It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we working for?!?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

U.S. here. I've been at my job for 8 years. Started at $12 an hour, now up to $15. With each raise also came the increases in fuel, food, rent, smokes, everything, to the point where I am either making the same pay as when I started this job, or less.

And now it is predicted that health insurance will (at the very least) double. There's no way my company will pay for that, but by law I HAVE to have it.

A few years ago I predicted that the three financial classes will go from 1. Poverty level, 2. Middle class, 3. Wealthy, to 1. Unemployed homeless, 2. Working homeless, 3. Wealthy. It's coming!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I really sympathise with the OP.

I've been a qualified nurse almost as long as you've been alive, yet only earn a little over £20,000 pa.

I live in a tiny little one-bedroom flat and have a very frugal lifestyle which allows me to put a little bit aside for retirement.

Such is the quality of life in the UK for its workers.

It's why there are so many who have just given up on work and live off benefits.

It's not because the benefits are so good, but because employers are allowed to pay starvation wages to their staff...which then need to be supplemented by working tax credits (paid for from workers' tax contributions).

Being unemployed means you'll be poor - but you're not THAT much better off working, so why not?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
That's fine on the individual level, but I am talking about communities, and yes we do have communities no matter how disconnected they are. The more people feel connected to their communities btw, the less likely they are to commit crime.

Not always so, gangs prove the opposite.

I haven't fallen for anything, I have nothing to do with commercial holidays other than Mothers Day,

Nothing wrong with honouring your parents. But that can be done on any day. And the amount of money you spent on the gifts is not what matters. A big hug, some flowers you just hand-picked, a cake you baked and then eat together over a good cuppa .. that type of gift is often more appreciated by parents than a more expensive gift. I know, I'm a parent myself..

I will not deny my Mom a special day because I hate consumerism!

Then don't. But a 'special day' is not necessarily one that requires you to spent money on crap she'll probably not wants nor will use anyway. Nor is it required to save up your love and care for your parents to let it all out on an arbitrary day somewhere in May..

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
I've been a qualified nurse almost as long as you've been alive, yet only earn a little over £20,000 pa.

Still thousands of pounds p/a more than the OP.. he would be happy to trade, I guess..

Not saying you're a filthy rich bitch, don't get me wrong. Merely pointing out that, seen from his perspective, you earn a lot. He may not understand why that is: why do you earn so much more for comparable work? (let me guess: you had education?)

I live in a tiny little one-bedroom flat and have a very frugal lifestyle which allows me to put a little bit aside for retirement. Such is the quality of life in the UK for its workers.

Well, you are, of course, member of an Union, right? You are member of a political party and do your best to realize your goals, right? Assuming that to be true, I don't really see what else you can do, do you?

It's why there are so many who have just given up on work and live off benefits. It's not because the benefits are so good, but because employers are allowed to pay starvation wages to their staff...which then need to be supplemented by working tax credits (paid for from workers' tax contributions). Being unemployed means you'll be poor - but you're not THAT much better off working, so why not?

Because you don't do anything for yourself nor for society by sitting on your behind and let others take care of you. Please note that I did not say you'll have to go to some employer who'll - your words - starve you for your work. I don't agree with that either. But you could decide to help others in your free time, could take up a study, could set up your own company that will show the world that it can be done: running an honest business whilst not stealing from your workers.. there are so many options you have!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

U.S. here [...] And now it is predicted that health insurance will (at the very least) double. There's no way my company will pay for that, but by law I HAVE to have it.

Have you asked your company if they would? Maybe they will, not all employers are money-hungry bastards. You could also organise a strike, look for another job, start your own business, join a political party..

I fully realise that this may sound pedantic and apologize, but really: the only one you control - is you.

A few years ago I predicted that the three financial classes will go from 1. Poverty level, 2. Middle class, 3. Wealthy, to 1. Unemployed homeless, 2. Working homeless, 3. Wealthy. It's coming!

And what are you doing to prevent or correct it?
edit on 15-5-2013 by ForteanOrg because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2013 by ForteanOrg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Just because you accepted that you were worth almost nothing in the eyes of the insane that run things, don't try and assuage others that they also should accept very little for the hours of their LIVES, THE most precious of all things.
The only reason OP exists on this earth at his moment in time, was to be made an indentured serf, a slave to a debt that can never be repaid, a slave to a life that could and should be very different, a wage slave in a slave society designed to maintain the # at the top of the pyramid by supporting it with your very lives.
not me.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

From the UK as well mate, down "Souf ov Engerland".

Dropped out of school cos I had/have learning difficulties, Aspergers and generally just being a bit of a retard due to all the green grass I smoked.

Worked my way up to a the dizzy heights of a career, on about 50k a year and you know what? I am no better off than I was on a lower salary, in fact when I was on 25k I was doing well...wtf.

David #ermon is not entirely to blame for this, the UK government has only one agenda, rinse the public dry of all monies, more so with this effked up government than ever.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

What are we working for?!?!

The weekend!!!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The X

Just because you accepted that you were worth almost nothing in the eyes of the insane that run things, don't try and assuage others that they also should accept very little for the hours of their LIVES, THE most precious of all things.
The only reason OP exists on this earth at his moment in time, was to be made an indentured serf, a slave to a debt that can never be repaid, a slave to a life that could and should be very different, a wage slave in a slave society designed to maintain the # at the top of the pyramid by supporting it with your very lives.
not me.

Just because you (or the OP) are unhappy with your lives don't blame me. If you stay at the bottom of the heap it's because you didn't do your best to advance. Every job I or my spouse ever had we started out at the bottom and worked our way up to the top- all without any fancy college degree. Nobody helped us, we did it all on our own. We bought and paid off our house 11 years early on our own, our vehicles bought and paid for on our own, and our credit built up on our own. If you think everything should be handed to you on a silver platter just because you were born human you are in for a huge disappointment, and if you refuse to work hard and save to get somewhere better in life you will never have anything more than a bad attitude. If you believe you are a slave to a debt that can never be paid go into the wilderness and be self-sufficient and you will owe nobody anything- but I assure you that you won't have time or energy to whine and cry about how unfair life is to strangers on the internet!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Started at $12 an hour, now up to $15. With each raise also came the increases in fuel, food, rent, smokes, everything, to the point where I am either making the same pay as when I started this job, or less.

Your wage has kept pace with inflation, plus 30 cents in the black. So, in essence, in 8 years, you've had a purchasing power raise of 30 cents. However, this is with overall inflation. Some of those items (such as fuel and smokes, and food) have risen much higher than the overall rate of inflation, so realistically, you're likely making less (purchase power-wise) when considering those items which have drastically increased in price.
edit on 15-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Just because you (or the OP) are unhappy with your lives don't blame me. If you stay at the bottom of the heap it's because you didn't do your best to advance.

There is a certain degree of luck involved too. There are plenty of people who work hard for years, and then are suddenly laid off, and then have to use their savings to live until they find something else. So, despite their work ethic, they take 3 steps forward, then 2 or 3 steps back.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

There is a certain degree of luck involved too. There are plenty of people who work hard for years, and then are suddenly laid off, and then have to use their savings to live until they find something else. So, despite their work ethic, they take 3 steps forward, then 2 or 3 steps back.

Do you not think this is true of all people, myself included? Everyone experiences setbacks, the trick is to not give up and keep moving forward. So many here talk about being slaves and how they refuse to participate, and yet they have internet access that someone is paying for- so either they are working toward something despite what they say or they are mooching off others. I feel for those who have setbacks and keep on trying, but I have no pity for those who expect others to support them for their whole lives because they aren't "sell outs" and they feel entitled just for existing.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou

Er.... Is this just me, or is anyone else thinking "What the # am I working for?!?!".

I feel the same way bud, what in the world are any of us working towards....

HOWEVER, you need to pull your # together and set a goal for yourself. Just because society says you "need" a college degree, does not mean you can't succeed without one.

I quite college when I was 19 because it just wasn't for me. I've been back a time or two for different classes, I found interesting, but what you need is some lessons on entrepreneurship. The only ways out of the rat race are either as a vagrant drifter, or a real businessman.

Select the latter, and start a business. If you're at all handy, log into Etsy.com and start selling homemade things that are unique to you and your interests...chances are that out of the billion or so people who have heard of Etsy and/or Facebook, there will be a certain small percentage that finds your interests appealing enough to purchase.

Beyond that, you could utilize your prior job history to become successful, doing what you did for other, for yourself. This is what I've done. Since I was in college, I worked in field marketing, doing events and promotions for large corporations on weekends for $20-30USD/hr. It was fun because the schedule was wide open and I could work when I needed the dough. 3 years ago, I converted 5 years of field marketing knowledge to work my way up and claw for an opportunity within one of those corporate companies. A year later, I started a company and now a full 2 years down the line from there, I operate a successful marketing agency and staffing company that focuses on building brands in which I have similar industry experience.

Learn some business rules (they're online), subscribe to the 'Entrepreneur' app on your phone, read the blogs and entires, attend local business owner meetings, ask questions, and search yourself for what you really want to do. When you begin to help others by providing a service or product, you'll be able to help more people by becoming a job creator. That's when you'll look back at your work history (and your bank account) and realize it was all worth it.

From there, set goals, set waypoints, and continue to build internal systems and infrastructure to make everyone you employ job's easier and more efficient. Efficiency puts extra money in your pocket, regardless of what industry you're involved in. Then look to sell your company.

Now you can go to the beach....or buy one of your own. :-)

Remember, patience builds quality, and that you really do have to crawl before you can run. The decisions you make in the beginning will determine the level of decisions you'll be able to make at the end, so always think 5 -10 turns ahead. If you're a BIG PICTURE guy, then hire someone who is a LITTLE PICTURE person to work below you and help build the day to day operations.

I could go on and on and on...just make a move and figure out what you want to do, THEN figure out how you can make money with it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Originally posted by The X

not me.

Just because you (or the OP) are unhappy with your lives don't blame me. If you stay at the bottom of the heap it's because you didn't do your best to advance. Every job I or my spouse ever had we started out at the bottom and worked our way up to the top- all without any fancy college degree. Nobody helped us, we did it all on our own. We bought and paid off our house 11 years early on our own, our vehicles bought and paid for on our own, and our credit built up on our own. If you think everything should be handed to you on a silver platter just because you were born human you are in for a huge disappointment, and if you refuse to work hard and save to get somewhere better in life you will never have anything more than a bad attitude. If you believe you are a slave to a debt that can never be paid go into the wilderness and be self-sufficient and you will owe nobody anything- but I assure you that you won't have time or energy to whine and cry about how unfair life is to strangers on the internet!

I think you missed the point, i am very happy with my "Life", i don't like the society i am forced to live in, I don't like the fact that so many people who are unhappy with the situation have no remedy but to be told by other people, Herp Derp, it's alright for me.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

but I have no pity for those who expect others to support them for their whole lives because they aren't "sell outs" and they feel entitled just for existing.

Full agreement there.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Same thing here in Canada my friend. I'll tell you why we work. We work for the privilege of having food in our bellies, the privilegeof having water in our glasses and the privilege of a roof over our head. Maybe some new clothes and shoes once in a while.

Well I understand those are privileges, but isn't it at least a little bit suspicious that what you call "privileges" happen to be the exact minimum requirements to keep a working man working?

Are they privileges, or batteries, a needed expense for the robotic worker?
edit on 15-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

This is the point. I don't see how anyone can stand by and let themselves be robbed by the wealthy of their ability to improve their lives while simultaneously calling it a privilege to drink water.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Yes indeed they are. I totally agree. If I decide to go up north and live off the land all by my lonesome, a hermits life if you will. If they find out, do you think they'll leave me alone even if I don't pose a threat? Will they leave me alone even if I'm not a burden on the system? No they won't. I "need" to pay taxes if I want to live "free".

ETA
--------
I just want to clear something up. When I say it's a privileged to eat, drink, have a roof over your head. I don't mean that's what it should be. It should be a basic right no if's and's or but's about it. I was just pointing it out that unfortunately it isn't...not anymore.
edit on 15-5-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I see, I see. Yes... that's pretty much how it goes. I'm worried about totalitarian officials locking down entertainment and leisure activities as well in the near future.

Especially things that are of a creative nature, or freeing nature.

Even though the internet provides a greater quality of life for everyone, how long until the elite try to sabotage it because they don't want people to have a quality life?

See what I'm getting at here? The elite want to keep us slaves with no way out. They want us to earn as much money for them as possible with as little reward as possible.

And they definitely don't want us to have enough resources left at the end of the day to do something productive for ourselves or our families, or even have families, to be honest.

Do we want an enforced class divide? Imagine 20 years from now, a family is living in a shack, and the police get a tip that they have somehow gotten their hands on a Super Nintendo. So the raiding party comes in, either arrests or shoots them down, and then takes it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I'm sorry to say but it already started. Look at school curriculum now a day. It's all analytical. Less funding for the science, less funding for the Arts. If you dare go off the beaten bath be it it history or geography, even the mathematics you grade will go down because you didn't conform to the curriculum. In high school I had failed physics because I didn't understand the teachers instructions so I would create a new algorithm to figure it out. Apparently "It didn't show my work" so they failed me. That's just one example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join