It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nyc, Citibike, and bridge tolls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I was thinking about Citibike today, Citibike is a bike rental that Mayor Bloomberg and his minnions put around nyc. Many people are complaining about the program, some people love it.
I was looking at the map of where the bike stations are all located and they are only located from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Not upper Manhattan just more midtown and lower. Not most of Brooklyn but concentrated near the bridges.There are hundreds of these bike stations. They could have spread them around the 5 Boros but they did not.

There has been rumors of putting tolls on the bridges in Nyc. Does anyone think this Citibike plan could be a chess move to bring on the tolls? The subways cost 2.50 one way and are crowded as is.. For a hundred bucks a year I get unlimited use of a bike for 45 minutes at a time. If the tolls went on the bridges first, Subways might not be able to handle the extra people who would rather save money and take the train than pay a toll.

Also, I do not own an automobile but I see for myself how they took away valuable parking space for the racks.

Anyone have any thoughts?

edit on 13-5-2013 by Prisoner60863 because: adding image

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Having bicycles for rent is nothing new but it can generate revenue for the city. Here in China they have the same program and have had for quite some time now. The cities push for people to buy cars but not everyone can afford a car. That leaves either buying a motorcycle/scooter, taking the bus or taxi and walking. Where I live the tag for a motorcycle or scooter is around $3000 USD while for a car it's $450 USD obvious motive here. Parking for cars is very limited and traffic congestion due to cars is quite unpleasant. You can get six motorcycles in the space of one car and dropping the price of the tag back to normal, $375 USD, they would make a killing. They are not the sharpest tools in the shed economically.

The bicycle program was aimed at those that couldn't buy a car or pay for the motorcycle tag and it has worked well. Renting a bike is cheaper than taking the bus and putting up with the high cost of a taxi. So in a nut shell, it's not a bad idea but the 45 min. part is a little short on time.

Just saw your picture of the racks, not very smart. At least here they are on the sidewalks facing inward still providing cars with parking instead of blocking it. There is plenty of room for people to walk and they have added bicycle paths.
edit on 5/13/2013 by pstrron because: add content

edit on 5/13/2013 by pstrron because: spelling

join