It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rebranding US politics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I was just discussing in another thread how corrupt our governmental system has become. The founding fathers never intended public service to be a career.

So..let's talk about some theoretical changes!! If you were asked to come up a "fix" to clean up government corruption, what would your ideas be?

I would say:

Senators and Representatives should be picked out of a voluntary draft and allowed to serve for 2 years. This would occur on an alternating rotation, so no state would have all their congressman up for re-election at the same time. In order to be eligible, you must:

1. Be a US citizen
2. Be 35 years or older
3. Obtained a Bachelor's degree from any accredited college in any discipline.

You would receive a set salary & standard benefits for each year of service (maximum of 2) and be allowed to return to your previous employment following your service, just as if you served in Guard duty.

So basically, you put your name in the hat and if your name gets drawn out (a lot of checks and balances surrounding this process to ensure there is no fraud), you get to hold that position for 2 years.

I would also propose that Election Day be moved to April 16th.

edit on 13-5-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
I was just discussing in another thread how corrupt our governmental system has become. The founding fathers never intended public service to be a career.

So..let's talk about some theoretical changes!! If you were asked to come up a "fix" to clean up government corruption, what would your ideas be?

I would say:

Senators and Representatives should be picked out of a voluntary draft and allowed to serve for 2 years. This would occur on an alternating rotation, so no state would have all their congressman up for re-election at the same time. In order to be eligible, you must:

1. Be a US citizen
2. Be 35 years or older
3. Obtained a Bachelor's degree from any accredited college in any discipline.

You would receive a set salary & standard benefits for each year of service (maximum of 2) and be allowed to return to your previous employment following your service, just as if you served in Guard duty.

So basically, you put your name in the hat and if your name gets drawn out (a lot of checks and balances surrounding this process to ensure there is no fraud), you get to hold that position for 2 years.

I would also propose that Election Day be moved to April 16th.

It would be interesting to see what happened if it was like jury service.

The bachelor requirement is a bit elitist to me, not everyone was blessed with the finances or the desire to accumulate massive debt.

Maybe an iq test instead, bush would meet the bachelor req, but I doubt an iq one.
edit on 13-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I like the system that was drawn up in the Constitution and wouldn't change any of it. Repeal the 17th Amendment go back to Senators being elected by state legislatures and could be recalled when not voting with their state's best interests. That would remove a large portion of the lobbyist influence. With current technology there is no reason to have Senators and Congressmen in Washington full time. All voting could be online/video conferencing. A two term limit for every public office.

Those are my solutions.

edit on 13-5-2013 by Carreau because: sp

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I like the system that was drawn up in the Constitution and wouldn't change any of it. Repeal the 17th Amendment go back to Senators being elected by state legislatures and could be recalled when not voting with their state's best interests. That would remove a large portion of the lobbyist influence. With current technology there is no reason to have Senators and Congressmen in Washington full time. All voting could be online/video conferencing. A two term limit for ever public office.

Those are my solutions.

The best solution would be strict term limits and lobbying reform.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That's what I just posted.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I'm all for it, except for the Bachelor's degree. All the slime in DC are mostly made up of college-educated, lawyer-scum right now.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

That's what I just posted.

I'm agreeing with you as in yea your right stared you as well...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I'm all for it, except for the Bachelor's degree. All the slime in DC are mostly made up of college-educated, lawyer-scum right now.

And people wonder why laws are so monolithic, verbose, and filled with double talk. More than half the congress are professionally trained arguers and bs artist.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I see your point. I only threw the Bachelor Degree in there because I would want someone who had some modicum of intelligence. However, I believe that IQ tests are seriously flawed and not really representative of intelligence.

I chose a Bachelor's Degree because I felt it would show:

1. Commitment
2. Some sort of education

Yes, I realize it is debatable on whether someone with ANY kind of degree is truly "educated."

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

I like the system that was drawn up in the Constitution and wouldn't change any of it. Repeal the 17th Amendment go back to Senators being elected by state legislatures and could be recalled when not voting with their state's best interests. That would remove a large portion of the lobbyist influence. With current technology there is no reason to have Senators and Congressmen in Washington full time. All voting could be online/video conferencing. A two term limit for ever public office.

Those are my solutions.

The best solution would be strict term limits and lobbying reform.

I completely agree with term limits.

However, I am torn on lobbying reform. I disagree that corporations should have the same "free speech" rights as individuals....therefore, they should be restricted in campaign donations and lobbying.

That being said, I think eliminating lobbying as a whole from an individual level significantly infringes upon our constitutional right to free speech.

link   

Yes please don't confuse educated with intelligent.

link   
I would have to agree with Benrl and Bezzer,

Some of the most forward thinking and non-dogmatic people I have ever known have not been college educated but life educated.

I do think it's about time we eliminate the word career from politics altogether.

Penny

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yes please don't confuse educated with intelligent.

No confusion present.... I believe I explained why I stated this as a requirement.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

No need to eliminate lobbying. Term limits and repealing the 17th and keeping the elected in their districts/states instead of having all of them concentrated in one location will fix most of the lobby problems.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

That being said, I think eliminating lobbying as a whole from an individual level significantly infringes upon our constitutional right to free speech.

In my mind the corporate lobby should not be confused with the ability of the citizens to address their needs directly and eliminating the corporate lobby may allow the actual citizens to be heard.

There is a big difference between, say, the mining industry interests and the interests of the miners themselves.

Penny

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I see your point. I only threw the Bachelor Degree in there because I would want someone who had some modicum of intelligence. However, I believe that IQ tests are seriously flawed and not really representative of intelligence.

I chose a Bachelor's Degree because I felt it would show:

1. Commitment
2. Some sort of education

Yes, I realize it is debatable on whether someone with ANY kind of degree is truly "educated."

There are other ways to show those, perhaps a simple general testing like the asvab, hell I'd throw military service as a req as it shows not only a commitment but a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of all of us.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

hell I'd throw military service as a req as it shows not only a commitment but a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of all of us.

A requirement for military service would not really be logical, there is a a plethora of individuals who either cannot serve or morally object to serving in armed forces.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by benrl

hell I'd throw military service as a req as it shows not only a commitment but a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of all of us.

A requirement for military service would not really be logical, there is a a plethora of individuals who either cannot serve or morally object to serving in armed forces.

Same could be said for the bachelor suggestion.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

True, that's why there should be no requirements other than ones concerning age, location, and citizenship. And I'm pretty sure that's how it already is.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How about;

1) Be over 35 years of age.

2) Has held a job for 10 years or more. Has earned a pay check. Has paid taxes. Has supervised people. Has had to fire people. Has had to worry about bills. Has had to budget. Has had to go without in order to pay the utility bills.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join