It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With free money, why would anyone work in America?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with EBT/Food Stamps, if it's used what it's meant to be used for, legit food items.

However it does chap my britches when i see signs saying "EBT OK" posted outside liquor stores. I can drive down the main drag of the nearest town to me and see those signs posted outside a half dozen liquor stores.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
No one is living it up on Food stamps. Most are children, elderly or disabled living on less than $1,000 per month.

Here are some facts - not some comment from someone who saw a nice car in a bad area once:

feedingamerica.org... alities.aspx

76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits.

The average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744; net monthly income of $338 after the standard deduction and, for certain households, deductions for child care, medical expenses, and shelter costs; and countable resources of $331, such as a bank account.

90% of SNAP benefits are redeemed by the third week of the month, and 58% of food bank clients currently receiving SNAP benefits turn to food banks for assistance at least 6 months out of the year.

The average monthly SNAP benefit per person is $133.85, or less than $1.50 per person, per meal.

Sure there are a minority who abuse the system but look at all the small/large business tax cheats.

100% Charity will not work. Prior to food stamps hundreds of thousands of people died from hunger.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

However it does chap my britches when i see signs saying "EBT OK" posted outside liquor stores. I can drive down the main drag of the nearest town to me and see those signs posted outside a half dozen liquor stores.

There is a reason for why they take food stamps. Though food stamps CAN NOT be used for liquor many times liquor stores are the only store in walkable distance in poor areas. They carry a small selection of over priced staples such as milk and bread. Most people on food stamps don't have cars and the nearest grocery store is often miles away.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Here are some facts - not some comment from someone who saw a nice car in a bad area once:

You need to take a ride to east New York in Brooklyn, then you'll see for yourself. Or even better try volunteering with EMS in that area and you will have a totally diffident opinion. At least 50% of apartments and houses you will be going to have 60 inch TV and a mattress on the floor. And a lot more than one nice car parked on every block.

I don't know how much money they get from the government but I have seen many young people who can very easily work for a living hang out on the corner all day, buy beer with food stamps, drive a Cadillac and live in a $hit hole.

I also seen many people who really need assistance but don't qualify because they make $50 more than required.
The system is set up in a way that most of the time honest people are unable to use it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
Damn those people, how dare they ask for food?! *shakes fist*

Since I have everything I need, I'm going to assume everyone else does also, isn't that how it works?

In all seriousness though, our social assistance programs are far weaker than those in other countries that are now considered better places to live in than here. The only difference is that they think their fellow neighbor deserves to live and sustain their life on food, whereas we seem to have more folks who think being an American means nothing more than calling yourself a patriot, even when you hate your own fellow citizens.

Are there those who milk the system - undoubtedly! Are there those who bankrupted us all and ruined our country and took off with all the money we would ever need? Also yes. But we should focus on the poor, right? They're the ones who got us here.

Americans are the most unpatriotic crowd of patriots I've ever come across in my travels.

Kharron, thank you for your support! I myself have four children, which I have mothered alone! I have chosen not to work because it would take me away from my kids for several years. But, I am so appreciative that you would foot the bill for me. If only women who support other children in other nations could have the same support it would be euphoric !

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by CitizenJack

While I agree with everything you said, I truly believe that those who would cheat the system are stealing from us all and should be prosecuted for doing so without delay.

On the other hand, I don't see how the EBT could be the cause of the fraud you referred to and I don't believe that we should punish those who honestly need the help because of the bad deeds of those who would cheat the system.

IMO, the only viable answer to the problem is strict enforcement of the rules and the funding to carry out said enforcement. Secondly, punishment must include jail time, especially for those who are defrauding the system on a mass scale or in the name of others.

I truly believe that in the long run, we'll save money over what's being lost now to cheats while preserving the safety net for those who are down on their luck.

For #ing crying out loud, why do all of you run to the enforcers when there is a problem of some sorts, none of you are sovereign individuals anymore, all of you clinging to a person who doesn't even give two #s about you.

I mean, the military takes trillions of tax payers money and no one is bitching, but some poor fellow who was screwed by the system you support needs some help, well, his a criminal and should be dealt with accordingly?

# this website and most of it's user's, what happened to individual thought and freedom? "Go to the police, report this and that to the police", you should all be very observant of who is your god and lord now.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oh - look! Ronnie Raygun's welfare queen!

Never mind the literal TRILLIONS in virtually interest free loans given to bankers and international corporations while American students pay north of 6% on their student loans.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

I'm not sure what you do for a living but I am pretty sure it wouldn't exist if 47% of all grocery stores closed up shop tomorrow, along with 47% of the food distribution warehouses, teamsters, lift operators, and so on.

Recognize the Food Stamp program for what it actually is: a government subsidy (bail out?) at street level, designed to stimulate the demand side of the supply and demand equation. Without it, every single business, job and vocation in America would take a massive hit - if they still existed at all.

I don't know about you, but 3% out of my check in taxes is worth the flip-side of not having a job at all if there were less demand for my services because there was less demand for everything else because um, hungry people who otherwise couldn't buy food.

This is elementary stuff, folks.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Not everyone on assistance is this stupid. I can't stand people like this who abuse the system and that is EXACTLY what they do! They are the lazy ones who would rather sit on their rear and collect government assistance rather than go out and get a job or better their life. Where I live assistance fraud is insane. I'm sorry but if you can buy an iPhone or fancy smart phone and drive a brand new car with 18inch rims you do NOT need assistance, you need a reality check and how to spend your money the right way.

I am on EBT assistance while pregnant since I am not working and actually lost my job because I was pregnant and had a sexist twat for a boss. I get 169 a month in food assistance. I get no cash assistance and cash assistance is only handed out to those who "qualify" and i use that term loosely because it is very easy to lie on these forms they require for assistance. The amount I get isn't a lot but I make it work. My income was what bought groceries and stuff for the house so not having it has hurt. I'm 34 and have never needed or been on assistance in my life but this time I chose to get some help. I get WIC and Medicaid as well and I am grateful to both programs. I've paid my taxes over the years and I"m not a leech on society or the system. I would much rather be working but nobody is going to hire you while pregnant knowing that you have to leave and then you aren't sure when you can come back. I've applied to places but they aren't going to out right say no because you are pregnant. Why hire a pregnant person when they can hire someone who isnt since almost every job opening here has more than one person applying!

People like in this video make me sick and are the reason many think those on assistance are lazy. That is just flat out not true. When I was little my mom got assistance and it was a lot harder to get it then and they actually verified what was on your application now it's all done online and you can say whatever you want. You fill out a form that your boss has to sign and you can probably have anyone sign it because they don't verify it!! Imo the system gets abused more so now because they allow it. I was surprised at how easy it was to apply and get assistance. I had never done it before but knew how it went when my mom was on it as a kid.

When I have my child and start working I will ask to not have anymore assistance but right now that 169 bucks helps and I make it seem like its double with shopping sale items only. Sometimes a little help goes a long way, it's just those who abuse it that ruin it for those who see it as a blessing rather than free govt cheese.

I also do NOT think the other places listed should get govt assistance like Puerto Rico. They aren't part of the United States and i don't care if they are a territory, unless you are a damn citizen or live in the actual United States you should NOT get assistance. They should get it from their own darn govt.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I rather my country waste funds on food programs than on foreign aid or wars.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
From my experience it depends on the area you get your ebt. Most places give out legit ebt cards to those that deserve it. However I went to the one in panorama city Los Angeles one time when I was living in my car for a while. It was obvious at that one place I went to that there was a lot of scams and free loaders going in and getting ebt cards. Some of them rolled in in luxury cars. Others just seemed to get whatever they want because they were friends of someone who worked there. It sure seemed like the place was biased too. Basically I left empty handed and since I wasn't a white guy on meth I was denied. Sorta felt racist. They didn't even take the time to look at my papers. But the dude next to me comes in and gets his e t. Then leaves and gets in a fancy car n drives off. So yeah in some places if you are the right minority its basically free money for semi to illegitimate claims.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

That's the funniest thing I read in this thread yet. Take away the food stamps and we all going to loose our jobs. Lol.

Let me ask all you people posting how much you like the government taking your money and giving it to whoever they want... When was the last time you actually gave a dollar to a homeless person sitting on a sidewalk? Or volunteer to do anything for the community?

Just because the government spends trillions on god knows what without our consent doesn't mean that it's okay to talks 3% out of a paycheck from a guy trying to survive working minimum wage jobs and give it to a guy that can do the same thing but chooses not to.

I don't want the government spending tax payers money on war, foreign aid or food steps. How about people decide for themselves who and what they want to donate money to and for? How about we teach our kids to be responsible for their actions? And help the neighbor who lost his job or got sick and unable to provide for himself?

Oh that's just crazy talk, never mind...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

What is your argument? That Food Stamps are NOT a subsidy designed to stimulate demand for goods and services at street level?

Look - this is all rudimentary economic theory. The grocery stores, distribution centers, truckers, farmers, inspectors, et al - get paid. Their pay is used to cover their mortgage, rent, fuel, utilities, food, clothing, medical bills and entertainment expenses.Those dollars in turn circulate into the pockets of others, who meet their obligations. Eventually, everyone gets paid - including garage door installers* like you.

Less cash in circulation at street level, means less money in your pocket too. If there isn't any demand, no one hires, prices drop, and companies go out of business until equilibrium is reached.

You can giggle about it if you like, but that's how the actual economy works.

*or whatever it is you do.

And to answer your completely off topic question: My family volunteers time at a local Salvation Army kitchen several times a year, including Thanksgiving, and I'd rather give money to a junkie on the street than give a single dime to a fat cat who will drop it in a foreign account and pay no taxes on it.

Because even the black market cash economy benefits the cycle of debits and payments described above, whereas investments in off-shore accounts contribute nothing to my local economy.
edit on 14-5-2013 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Shame work doesn't pay like it used to. No fun living on "benefits"

Cant believe that people actually think those claiming off the state are living lives of luxury purely from that money, its obvious that if they're living quite nicely they have other things going on.

Just because they're isnt well paid jobs available doesn't mean people will happily live poor, they will find a way to make money, that's what people of all classes do.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hey OP, quit your job and be like them(oh yeah don't forget to sell ur stuff first), lets see how you enjoy "free, luxurious life, filled with 50inch LCD and Escalades"... oh yeah and don't forget to lock your door properly because you might lose you virginity.

I really want these tools to go and live that life if they think its so easy and carefree. All they do is sit in chair and talk about how easy a jobless poor person's life is.

From what i seen, these assistant programs are looked down upon, if you are on it, you are to be shamed. Many people i heard about got out of it as soon as they got a job, you know why? because having a job gives you more unlike what your political party told you.

Of ocurse there going to be bad apples that abuse the system, get under the table pay and still enjoying benefits, but to paint the entire population that needs the assistance to survive is just bad karma.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Hey OP, quit your job and be like them(oh yeah don't forget to sell ur stuff first), lets see how you enjoy "free, luxurious life, filled with 50inch LCD and Escalades"... oh yeah and don't forget to lock your door properly because you might lose you virginity.

I don't see your point here... Are you saying that people on government assistance don't enjoy 50 inch LCD and Escalades? If yes then why did they buy them? Or are you saying that I just made it up and nobody in housing projects have any 50 inch TV's and expensive car?

I really want these tools to go and live that life if they think its so easy and carefree. All they do is sit in chair and talk about how easy a jobless poor person's life is.

Look, It's a fact that many people live in the project and receive government benefits because they are physically unable to work. It's also a fact that many people are trying very hard to get on their feet and eventually do get out of the system. But the majority of people live like this all their lives and have no desire to change anything. Some work under the table, and some abuse the system like the woman in the video I posted said the amount you get depends on how many children you have.

I am saying if you want to have kids it's not the tax payers responsibility to feed them.

From what i seen, these assistant programs are looked down upon, if you are on it, you are to be shamed. Many people i heard about got out of it as soon as they got a job, you know why? because having a job gives you more unlike what your political party told you.

These programs are not looked down upon if it's for honest people who really cannot provide for themselves due to health reasons. I have no problem to donate some of my money to help them, I also have no problem to pay for health insurance or food stamps or school supplies for children because it's not their fault they are in this situation. But the problem is that a lot of these children grow up to be the same as their parents and live in the system all their lives.

Solution is to limit the term of assistance for people who are able to work, and stop paying people that have kids knowing that they don't have any money to support them. Americans need to start taking responsibility for their actions. And that might take generations because we have so many that grow up in this environment.

You live in public housing? don't have a job? can't afford food for yourself? Well then, I'm sorry but you can't have children until you improve your situation..

If you decide to have kids anyway we'll help you for two years, but then you are on your own or your child gets taken away until you get on your feet.

I know it's cruel, but that's how responsible people do it. And think about how it feels to work 60, 70 or more hours for minimum wage paycheck to paycheck just to feed your own family and have portion of your earned money taken out of your paycheck to feed the people that think it's okay to start a family even though they have no money to support it. And because you work so much you don't qualify to receive medicaid or food stamps.

Of ocurse there going to be bad apples that abuse the system, get under the table pay and still enjoying benefits, but to paint the entire population that needs the assistance to survive is just bad karma.

Nobody is painting the entire population and there are a lot of bad apples that abuse the system. Like I said it will probably take generations until this problem is solved.
edit on 16-5-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I just read an article this morning that should be read by people interested in this topic.

We've made poverty too comfortable

It's an interesting conversation.

The real question is how long can a country function if too high a percentage of people are on some form of aid instead of working?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

The real question is how long can a country function if too high a percentage of people are on some form of aid instead of working?

The way things are going, we'll find out soon enough in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

OK i agree that it needs to be regulated properly so people don't abuse it.

I seen needy people that barely had anything remaining, living everyday by few scraps, even with working part time(government allowed hrs).

I also seen the ones that work under the table, but i know the majority isn't the bad apples.

The thing is, while trying to cut down the bad apples, we will also cut down on the people that really need it to move on ahead.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh lets face it you chose not to work. Not because you have 4 kids but because you wont be able to make enough money to look after them if you worked or you would lose out on benefits.

Its my opinion that the poor should not look like " normal " people. They should live on a budget.

We have to brand this " the new poor". The new poor of the western world is quite rich.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join