It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your definition of life biased? Are you a hypocrite?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

That's all I have been trying to say lol....... Some people want to call life this, some people want define life as that.... Where do you draw the line and who is right? This is where being a hypocrite comes in to play, that's why I've steered clear of the subject matter because I don't PRETEND to know the answers on a very complex subject....

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Oh I understood exactly where you were coming from J~ That's why I felt prompted to give a friendly hand by posting that video. I hope it helped spark a laugh in some threaders as well~

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
That's all I have been trying to say lol....... Some people want to call life this, some people want define life as that.... Where do you draw the line and who is right? This is where being a hypocrite comes in to play, that's why I've steered clear of the subject matter because I don't PRETEND to know the answers on a very complex subject....

Exactly. That is why the opening post was "set-up" very specifically. It's intended as an introspection, not an answer to the great abortion debate.

I expect the intended audience to perceive the opening post as such:
"Yes, I believe a single celled organism is proof of extra-terrestrial life."
"I'm pro-choice and believe it's okay to abort a fetus in the first trimester."
"Oh."

In other words, can you believe "A single cell is extraterrestrial 'life', but a 4-week-old fetus is not" in the same breath?

Just some food for thought and a different angle on an ancient debate.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Imo,at fertilisation,when the gametes fuse to form a zygote.Thats when a human life starts,that is my belief.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

The argument you make is about a COMPLETE life form and an INCOMPLETE life form. Would you mind if they zapped a single cell organism that was not yet a functional form? A better comparison I think. A chicken egg could become a life form, but is it when we fry it alive?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Some people want to call life this, some people want define life as that.... Where do you draw the line and who is right?

IMHO this is where people tye themselves in knots.
Trying to find a "line".

Life isnt black and white. Its a grey scale.
A bacterium has some life. A cockroach has more life. A human has more life than that.
Its a continuum.

Religious people wont accept that, of course.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Life, to me, is viable and not completely dependent on the survival system of a host organism. If that describes a single-cell organism, then it's alive. If that doesn't describe an ultra-sophisticated gestating work-in-progress, then it just plain doesn't.

When a society draws a line of demarcation, then that's the line it's drawn. If you don't like it, then do the hard work to convince a majority of people in that society to draw it where you think it should be drawn. Or leave and join a society that agrees with you.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

To the 1st part of your post i was skeptical and thought, "Why did they send it to Wales?"
No offence to Welsh people, that was my honest 1st thought.

I've always naively/ignorantly thought that you shouldn't abort when the foetus is 'baby looking' - stupid i know.

But as soon as i saw the words "when the heart beats" I was like "yes! That is when it's too late!!"

You've completely changed how i look at abortion, and this post made me think deeply. Thank you.

S&F

Edit: As for the zapping i just thought "typical humans"

edit on 14/5/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

1. Did you exclaim: "Wow! They found extraterrestrial life!"?

Well... I wasnt all that excited but sort of.

2. What do you tell your friends? Do you quote the article title to sum up? Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life!

Again not that excited but yes.

3. What would your reaction be?

Cool. A martian single cell

4. Would it satisfy your need to prove that extraterrestrial life exists?

Yes... well "satisfy" thats the key word. Its a middle term. Not bad, not good, it satisfies.

5. Would you believe that we have won the "battle" to prove the existence of aliens?

My definition of aliens require an intelligent sentient being and to be honest anything below an equivalent to the neanderthal would be highly disappointing.

6. How would you feel if the Mars Rover took a few photographs of the single celled organism, and then killed it - zapped it with a laser? Would you be upset?

No. If theres one, theres more.

If you have been paying close attention, you would have noticed that I just lied and that I set a trap to test your moral values. The image above is obviously not a single celled organism. It is a human embryo at 3 weeks.
Now, keeping in the back of your mind what you consider "extraterrestrial life"...

Arent we smart and tricky huh... well doesnt make a difference to me to be honest.

7. How do you feel about abortion?

I dont really care that much.

8 At what stage of a baby's development do you believe "life" begins (Using the list below)?

A baby? At birth. Before that is a fetus, not a baby.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
So much data is thrown at us, and misinformation, and worse yet, social peer pressure to believe certain things that finding the truth seems to be often not as relevant as fitting in.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Indeed.
Yes, life from outside the planet, even a single-cell organism is a fairly impressive thing. In my humble opinion, it's foolish to think we are alone in the vastness of the cosmos. Even more so, in my opinion, it is foolish to believe we are the apex of life in the universe as well. But, regardless. Yes, stellar materials showing life outside our biosphere is indeed a win.

As far as as the rest, I would no sooner like to be squashed by someone looking at me like a germ, then I am sure the small single-cell organisms like it if I squash them.

I find all life special, and worth trying to work with. For if I cannot see all life as worth it, then what is it I see if I look at my own life, a waste of materials and resources?

In reality, no, we are not special, but we are special, due to the nature of our soul/consciousness. Yes, I realize this creates an oxy-moron, but you cannot draw a solid straight line here, as none can exist without setting hard boundaries, and since we as a species cannot agree on simple, basic things, how can we be expected to agree on complex things like "What constitutes life?".

Considering how "higher up people", CEOs, government leaders, Dictators, etc. treat us as cattle, and the rest of the people are polarized due to religion.. Some things will never be met with a majority of consensus.

So, personally, I would no sooner like to see another baby (fetus for those who insist on being politically correct ./gag) aborted, then I would like to see a grass spider squashed, or another human needlessly killed in occupations and wars.

Either all "life" is sacred, or it's not. Is life scared? I would tend to think so. But we have no more right then any other "life" to live. But that is my view, and your welcome to have your own views.. After all, is that what views, as to which is right, is not my place to decide.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Oh, and yes, I am a total hypocrite. I just wanted to make sure I got that straight and out there for future reference.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

most people in here need others to believe with them so they can feel confortable with themselves. There arent a lot that just can believe or know something without needing thousands of others to share that belief. Pretty pathetic uh?

I reached the mindset of absolute certainty of alien life on others planets, even those we claim cannot support any life. Im sure macro organisms (bigger than single-cell and bacteria) do exist everywhere and i have no problem with that. What im unsure of is the apparence of these creatures and density, texture, etc. But since evolution aint a fact and carbon based life is only found on earth, there is a high probability that alien life especially intelligent to the point of making things and influencing a whole ecosphere is not limited to the humanoid form but could quite possibly take any forms. The fact that this universe is infinite and that it is but a small part of an infinity of others universes, physical or not, most probably not, make the whole thing and the whole experience of life something beyond transcendence.

Now i have to find a way to travel to these planets and then these universes while keeping my memory and sanity...

Uh seems i m offtopic... feel free to report me if you wish lol

The abortion/non abortion debate leaves me indifferent. The hell do i care if some people decide to have an abortion without giving a damn or grieving their whole life. Life is taken everywhere from bacteria to insects to animals (humans included). Why should i be upset or sad because some take away their babies? The real hypocrisy is to pretend that it is a bigger deal than what happens each moment on the whole planet whatever the context.
edit on 15-5-2013 by _damon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If we find an organism in space we will not have responsibility over his or her, or her If it is a one cell organism and as to if the mother rejected the form.

This came up as an issue in Roe vs. Wade as mothers whose children ended up on death row, all were children who were rejected by their mothers.

As much as those who argue against abortion may scream, not enough of them do the same thing when it is time to press the button.

Gemwolf could you press the button with a 91% chance this person was effectively rejected by his or her mother since before birth and she still had and raised the child but not because she wanted to????

What about 51%??

It is possible that in these States of America, with the death penalty; they are hiring in relation to the job of Executioner???

Doctors often refuse to do that you know.

Could you press the button Gemwolf

What if as an executioner you only kill 1 in 10 because of that??

Are you a hypocrite?

Any thoughts?
edit on 16-5-2013 by Kashai because: Added and modifed content

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join