jump in car insurance premium that took nearly 5 years to go away.
Lost wages from missed work due to court and community service.

That was my one adult trip through the system. I no doubt deserved it, but because I had cash I was able to mitigate it in ways not available to others. Haven't been arrested for anything since, but I came out of it with an appreciation for what really matters in US Justice, $$$$$$

edit on 14-5-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
here lately, I have met some people who have been arrested for a DWI only to end up plea bargaining with an Obstruction of Highway. Obstruction of highway is a lesser charge but still carries a nice fine. I feel it is a revenue mechanism but do feel that drunks need to be taken off the road.

A few weeks ago I went to a Rangers game and could only think how many of these beer guzzlers at the ball game were the ones driving. Then driving home I happened to come up on a drunk who was all over the road. This was about one in the morning ang my daughters were begging me to not pass him up because he might run into us. On the other hand, I was afraid my daughters would see a bad wreck.I tried to call 911 but had no service. The driver finally pulled into Mcdonald's aS we entered a local town. I saw a cop car there and figured he would take care of the drunk seeing that the drunk almost knocked down the Mcdonalds sign as he was pulling in at a fast speed.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Nevertheless

It's not just teens or alcoholics, your average adult can still be well over the limit the next morning, even well into the afternoon.

Take a read of this (if you so choose):

Can I drive the morning after drinking alcohol?

While far fewer people are taking the risk of drink-drinking at night, more are getting into their cars in the morning. Many without realising they could still be over the legal limit to drive.

I won't argue with it being possible to have measurable amounts of alcohol in your body the day after.
However, the starting point was that if the question is "will I be able to drive to tonight?" it should imply that the person considers not to really have been even drinking. Thus it should be perfectly fine to drive the next morning.

However, you saying "only 5 or 6 pints" indicates that your reference frame of what is "only" differs drastically to what I consider normal. How often do you see adults ordering 5-6 ice-creams or coca-colas? Then why only 5-6 pints?

If a person "needs" to drink only 5-6 pints, maybe that person doesn't need to be on the road if he/she feels like he/she barely have had anything. It's not wise to let such people guesstimate how much alcohol they have in their bodies, and them also being aware that little alcohol in the body is okay.
Hence the 0-tolerance concept.

Yes, I do personally find it a bit restrictive, but if people can't behave I have to deal with the consequences too. I'm not too bothered.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

" I think it should be zero tolerance, you take a drink, you don’t drive. Drink driving kills "

I couldn't have put it better myself ! The most intelligent reply to this post.

And anyone who doesn't like being fined or banned, don't look for excuses, just don't drink and drive....ever.

Simple ?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Not in Newfoundland. I believe there it's zero-tolerance for driving under the influence.

That's cause Newfies have trouble driving when theyre sober...

Incidentally, I personally adhere to the no-tolerance rule myself, and self imposed of course. In my younger days, I'm not sure how I did it. But I always made it home and never killed anyone. In any case, I feel I owe for those sins and I simply keep it 0/0. 0 alcohol or 0 miles (KMs) on the road.
edit on 15-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The first limit imposed here in Oz was 0.08% BAC back in the 70s and this is the point where a person is visibly intoxicated so definitely impaired for performing precision tasks like driving. When that didn't have the desired affect, the limit was dropped to the point where a person is measurably impaired in terms of reaction times even when they think they're OK and show no (or very few) obvious signs of intoxication. That magic number is 0.05% BAC and for provisional license holders (1st 1-3 years) the limit is 0.00%.

It is obviously a revenue raiser but to avoid making a contribution, simply don't drive after consuming anything intoxicating. They also test for other 'recreational' drugs now at random locations here. Worth remembering is that after a really big night out (getting yourself falling down drunk), it can take over 24 hours for your BAC to get back to a 'legal' level.
edit on 15/5/2013 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
Wish we had some statistics on blood alcohol levels of drivers at fault in fatal accidents. I would bet almost all are well above 0.10, and probably most are above 0.20.

I agree that such a limit would just add primarily to the pockets of the judicial system.

My 2 cents worth after working in ERs for many years.

I seriously doubt "almost all" are intoxicated. Plenty of high speed accidents involving non-intoxicated drivers, i was almost killed more than a few times by drivers using cell phones...and yes, i am certain they were looking at andor using their phones.

reply to post by Pilgrum

Personally, i think .05 seems a bit low, although i dont drink much and never have to drive drunk so i dont know what .05 would equal in number of drinks - i know easy to look up.

To the other point though, i think that was a good idea to make it .00 for new drivers. First, bad habits die hard and secondly, a lot needs to be said for experience - in driving, not drinking.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Drunk driving kills

And, people who are on prescribed Meds that drive, also kill. It's not just Alcohol.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Which is why everybody is strongly advised to do neither.

It's too bad this new legal limit won't do any good. I would bet that no deaths will be avoided by it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Drink driving kills

yep spot on.

I don't care how much people complain, something you should never mix.

alcohol and driving is one of them.

Its .05 here in Aus, has been for a looooong time.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
More and more the U.S. is becoming a police state. They just lowered the BAC from 1.00 to .08 not too many years ago. I still think .08 is too low, especially because in my state if you are physically impaired you can be arrested for dui anyway. Thus the 1.0 standard was fine because only those who could not pass the tests at a traffic stop were arrested and those who had superior skills despite being near the limit were let go.

Bottom line is, they did a study and found the only way they can fund their operations with their overinflated salary's, 100k race cars & SUV motor pools, multimillion dollar swat ops, marble buildings, free employee only parking, 20k desks every five years and basically rule the people and tax you severely for what was once considered acceptable normal behavior.

Just another tool in LE's bag of tricks, probably to offset their old faithful I smell marijuana so we can search your car scheme that is now in jeopardy because the newer lax marijuana laws as well as decriminalization in 2 states with more states preparing the same.

LE has become such a popular way to extract taxes, new LEA's are propping up all over because they have you by the balls and you either pay or get destroyed by their schemes. All the while convincing and using victims in commercial advertising to advance their taxing cause.

edit on 5/15/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join