It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we working for?!?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I turn 22 in September, I've been working since 17 as I dropped out of college due to noit recieving any finacial help..

5 jobs and two vocational qualifications later (two apprenticeships later) The Birmingham Chamber Of Commerce offer me the full time position on £13, 840 per annum..

BEFORE TAX.

Disgusted doesn't describe how robbed I feel right now.

After living on friends setee's for the last 5 years, i was looking forward to being able to afford my own small little place. Looks like I got my hopes up for no reason.

Call it £1000 per month after tax.

A small flat will cost me £450 per month.
Mandatory exspences and bills cost me a futher £100.

That leaves £450 to cover utility bills, food, clothing, medical bills and err.... Well I guess i won't be driving any time soon, or hitting a sunny beach anywhere.

Er.... Is this just me, or is anyone else thinking "What the # am I working for?!?!".

To add salt to the wounds, I've been training a new member of staff who works on the side and was officially unemployed for two years prior to gaining this current position.

I have more brain cells than him, so to speak, why the hell is he picking up £22,000 per annum, on top of his ILLEGAL part time work?!

More age discrimination.

This country, England, makes me sick!!
edit on 13-5-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

What are we working for?!?!

Enough gas money to get back & forth between work and home.
Rent money in order to have a place to sleep in between shifts.
And food money so we have enough energy to make it through the work shift.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Same thing here in Canada my friend. I'll tell you why we work. We work for the privilege of having food in our bellies, the privilegeof having water in our glasses and the privilege of a roof over our head. Maybe some new clothes and shoes once in a while.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
we are just little mice, running in our little mice wheel, slowly powering the infrastructure, then when its fully charged they euthanize us

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

First rant I've seen you have in a while.
I know the feeling.My answer to your question is to get blind drunk at the weekend.
Maybe that's just me.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i know how you feel .lifes a bitch then you marry one
i was getting the same wages for 12 years 27 years experiance and the same salary as somebody just out of their apprenticeship sucks eh . i packed it all in one day now i make a living of ebay we are all worth minimum wage below the neckline its whats above that earns the bread son
go get a van somebody always needs stuff moved & its big bucks get a job at nights in a pub it gets you out

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
U don't have to work.

Plant some seeds,
grow your own food and try not to rely too much on money.
edit on 13-5-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The American Dream...I mean the England Dream.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

....Thats the answer i was looking for
....To the op. Agreed!!!.......The uk slave trades a bugger innit!!!!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It sucks, but there is no such thing as a "free lunch". Most people work their whole lives just to pay for basic necessities and never have any money left over, living from paycheck to paycheck until they die. Best advice I can offer you is that if you find a dependable roommate to split the rent, utilities and grocery bill and save all the money you can maybe one day you will have enough saved up to do something substantial with. Just be prepared for the fact that it could take may years to do that. That's how the old timers did it for years before the days of living on unlimited credit and somehow they made it....you can too!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Amen.

There's me and my girlfriend raising a child and renting a home on £1600 a month. Food, Petrol, was going to say clothes & house items but shiit its been a long time since I'v been able to buy something new which isn't on finance. After dishing out on the cost of life, we have about £100 to our selves - Money to enjoy life with . . .

I work 9 and a half hours a day moving industrial plastics about which in the future will probably #ing kill me, my hands are all #ed up already - dry as hell and bleed after a hard days graft, and I do all this for £1,000 a month - And If I want to earn more, I have to do over time, which is one third of my wage (pretty much # all) - which then all pretty much gets taxed - 20 hours bringing me about £90 on top of my wage. So, Weighing up the time lost with my daughter & Mrs, this £90 is can go suck.

Plus they know they have me by the balls, there's no work & I'm a product of a bad environment with # grades & a much regretted MINOR criminal record.

They had me at Check Mate at the get go. I'm disposable labor and I can't really change that, college costs too much and working my self up to a 'good' position in my job would take 20+ years.

But you can't let that get you down, thats all I keep thinking. I'm happy anyhow, I may struggle sometimes and wish to provide a better environment for my daughter, but there is much more worse people off than us - Its them who I worry about, because as bad as it is - at least I have the ability to maintain, slightly.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

We're working to keep the gods at bay. Our overseers would not be to happy is this machine stopped running.

Take heed of these words... and get back to work.

Our masters request more wine and fine cigars.

edit on 13-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You work because no one else on this planet is obligated to support you. You are not "entitled" to a pound. If your pay is low it's because you did not get a relevant education to learn the skills that would have qualified you for a higher paid position. Use any excuse you want for why that didn't happen, but the fact is that is the root cause of your situation. You're doing a job nearly anyone, with no education, could do, hence the low pay. If you did a job only a few people can do, your pay would reflect that.

And it doesn't always take formal education. For example, there is no reason in the world why you could not be an expert programmer worth your weight in gold without taking a single class or paying a cent in tuition. And if you DID pick something that required formal education, there are enough scholarships and grants out there to pay your tuition five times over. Oh, you don't qualify because you didn't do well in that "stupid school"? Maybe you should have paid more attention.

It's your problem, so FIX it!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Welcome to the real world. Youre working for gas (to get to work and back) food to eat so you can stay healthy and work, and get some money for things you cant afford anyway, or if you bought them, you'd be in debt over purchasing them.

The work industry world wide no longer supports all of us with great jobs, decent wages, benefits, retirement and medical, and dreams of a nice house and nice car are for many unreachable BECAUSE their jobs are unsure as to whether they will even BE there next year...or in 5 years.

So when looking at that new car or 30 year mortgage for a home...its hard to even imagine you'll have a steady job that long any-where due to the economies, business closures and the amount of people like you...looking for work.

There are zillions of unemployed folks who would love to have yours and my jobs, and would do it for less money, no benefits, longer hrs etc....just to feed their kids.

My advice to you is if you already HAVE a job...keep it. Lose it? And you'll never know how long it'll take you to get another one....or even IF youll ever find another one.

Add to the cost of internet, phones, rent, gas, food, maintain housing, car repairs, insurance, utility bills, clothes etc, etc, etc.....these things EACH...all cost a lot more than in the old days. Some costs for living EACH as well...can be a weeks salary...just by themselves.

Stay healthy and dont quit your job....

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Education has absolutely nothing to do with it. It helps. But you're right. What we earn is our problem.
edit on 13-5-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is why I became nauseated watching your country celebrate the royal people who contribute nothing, murder diana, and laugh at you people

I'm glad my folks were able to give the beat down in 1776. Too bad the USA is going the way of England and we'll be in your situation shortly.
edit on 13-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think a lot of people coming on here and saying no free lunch and no entitlements miss the point.

I don't think it bothers him that he has to work .. it bothers him to get very little back from the work he inputs.

I dont' know about you but if I put in long hours, studying and effort into something and only get a fraction of what I put in back for my lively hood I would ask what are we working for as well

I think many of you are on this whole OMG YOU FEEL ENTITLED TO A GOOD LIFE STFU AND SUCK IT LIKE US OLD TIMERS.

Are you all union people?? cuz that is exactly how those people talk.. you get a bad schedule as a new kid and they say to suck it up since they had to put up with it.

seriously?? If you people like to get pounded all your life and treated like trash all your life that is fine.. y ou have been beaten into submission

it is good to see that some people can still see that it is all garbage.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The weekday same one two punch me first then you same bat time same bat channel

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You're working to pay for the car.

You're paying for the car to be able to go to work.

Next question.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

This is why I became nauseated watching your country celebrate the royal people who contribute nothing, murder diana, and laugh at you people

HuH?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join