It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Saving Things before Wiping off my Hard drive.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It's time to clean off my hard drive again. I want to save all my pictures, favorites, music, and a couple of other programs that wasn't on here when I had it done last time.

Thing is, I had I.E. the last time I save everything, but now I have Google. How the heck does this program work?!

Do I have to go through and save each file in my favoirtes individually, or is there a way to make a clean swipe and save it all at once? I know there has to be a way; I'm just not use to google.

Also, it says there isn't enough space on the CD for all my pictures. How do I cut them in half to save to CD?

Thanks for the help, my computer savvy helpers.

edit on 5/13/2013 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Like Internet Explorer Google (Chrome I assume) probably has a folder that it saves your favorites to.
Do a search for the word favorites and look for an address that contains the word Google or chrome. That is where your favorites will be. Just copy that folders contents. After your install open the location where you saved your favorites to and look for the new folder. Open it, then drop your favorites into there.

As far as saving your pictures and other files. If you can burn your stuff to a DVD you can gain over 4 gig of space. If that is not big enough you can put the difference on another DVD.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Hi. Do you mean you want to do a fresh install or System Restore? And save all you files/favourites beforehand. Also, are you talking about a PC HDD or laptop/netbook/notebook HDD?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I.e. and google are not operating systems, unless you mean windows and you went to a chrome book?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Get a memory stick. Save your pics and favorites to the memory stick. Wipe your drive. Reinstall the things from the memory stick.

Unless Im missing something, it really is that simple.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny76
reply to post by sled735

Hi. Do you mean you want to do a fresh install or System Restore? And save all you files/favourites beforehand. Also, are you talking about a PC HDD or laptop/netbook/notebook HDD?

Yes, I'm going to wipe out the entire hard drive, then reinstall the programs. I have so many glitches lately, this is what it's going to take. I keep getting "timed out" when I've only been on for a few seconds. Time to start over.
Yes, I want to save all my favorite files, and pics before wiping off the hard drive.
It is a desk top PC

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Get a memory stick. Save your pics and favorites to the memory stick. Wipe your drive. Reinstall the things from the memory stick.

Unless Im missing something, it really is that simple.

Sigh.... that means I have to run to Walmart. I think this would be the simplest thing, too.

Oh the joy of having to go to Walmart!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Time out. .. ?

You mean the internet times out?

That has nothing to do with the hard drive

That is a different issue altogether.

edit on 13-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If you've got a gmail account just sync your bookmarks with it. After re-install just sync again and all your bookmarks will return.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I.e. and google are not operating systems, unless you mean windows and you went to a chrome book?

No, I'm talking about my ISP. I know how to navigate around in IE, but I don't know where things are on Google Chrome. I was looking for a file where everything is stored in one place without having to save each link separate from my favorites.

Yes, I know Windows is the operating system.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by sled735

Time out. .. ?

You mean the internet times out?

That has nothing to do with the hard drive

That is a different issue altogether.

Oh no! Don't tell me that! What's wrong now?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatcoat
If you've got a gmail account just sync your bookmarks with it. After re-install just sync again and all your bookmarks will return.

Thank you! Will do!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

It could be a number of things including those things that have absolutely nothing to do with Your computer.

What are you doing that causes a time out?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatcoat

Oh, uhmmm.....question... how do I do that?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

You probably need to make a complete backup of everything so you can go through the headache of browsing for your favourites, pictures etc later on. You could use a memory stick, or use and external HDD they are not that expensive now. Copy your entire OS or as much as you can to the external HDD. After a successful copy you can do whatever you want with your existing HDD and then browse and copy back your stuff later. It's what i do in the same situation. Hope this helps

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by sled735

It could be a number of things including those things that have absolutely nothing to do with Your computer.

What are you doing that causes a time out?

I'm usually just on ATS, and when I click off a certain thread, or write a reply, it will go to a timeout screen. But I know I'm not on here long enough to make it time out. Usually only a couple of minutes before moving on.
It does it on other sites, as well.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Okay. I'm off to Wally World, or Office Max, it they are still open. Thanks everyone.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

If you've got a google e-mail a/c (if not, just open one..it's free) go to the small icon in the top right corner of chrome, it has three horizontal bars, open the menu and choose sync with gmail.....or something similar..sorry, I'm not on my computer at the moment.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

That has nothing to do with your computer.

Chances are that when you re-install everything it is still going to do it.

It looks like you have plenty of help.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

If you have a google/gmail account, go to Drive.Google.com and save everything you want to the google drive, and you can download it all back onto your computer later.

Google Drive

Also, an excellent free program that could resolve your issues is Glary Utilities. It will clean up everything that is causing your pc to "time out" and it can do so much more like manage your start up programs, etc.

link

Seriously consider the Glary Utilities program, it is free, extensive, and will practically factory restore your computer from its sad state, with out needing to delete everything and start over

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join