It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tougher DUI Laws coming to a city near you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

-- A decade-old benchmark for determining when a driver is legally intoxicated -- the 0.08 blood-alcohol content rate -- should be lowered to 0.05, reducing the amount a motorist can imbibe before being presumed to be drunk, federal safety officials said Tuesday.

At a meeting in Washington, the National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that all 50 states lower the threshold to reduce the nation's drunk driving death toll, which has plateaued at about 10,000 deaths a year. A vote on the recommendation is expected to take place at 11:30 a.m.

Lowering the rate to 0.05 would save about 500 to 800 lives every year, NTSB staff members said, and is a crucial part of the board's attempt to eliminate drunken driving in the United States.

Under current law, a 180-pound male typically will hit the 0.08 threshold after drinking four drinks in an hour, according to an online blood alcohol calculator published by the University of Oklahoma.

That same person could reach the 0.05 threshold after two to three drinks in an hour, according to the calculator. (Many factors besides gender and weigh influence a person's blood alcohol content level. And many states outlaw lower levels of inebriation when behind the wheel.)

Rest of the story

so they say dropping from a .08 to a .05 will save approximately 500-800 lives per year, which it may, and if it did, GREAT... But I think I know why they're doing this... DUI's are BIG BUSINESS and they cost a boat load if you ever get one or 2, 3, 4 , 5, etc... you get the point.. dropping the BAC level down to .05 will, without a doubt, raise the DUI's in every city around the country which means extra revenue they are generating. The rule of thumb is that a first DUI can typically run you $10,000 (if not more) and a 2nd just goes up rapidly from there. A city can bring in a lot of income with DUI arrests and to see them considering dropping the limit I'm sure its to raise money, and not save lives...

And i find it interesting that distracted drivers (texting while driving) kill about the same amount of motorists as intoxicated drivers but the penalties dont even match up...

I ran a search, didnt see this story.. if already posted, please 86 this thread...

Cheers!
edit on 14-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I agree with you. Alcohol is big business and not just in the legal sectors. It's carcinogenic, makes people stupid, and addictive. If the governments truly cared about those deaths or the well being of the citizens' health conditions, Monsanto wouldn't own the current administration. Also, we'd have more accountability on those nuclear leaks from Hanford, those continuous oil spills, and fracking as well. Trust me, the government is not concerned about our well-being. It's all about how much currency they can remove from the pockets of the serfs to make sure they stay serfs.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Abstruse

Sadly that's true and I just shared one instance here, but if you really dive into the subject you will see that it's happening every where...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, the simple solution is to simply have a designated driver who isn't drinking folks. Really.

Usually, that's me, because it'd simply take too much to get me drunk anyhow, so not really much point. If there is an occasion where I'll be drinking, then we either stretch it out over the night, with me switching to non-alcoholic drinks as the night goes on, or it's somewhere we'll be staying that night (like home, or a friend's house, or a hotel and taking a cab to it, etc.).

It simply isn't worth it. One DUI could totally screw your life. Getting a cab or calling a friend is a MUCH better option. I've been that friend many a time, and I feel MUCH better picking them up (even if 2am) than I would with them trying to drive drunk.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I agree with lowering the level. I don't really care if it generates more revenue or not. People who don't drive responsibly (and that includes texting, talking on the phone or putting on make-up) should pay the price for that decision.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm all for zero tolerance on drunk driving, lost a good friend to a drunk driver, you get behind the wheel buzzed you should have the book thrown at you.

Driving is a privilege not a right and if you can't be responsible about it you don't deserve a license.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Here is another act of STUPIDITY. Go Figure.

Think about this. .. .. Those 10,000 deaths a year will probably not change. Why, Because those driving drunk are still going to drive drunk like they do today. It is NOT GOING TO MATTER. Most drivers convicted of DUI usually have more than one instance.

The difference. . . ?

The increased revenue. Why?. . . Because those that are actually ok with drinking a glass of wine or 2 with their dinner are going to be driving home from the restaurant and get stopped at a DUI checkpoint. That .08 which would have made them OK before is nearly cut in half and NOW they are a criminal.

This means HUGE Profits for Local, County, and State Agencies. To include Insurance Companies.

Court Costs
Fines
Reinstatement fees
Reeducation courses
High Risks Insurances
And anything else I missed.

There has to be a better way than turning a Responsible Individual into a Criminal.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I agree with lowering the level. I don't really care if it generates more revenue or not. People who don't drive responsibly (and that includes texting, talking on the phone or putting on make-up) should pay the price for that decision.

well, if that's the case why even allow any legal BAC? why not just make it 0.0 and if you're caught having any drinks and driving you're prosecuted??? if its about saving lives, like they say, shouldn't it be zero tolerance totally? Why even risk a drink or two?

The point im getting at is that its not about saving lives, its about generating revenue... So the Govt. can act like they care about saving 500-800 lives per year, but in reality its about the extra revenue they will be generating..

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

well, if that's the case why even allow any legal BAC? why not just make it 0.0 and if you're caught having any drinks and driving you're prosecuted??? if its about saving lives, like they say, shouldn't it be zero tolerance totally? Why even risk a drink or two?

The point im getting at is that its not about saving lives, its about generating revenue... So the Govt. can act like they care about saving 500-800 lives per year, but in reality its about the extra revenue they will be generating..

Hell I'm fine with the state making profits off the stupidity of drunk drivers, they should have their cars taken as well and auctioned off with the revenue going to victims of DUI, or even toward more DUI check points.

My friends used to joke in college about driving drunk, it wasn't until we lost one of our group of friends to a drunk driver that we took it seriously, she was 18 and walking home from a bar on campus, when a frat boy ran her over and kept driving, they found him asleep at the wheel on the lawn of his frat.

Eta she was the youngest in our group and had been hanging with us, we let her walk home from a club that wouldn't let her in cause of her age. That choice haunts us all, two of my friends became active members of MADD, and worked for on campus anti drunk driving campaigns

edit on 14-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Originally posted by jhn7537
well, if that's the case why even allow any legal BAC?

I would be fine with that. I don't think people should be allowed to drive when their judgment and/or reaction is impaired. Drinking impairs both.

And as I said, if that generates revenue, especially from people who refuse to be responsible, I'm good with that, too. Revenue is a good thing.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If their goal truly was to lessen the amount of people drinking and driving, then they should knock it back up to .10, but with a harsher punishment.

Speaking from experience, the Big Business part of it all, is nothing more than a Big Joke. I got out of one by talking to a lawyer twice on the phone, but never actually meeting him until my court date. On that day, I handed him $400 cash. He then went and talked to the judge privately.

When they came out, I talked to the judge for about 1 minute. He simply told me to not drive in that State for a year, but he couldn't take my license, because I lived on the other side of the river, in a different State. I then gave the clerk around $350, before walking out to my car, and driving home. That was the end of it. Money well spent, as far as I was concerned, but that didn't stop me.

Other than that↑time, all of the others did carry actual punishment, and cost even more in the long run, but it still took me about 4 or 5 times being busted(not including the few times during which I was a minor), before finally reaching the undeniable realization that I will never stop driving, which leaves the only possible solution as being to stop drinking entirely.

edit on 5/14/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yea that sucks and I'm sorry for your loss... Unfortunately, today, we all know someone who's been killed or has done killing behind the wheel of a car intoxicated... You think people would learn from others mistakes, but no they never do...

A $30 cab is much better than a $10000 DUI, ruining your record, and possibly killing yuorself or someone else

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The law should be " no alcohol at all" in your blood while driving, NONE...It's that simple.

Those caught intoxicated and driving should be issued special license plates on their cars marked with somekind of label to identify them. There are no excuses for driving after you've had a beer or two.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

The State Of Ohio does issue "Special" License Plates for anyone requesting to drive after a DUI conviction. The plates are yellow with red letter.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was hit by a drunk driver last year and the state I live in is a joke when it comes to sentencing.

During the court process I sat in on every appearance for the idiot who hit me. I didn't have to be there but I wanted to make sure he didn't get away with it. He almost killed me and I have permanent back problems that I can't get fixed because I don't have the insurance to do so. In short I'm miserable and being 35wks pregnant it really doesn't help!

Anyway... While sitting in court i also got to hear every other DUI case that came thru and I was SHOCKED at how these idiots got off with slaps on the wrist. Even habitual offenders got off with probation and a fine. I could not believe that they just let these people back on the streets to return to do the SAME thing again! One guy it was his FIFTH DUI and he got a suspended license, probation and community service! He should have had his license revoked the second time for years!

The kid and I say kid because he was 19!, well he got a year in jail for his offense and it was only because I was there. The lawyer said that when the victim shows up they tend to get a harsher sentence and I thought that was just insane! It shouldn't matter if the victim is there or not, it should be about the crime they committed! I was deeply bothered at how the lawyers acted and the judge for that matter. I had never been in court so it was a new experience to witness. The lawyers were horrible and all were unprepared and didn't know what the heck was going on. For a moment it made me want to be a lawyer!

I missed work each time I went and I didn't get paid either, so I had lost wages as well just to make sure this kid got what he deserved.

IMO if you get a DUI you should lose your license for a year or two and if you injure someone in a DUI 5yrs. I know that may sound harsh to some people but as a victim of DUI and someone who knows people who died as a result of a DUI accident I take this topic seriously. You may get away with a DUI the first time but what about the second time? You could kill someone, or yourself. Is it really worth it to drive while drunk? I also can't STAND people who say "Im a good drunk driver." There is NO such thing and you sound like an idiot for thinking that. Is a cab really not worth it vs the life of someone you could take just to drive yourself home? I have told all my friends to call me no matter the time if they need a ride. I would much rather take them home and be woken up for a ride than to be woken up because they killed themselves or another in an accident. It is not worth it.

I worked in a bar for years and was teased relentlessly for leaving my car there for days at a time and taking a cab. I didn't care if I hadn't drank in hours, I still smelled of it and wasn't chancing it. I took a cab, it was 20 bucks and worth it. During that time many who mocked me were pulled over for DUI's and two lost their businesses as a result! So who do you think is laughing now?!

Don't drive drunk, it's not worth it!! Just don't do it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by Nuke2013

The State Of Ohio does issue "Special" License Plates for anyone requesting to drive after a DUI conviction. The plates are yellow with red letter.

Good they should be.... I'm surprised how easy it is for people to get hardship licenses after multiple DUI's, honestly scary...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I know of 3 individuals with those plates. Also, they are Habitual offenders. So, they have "Breathalyzers" in their vehicles. They have to blow a clean sample for their cars to start.

But that doesn't mean that they can't have someone else blow into it for them to get the car to start.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

well, if that's the case why even allow any legal BAC?

You have to have some defined number, just to allow for the variance of some food items (or even medicines) that may contain ethanol.

Oh, and here's a tip. That whole touch your nose thing? It has nothing to do with touching your nose. The officer is looking for an involuntary eye twitch that will be a tell-tale sign you are intoxicated. A cop buddy of mine pointed it out (as he checks friends out before driving home after having drinks that evening). He never really has to check me though, as I just don't drink more than one early in the night.

But that doesn't mean that they can't have someone else blow into it for them to get the car to start.

If that person blows clean, then why on Earth would they let the drunk guy drive?
edit on 14-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That is also why they have you follow the light with your eyes because your left eye will Vibrate.
Which is a Very Telling sign.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

You got it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join