It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rebranding US politics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by benrl

hell I'd throw military service as a req as it shows not only a commitment but a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of all of us.

A requirement for military service would not really be logical, there is a a plethora of individuals who either cannot serve or morally object to serving in armed forces.

Same could be said for the bachelor suggestion.

Which was why you thought the bachelors degree requirement seemed a bit elitist.

I have great respect for those who choose to and are able to serve. I do however feel that there are other ways we can, and many do serve this country. The Conservation corps come to mind, as do volunteer firefighters.

Penny

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
How about;

1) Be over 35 years of age.

2) Has held a job for 10 years or more. Has earned a pay check. Has paid taxes. Has supervised people. Has had to fire people. Has had to worry about bills. Has had to budget. Has had to go without in order to pay the utility bills.

I think you have got something there Beezer.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

There are other ways to show those, perhaps a simple general testing like the asvab, hell I'd throw military service as a req as it shows not only a commitment but a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of all of us.

I wouldn't argue with this at all!

My husband and I have often argued back and forth about the education requirement. He doesn't think there should be any education requirement. I countered in the argument with "then, you'd be okay with some illiterate "redneck" of the Jackass-type?" (Note, no pun intended or implied toward our current Congressman & woman....I swear!
)

His response? "Why not...they are American as the rest of us."

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Sounds like you're equating military service to some sort of criminal activity. The possibility exists that you wouldn't even be here if not for the military.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I say, for any public office, be it city/town, to national:

1) A one year term limit for every possible office.

2) No pensions.

3) A salary that is equal to that of the average citizen for every elected office. The President should make a slight percentage more. (national average)

4) Any and all inquiries of misconduct result in immediate, unpaid suspension of voting powers and participation of committee until resolution is reached in open court.

5) No judicial appointments. (Every judge should be elected)

6) Lobbies should be abolished.

7) All proposed laws and budgets should be voted on by the public on yearly, or twice a year; the laws would only come to this point by being passed by legislature.

8) All voters must be citizens of the United States and speak English fluently.

9) If war or military action is declared, all those that voted for it must either be willing to serve in said war/military action. If they are unable due to health issues, someone in their immediate family must serve willingly in their place, or that person's vote is void and the passing of such action is recalculated taking the removal of that vote into account.

10) All elected officials must submit to monthly psychological testing to prove fitness, or be stripped of their office.

11) All citizens, once they are born, or naturalized, will have the right to vote automatically without further question at the publicly approved age.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I wasn't working on virtually no sleep, but for now, that's what I've got.

In my own opinion, all of the above would require a complete restructuring of the constitution, It should be put back to its prime condition and any changes should be made with 2/3 approval of the voting population.

edit on 5/14/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: added # 11

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OldArmyGuy

Sounds like you're equating military service to some sort of criminal activity.

I never said anything like that.

Don't be a troll.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I really like where this thread is going. I would like to add to this wishlist that extended military actions and big-ticket items need to be approved by referendum of the entire electorate.

The big problem is, how to get the current Congress and President to support it.
edit on 14-5-2013 by DiscreteParticle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiscreteParticle
I really like where this thread is going. I would like to add to this wishlist that extended military actions and big-ticket items need to be approved by referendum of the entire electorate.

The big problem is, how to get the current Congress and President to support it.
edit on 14-5-2013 by DiscreteParticle because: (no reason given)

Never happen. If they were to support it, they lose power, money, fat pensions.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Not a bad idea.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'd also throw in removing riders that generally have zero to do with the bill being introduced for voting. Make it so that if someone introduces a bill it is only for that specific thing and nothing else.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join