It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On being a product of the Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
If there was no media source for bush to pour 120 million and kerry 70 million free air time and butt kissing wouldn't ensue on the networks.

Their would be nobody to give canned answers and there would be more room for original thought.

There would be more room for objectivism and less room for subjectivism.

You would be able to see this country for what it should be,and why our father's came here in the first place.

But instead we're blinded by partisan politics which creates partisan warfare, nobody cares anymore about this country rather they care more about what their party can do for them even if it goes against everything our fore father's warned us about.

whether your a democrat or republican your leaders are still trying to change the constitution, still trying to create class warfare social warfare and race warfare... It's a diversion FROM THE REAL ISSUES.

It's sociology 101 which is pretty sad because the majority of you are older then me and you don't even get it...

[edit on 5-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Truelies, you are blind....

I have two words for you...if you can see to read them:

Dan Rather

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I love when people claim that everyone else is an idiot, but they are somehow immune and are the only enlightened ones. It gives me a giggle!

News flash: We are all being controlled in one way or another that we are most often unaware of and none of us have all the answers. Probability dictates that you are not Christ, Buddha, Satan, Allah or even Einstein. You are just another human in an emense sea of humans. Reality sucks, but that is something one just has to deal with.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
we are being controlled one way or another??

So how about identifying it like you just did and take the second step instead of being complacent...

I'm not claiming to be perfect..... And yes I am blind to some things, which I cannot mention because I don't know... However, the things I am not blind to, I would like to discuss with others... Like maybe the fact that you are a product of the media??

I listen to cspan caller's all the time and I cannot believe how stupid people are.. Not all but alot are...

So instead of name calling and telling me i'm blind ect, how about a discussion on the topic instead dodging the point. how rude.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Although I would never desire to name names, point fingers, or make broad generalizations about people I only know via a hazy and distant relationship...I'd have to agree with you TL...

I make the same case, in essence, in the thread I created below:
Post-Election Party Reform A Hypocrisy

At first the connection may not seem so clear...but look beyond the murky waters of phrases like "moral values" and "exit polls"...b/c what happens is the media puts words in our mouths or boils down our comments into simple phrases that over-generalize the issues...these reductions of thought are then taken to be the consensus of America's beliefs and value systems and therefore the media targets these zones - politicians then backfire on this endless pile of garbage and America sits, stalled-out and going nowhere put in circles...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I love this!
............However, on a second thought, it's not so funny because it's true.

As I listen to people call into c-span everyday with their answers they think are orginal thoughts, they can't answer the questions the host asks which would bring their thought process a little bit deeper, but they can't even delve into the depths of their own mind because the catch phrases have been branded into their brains in which they can't explain, they only know what the media tell them.

Their not sitting around the table with the secretary of defense, or tommy franks getting the info, rather their trusting a source who is getting their info from someone that got their info from someone else. And the the secretary of defense of tommy franks can also easily lie...

i don't understand how people can just swallow like this without questioning the legitimacy of these "rumors"... thats what they are until we have facts.

Another thing i'm noticing is that if FACTS are too long to read, and too long to absorb, they get pushed aside... Because after all it's alot easier to remember phrases to make your point...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's so true...at what point did we turn around and decide that such a depiction is more funny than offensive?!...It's even more funny if you consider that we eat the # of the politicans and # their # to rest of the #-eaters....

Another thing i'm noticing is that if FACTS are too long to read, and too long to absorb, they get pushed aside... Because after all it's alot easier to remember phrases to make your point...

See...I don't know if that's the problem though...I think a good portion of those 57, 59 million, or however many people it was that voted Bush....were voting based off of generalizations and feel-good warm fuzzy feelings about a "firm" and "stable" President...all based off of campaign tactics, fear mongering, and media representations...

But there are plenty of people out there who also don't have a clear picture of modern politics...but if you ask them, they know where they stand...and it's not b/c Dan Rather or Peter Jennings or the Pope says it's so...and so these people could be as informed as the best of them and still be as firm as a rock in their opinions...And I wouldn't be surprised if people such as this made up another significant portion of both Bush and Kerry supporters...

The truth is, people who don't stay up-to-date with WORLD events, who only rely on 1 or 2 news sources, and who take most of the PR they hear for face-value run rampant in this country...and it's also their right to vote...and these people did what their lack of understanding forced them to do...and therefore the control and power of the GOP was secured by the people who have blind-faith in their President and the media...

Some would say I'm whinning and rambling here...Seeing as how I voted for a candidate I knew would not win ahead of time, I'm not upset or bitter...I've expressed my hate for Bush for 4 years, and now I'm as confident in my distrust for him as the greates Bush supporter is confident in all of his glory...I see no need in bickering over him or the media anymore...it's clearly a lost cause...You cannot fight and win for what you cannot change...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Paramount, Disney, ICM and CAA New York, Times, Wall Street Journal Washington Post, Boston Globe, Washington Post Barron's, Dow Jones Village Voice Time, U.S. News & World Report Atlantic Monthly, NY Daily News, AOL-Time Warner, CNN News Group (before you say no that's Ted Turner, look up 'Walter Isaacson'), Time Warner's publishing division, Sports Illustrated, People, Fortune, Walt Disney Company, Touchstone, Buena Vista, Hollywood Pictures, Caravan Pictures, Miramax Films, Capital Cities/ABC, Inc., ESPN, Lifetime Television, A & E Television Networks, ABC Radio Network, Viacom, Inc., Paramount Pictures, CBS's Country Music Television Nashville Network Simon & Schuster, Scribner, The
Free Press, Pocket Books. Showtime, MTV, Nickelodeon, Fox Television Network, 20th Century Fox Films, and Fox 2000, New York Post and TV Guide are all owned or controlled by one religous organization.

This is not to mention all the local television and radio broadcast stations and newspapers that are mostly subsidaries of the companies listed above.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

See...I don't know if that's the problem though...I think a good portion of those 57, 59 million, or however many people it was that voted Bush....were voting based off of generalizations and feel-good warm fuzzy feelings about a "firm" and "stable" President...all based off of campaign tactics, fear mongering, and media representations...

It's not "thee" problem, it's just "one other thing i've noticed" which could be included under the the title of "problems"

But there are plenty of people out there who also don't have a clear picture of modern politics...but if you ask them, they know where they stand...

Perfect example of this: I know a lady, she's 24, she was voting for bush because he was "nice", and because "freed the Iraqi people" ..........
She only watched fox news, and not even often but that was her main source of news, she didn't research or learn things on her own, or keep a record of what he's done... I asked her what about 7 trillion dollars of debt we have, surely your children are going to have to pay for that down the road', she had no idea what I was talking about...

But, she knew where she stood thats for damn sure, and millions of people vote who are alike this...

and it's not b/c Dan Rather or Peter Jennings or the Pope says it's so...

Some people take their opinions and run with them... And millions of people who vote are like this too...

And I wouldn't be surprised if people such as this made up another significant portion of both Bush and Kerry supporters...

we have a political monopoly because people such as this make up the significant portion of the bush and kerry conglomerate...

The truth is, people who don't stay up-to-date with WORLD events, who only rely on 1 or 2 news sources, and who take most of the PR they hear for face-value run rampant in this country...and it's also their right to vote...

Even if you do keep up with world events it doesn't jutsify the actions of political events... All you have to do is look back to history to figure out whats really going on, namely the middle east conflict...

And these people did what their lack of understanding forced them to do...and therefore the control and power of the GOP was secured by the people who have blind-faith in their President and the media...

These are the people who bother to vote, but couldn't be bothered with self educating and taking a few history classes...
I guess people these days tune into tv like one republican said on here "turn on a tv and get your facts! " instead of opening a history book...

After all history repeats itself if people in the present times don't learn from past mistakes...

A true lack of understanding can be shown in the number of people that voted the incumbant back in.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
After the anger at the rediculous nature of politics in this country, the only option really is to take back conversation.

We are not "supposed" to talk about politics socially. Personally I get tired of people getting uncomfortable when I bring up politics or who they voted for.

I get "Voting is a personal thing" like it's some big secret who they voted for.

The biggest thing you can do, is:

- peacefully deny the government your support
- Protest peacefully and effectively
- Talk to people about what you believe and turn them onto information
- Print out resources and give them to people who do not know the finer details of politics.
- Work with the Libertarian party, and get their support(and vise versa) to help America.

We can do this the nice way or the nasty way. It's really better to do the nice way as long as possible.

We need to work within the system as long as the government permits us.

top topics

join