It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Central Florida banks to ban hats, sunglasses and hoods, cops say...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

This will definitely work because officers stuck decals on the front doors of the banks informing customers of the new policy. When will the madness stop?

I think you would change your mind if you worked in a retail bank setting. Imagine being a teller and some stranger walks up to the teller line wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. Are you at all nervous?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The steps these banks are taking is prudent.

In this day and age, preventing violence is prudent, not madness. Obviously, banks wouldn't adopt these rules if they didn't have some form of preventative effect to reduce bank robberies.

It's not like someone just came up with this idea out of the blue for kicks and giggles. Good grief.

If you had ever talked to someone that has been robbed at gunpoint, or had the unfortunate experience yourself, I think you might have a different take on this subject.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

I can see your point regarding surveillance. I have been living in the woods for so long I don't really feel the prying eyes of who I refer to as "Those that like to watch" very often. We do however have the low flying DEA planes during the yearly flyovers. Other than that the only eyes we have on us out here are the birds, bees and the occasional mountain lion, but I do understand your concerns.

I was thinking that since banks already have internal surveillance systems that it would be a better idea to spend a little extra for a state of the art system.

I can see how the content of the article is a little vague and not very well written, IMO. The last paragraph led my to believe that this was decision made by the banks and supported by the police to make their jobs a little easier.

in a statement, officials said the policy is "just one of several security improvements Longwood banks are implementing and the only one that will be discussed publicly."

Penny

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09

This will definitely work because officers stuck decals on the front doors of the banks informing customers of the new policy. When will the madness stop?

I think you would change your mind if you worked in a retail bank setting. Imagine being a teller and some stranger walks up to the teller line wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. Are you at all nervous?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The steps these banks are taking is prudent.

In this day and age, preventing violence is prudent, not madness. Obviously, banks wouldn't adopt these rules if they didn't have some form of preventative effect to reduce bank robberies.

It's not like someone just came up with this idea out of the blue for kicks and giggles. Good grief.

If you had ever talked to someone that has been robbed at gunpoint, or had the unfortunate experience yourself, I think you might have a different take on this subject.

I have an idea how to prevent bank robberies... Arm the bank tellers, allow citizens to open carry. The wanna be bank robber would have to think long and hard whether they are willing to risk getting shot for slipping a note and stealing a few hundred bucks. What do you think?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret
I have an idea how to prevent bank robberies... Arm the bank tellers, allow citizens to open carry. The wanna be bank robber would have to think long and hard whether they are willing to risk getting shot for slipping a note and stealing a few hundred bucks. What do you think?

It is difficult to justify shooting, and likely killing, someone, for "slipping a note and stealing a few hundred bucks". If they're armed and pointing a gun at the teller, there is the threat of imminent danger, but wouldn't you guess that the teller would be shot if they went for a gun that the bank robber knows is there?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
i have never understood people wearing sunglasses all the time inside. what do they think it's makes cool? or are they trying to hide something? i personally am suspicious of people who wear shades inside all the time.

i have always thought it better to be able to see someones eyes, you seem to get a better sense of what they are about and what their reaction is to things said and seen.

now if you have some kind of eye problems, that's require shades that's alright.

when i was younger, i knew a women who couldn't lie for s---. you could see it in her eyes, so she took to wearing sunglasses all the time. now that just one person, makes you wonder why others might be doing it?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

It is difficult to justify shooting, and likely killing, someone, for "slipping a note and stealing a few hundred bucks

Someone tries to rob you and you need to justify defending yourself? Not where I live.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

It is difficult to justify shooting, and likely killing, someone, for "slipping a note and stealing a few hundred bucks

Someone tries to rob you and you need to justify defending yourself? Not where I live.

Well, technically, he's robbing the bank, not you, and if you're not in imminent threat of harm, because he isn't armed or attacking you, you can definitely get in trouble for using unwarranted deadly force.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well, technically, he's robbing the bank, not you, and if you're not in imminent threat of harm, because he isn't armed or attacking you, you can definitely get in trouble for using unwarranted deadly force.

A guy comes in to a place where you work knowing that people are armed and attempts to make you give him the money that you are responsible for. You or anyone else pull out a gun and tell him to get down on the floor and if he goes after you you can shoot him. Just like the police would do in a similar situation.

But the point is that criminals would have a lot more risk to try robbing anybody than they have now if people could open carry. No need to make up stupid rules, all you have to do is allow people to defend themselves.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I wear sunglasses a lot. Even with overcast skies, and at times indoors (not in my house I keep that too dark). It has nothing to do with being cool, I am too old to care about cool. I do it because some places are just too bright for me. Light tends to hurt my eyes and give me a headache if I am in it too long. Nothing medical that has been detected just a preference for a lower light level. If places did not feel the need to have lights as bright as they were it would be different. Some places are not as bright as others so I don't wear them. Other times I am not in a place long enough to bother taking them off.

But as I said on page one, I assumed this was nation wide already. They either accept what I wear or they can say something. When it is cold I am wearing my hoody.

Raist

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Unnecessary. You won't have many 55+ year old female tellers that will want to go through firearm training, for starters. Secondly, most of the times, the robber passes a note to the teller. The threat of violence is there, but few robbers waltz into a bank with guns ablazing.

Many of these bank robbers eventually get caught. With cameras everywhere, and the tellers being able to alert the police relatively quickly, few of these criminals ever succeed for any length of time.

The goal here is prevention and to keep lives intact.
edit on 14-5-2013 by CookieMonster09 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

You won't have many 55+ year old female tellers that will want to go through firearm training, for starters.

Then they would need to find another job.

Secondly, most of the times, the robber passes a note to the teller. The threat of violence is there, but few robbers waltz into a bank with guns ablazing.

Armed personnel, and open carry would make it too risky to attempt it for the note passing wanna be bank robbers. That's the whole point.

The goal here is prevention and to keep lives intact.

Exactly... No one tries to rob a gun shop, why do you think that is?
edit on 16-5-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Then they would need to find another job.

Not necessary. Tellers have other ways of stopping the theft in the first place. They can, for example, notify the police at the push of a button, among other actions.

I think the banking industry would agree that it is not worth the potential escalation of violence, let alone the cost and training, of having armed tellers. In general, these incidents are relatively rare because of the surveillance cameras alone.

It would also place a real damper on client relations. Doing business with an armed teller is not exactly the most friendly way to do business.

Exactly... No one tries to rob a gun shop, why do you think that is?

A gun shop is expected to have guns. Banks are not. Two completely different industries, different clientele, different business culture.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join