It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not an ancient hymn but it always makes me cry...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The lyrics and music really touch you. We sang Henry Alford's hymn at Mass last Sunday. Please, post your favorite hymns.

www.youtube.com...

We Walk By Faith
by Henry Alford 1810-1871

1. We walk by faith, an not by sight:
No gracious words we hear
of him who spoke as none e’er spoke,
but we believe him near.

2. We may not touch his hands and side,
nor follow where he trod;
yet in his promise we rejoice,
and cry, “My Lord and God!”

3. Help then, O Lord, our unbelief,
and may our faith abound;
to call on you when you are near.
and seek where you are found:

4. That when our life of faith is done
in realms of clearer light
We may behold you as you are
in full and endless sight.

5. We walk by faith, and not by sight:
No gracious words we hear
of him who spoke as none e’er spoke,
but we believe him near.

Henry Alford, Anglican English theologian, wrote many hymns.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

This is the intent of all music, to get a certain response.
Now what is real evil when folks combine good old music and a bad agenda, such as religions or nationalism, or any ism.
Why do you think everybody made USA! USA! USA! songs after 911, they sold BIG!
They also pushed someones agenda.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by colbe

Now what is real evil when folks combine good old music and a bad agenda, such as religions or nationalism, or any ism.

g146541,

There is bad music, evil. A lot of dead rockers in history and famous rappers to follow have destroyed
the innocence of children.

We Walk by Faith is not evil, it is about Christ.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

reply to post by colbe

g146541,
There is bad music, evil. A lot of dead rockers in history and famous rappers to follow have destroyed the innocence of children.

a lot of children have also had their innocence destroyed IN THE NAME OF CHRIST!
Look up the Holy Roman Catholic Church...they do some jamming to songs there every now and again or so I am told...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

reply to post by colbe

g146541,
There is bad music, evil. A lot of dead rockers in history and famous rappers to follow have destroyed the innocence of children.

a lot of children have also had their innocence destroyed IN THE NAME OF CHRIST!
Look up the Holy Roman Catholic Church...they do some jamming to songs there every now and again or so I am told...

Your comment is vile, how does that make you better? Christ instituted the ministerial priesthood. You do not believe but the evil one does. The thread is suppose to be faith building, people can share their favorite hymns.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Give up Bro, you cannot convince the "onward christian soldiers" that they are not fighting for good.
They just don't understand until they are securely mired in the unholiness of religions and the things they do.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Give up Bro, you cannot convince the "onward christian soldiers" that they are not fighting for good.
They just don't understand until they are securely mired in the unholiness of religions and the things they do.

Jesus established one faith, He is the way the Truth and the Life. He wants you to become Catholic g1 and owlbear.

Our Lord is holy. I can prove what I just said with one verse.

God bless you,

John 17:11
And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Jesus established one faith, He is the way the Truth and the Life. He wants you to become Catholic g1 and owlbear.

Our Lord is holy. I can prove what I just said with one verse.

God bless you,

John 17:11
And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are.

Here is a song, modern too but I love it. It is a song about Mary. Watch the Youtube. Fantastic older
photos, it is the Passion of the Catholic Church. You see in these pics. God is going to show everyone
on the earth, He wants them to become Catholic. Remember....

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Once I converted to Catholicism, I think I'm not supposed to like it so much anymore, but my favourite hymn has always been "Amazing Grace".

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

The backstory on the hymn is pretty cool, too.

edit on 14-5-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hello adjenson and colbie two people who's fruit is shown in the commitment they have in the father and I do enjoy reading your posts.

One of my favorite songs and one I like to play and sing.

Go Rest High On That Mountain

I know your life
On earth was troubled
And only you could know the pain
You weren't afraid to face the devil
You were no stranger to the rain

Go rest high on that mountain
‘Cause, Son, your work on earth is done
Go to Heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
And gathered round your grave to grieve
Wish I could see the angels’ faces
When they hear your sweet voice sing

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Instrumental

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Tag: Go to Heaven a shoutin'

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

i like your honesty in the first sentence of your signature.
too bad you dont mean it.

in her younger days some of the
leaders of the church made mistakes,
just like you in your younger days.

tell me a couple of mistakes you made that hurt someone else will you.
so i can keep reminding you of them when you get to be old.

the victims of the crusades and inquisition are all dead, for a few centuries at least.

why dont you give it up bro?

why dont you do some of your own thinking instead of blabbing the bandwagon babble about what was wrong centuries ago.

the catholic church donates lots of time talent and treasure to help the less fortunate

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
reply to post by colbe

Once I converted to Catholicism, I think I'm not supposed to like it so much anymore, but my favourite hymn has always been "Amazing Grace".

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

The backstory on the hymn is pretty cool, too.

edit on 14-5-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

adjensen, hello,

I knew John Newton, the composer of "Amazing Grace" suffered because of slavery but that is all. I like his conversion story. From the link you shared:

..."Finally at his own request he was exchanged into service on a slave ship, which took him to the coast of Sierra Leone. He then became the servant of a slave trader and was brutally abused. Early in 1748 he was rescued by a sea captain who had known John's father. John Newton ultimately became captain of his own ship, one which plied the slave trade.

Although he had had some early religious instruction from his mother, who had died when he was a child, he had long since given up any religious convictions. However, on a homeward voyage, while he was attempting to steer the ship through a violent storm, he experienced what he was to refer to later as his “great deliverance.” He recorded in his journal that when all seemed lost and the ship would surely sink, he exclaimed, “Lord, have mercy upon us.” Later in his cabin he reflected on what he had said and began to believe that God had addressed him through the storm and that grace had begun to work for him.

For the rest of his life he observed the anniversary of May 10, 1748 as the day of his conversion, a day of humiliation in which he subjected his will to a higher power. “Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ’tis grace has bro’t me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.” He continued in the slave trade for a time after his conversion; however, he saw to it that the slaves under his care were treated humanely."...

And it says in his bio, he became Methodist. Methodists have an understanding about Catholicism, similar
traditions. There will be many converting at the Great Warning, no problem.

Thanks for sharing a favorite hymn,

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

And it says in his bio, he became Methodist. Methodists have an understanding about Catholicism, similar
traditions.

I was a Methodist before converting, and yes, they had no issue with making the Sign of the Cross, or praying the Rosary, though they had a firm Protestant view of most other things. They were, essentially, the "social justice" arm of the Church of England, which was essentially the Catholic Church in England, so the similarities are understandable.

You're very welcome. It was cited, by an instructor in RCIA, as being a nice hymn, but the message of "saved by grace, and grace alone" being non-Catholic, to which I say pfft, it's still a nice hymn

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarriorOfLight96
Hello adjenson and colbie two people who's fruit is shown in the commitment they have in the father and I do enjoy reading your posts.

One of my favorite songs and one I like to play and sing.

Go Rest High On That Mountain

I know your life
On earth was troubled
And only you could know the pain
You weren't afraid to face the devil
You were no stranger to the rain

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
And gathered round your grave to grieve
Wish I could see the angels’ faces
When they hear your sweet voice sing

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Instrumental

Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Tag: Go to Heaven a shoutin'

Hi WarriorOfLIght,

I had to go walk our dog, it is warm here this evening.

Thanks for your kind words, sometimes I feel like ending posting threads so your words mean a lot to me. I shall look up Go Rest High to hear the melody. I tell you, some hymns, make you cry for joy.

love,

colbe

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

traditions.

I was a Methodist before converting, and yes, they had no issue with making the Sign of the Cross, or praying the Rosary, though they had a firm Protestant view of most other things. They were, essentially, the "social justice" arm of the Church of England, which was essentially the Catholic Church in England, so the similarities are understandable.

You're very welcome. It was cited, by an instructor in RCIA, as being a nice hymn, but the message of "saved by grace, and grace alone" being non-Catholic, to which I say pfft, it's still a nice hymn

adjensen,

Of course, a Methodist. We have the dearest friends who are Methodist. They were neighbors. MO, they prayed for me and that helped to bring about my reversion to the faith. My own siblings, parents gone, the times, none of us were praying.

Last time I saw the husband, I talked a little bit about the Eucharist to him. He was very respectful and I think he understood but he wouldn't come further. What a grace or graces you received adjensen.

I repeat, I know, you have a way of expressing yourself in writing. Example, talking to True Jew.

love,

colbe

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfLight96

Here is is Vince Gill singing Go rest high on that mountain. Wow, almost 5 million views. I listened/watched
Kelly Clarkson's rendition of the song too.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Ave Maria. There are 25 pages of different artists singing Ave Maria on Youtube.

I love Cacinni's Ave Maria sung by Inessa Galante. 170,000 views.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
This isn't a hymn, but it is my favorite Christian song. The first time I ever heard this song was at a church here in the town I live in. Randy Stonehill was a guest one evening at this church. He performed only with his guitar and some backing tracks he pre-recorded (and some which he recorded on the spot using his voice and his guitar).

My father passed away on March 2, 2004, and my grandmother (my dad's mom) passed away only 8 days later. My grandfather (my dad's father) passed away on September 15, 2006. My stepdad passed away on February 13, 2007 and a best friend of mine passed away that same year. The point is, when I saw Randy Stonehill live that night, all of these losses were still fairly fresh. He played this song named Angel's Wings.

I liked the song from the beginning, but when he sang the second verse I totally lost it. I cried and cried right in the middle of that church. I still have to bite my lip every time I hear this song (though it hardly ever works!)

Anyway, the song is great from start to finish. It has a message of hope, and it can be a nice source of encouragement during rough times.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-5-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join