It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Merikin priorities. No wunder ours kidz is stoopid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Judging by the title " Merikin priorities. No wunder ours kids is stoopid " it leads me to believe; despite the sports overtone, that..........

Ehhhh. Never mind.

edit on 13-5-2013 by PLASIFISK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by FortAnthem

But if we are all equipped with knowledge of the greatest game in the world, aren't we by default the greatest people in the world? You must be crazy if you don't believe that football is the gateway game to intelligence.

I wasn't aware Americans played Rugby

We need pads. A shame, really. To stay on topic, I'm not surprised
by this since the revenue the schools make from sports teams
eclipse the grant money for actual teaching of useful subjects.
"I would much rather have played for Wales at Cardiff Arms Park
than Macbeth at the Old Vic." Burton
. Well, marginally useful

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I graduated from high school a few years back, and all I have to say is that the vast majority of people I graduated with consider becoming a professional athlete more "successful" than anything; excluding movie stars, music artists, and celebrities, of course.

Oops, spoke out against Murica. Time for meh to get the eff out!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Coaches and teams don't generate revenue, they use the assets the state taxpayers allocates in a pointless distraction-entertainment-ponzi scheme.

Give any sound business investment $100s of millions to "generate revenue", and I'm sure they could exceed the revenue of a amatuer sports team....so sports isn't unique in that regard.

It's all an exercize in stupidity. "Team work", lol... how about thinking and working independently? Self-reliance, self-starting, PRACTICAL GOALS! All sports manages to do is entertain and brainwash dummies into a torrid state of ignorance.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It's called bread and circus and Rome learned thousands of years ago it was the way to keep the populace in line and the government in power.

Even as the republic collapsed there where people who had no idea what was happening... Sound familiar ?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
throwing money at education is not bad.. the allocation of the money however is extremely crucial.

everyone is too focused on sports to give a damn

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
It's called bread and circus and Rome learned thousands of years ago it was the way to keep the populace in line and the government in power.

Even as the republic collapsed there where people who had no idea what was happening... Sound familiar ?

I would have to agree. Also to note, so far most of the posts are Money, money, money. What the heck does that have to do with an educational system that is suppose to be paid for?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The dumbing down of not only Americans but Earth humans in general is the result of the entire secrecy-BASED concept of government and the shallow, vapid, soulless (etc.) media promotion of materialistic, narcissistic and superficial CRAPOLA (to use the scientific-clinical language). Just look at how MUSIC in particular has devolved in the last 2 or 3 decades. What happened to good melody and harmony? Basically everything has devolved. But who cares, right? We just need to keep up with the Kardashians and Duck Dynasty etc.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

You can put as much public money into education as you want, that is not the problem. The problem is the majority of people breeding are in fact stupid. Stupid people will breed stupid people until the point where the majority are stupid. Which is what we have today !

Its our attitude and approach to breeding that has to change, not the amount of public money spent. I still hear people say "its my right to have a child".......ummmmm NO IT ISN'T, having a child is a privilege, not a right. And while stupid people think it is their right, then they will continue to exercise their "right" instead of realising its a privilege.

Those who think its their right will have a child just because its their right, whereas someone that who thinks having a child is a privilege will only bring a child into the world when they know they can care for that child in the best way i.e. being financially secure, having a roof to live under, and having the child's best interests in mind, rather than their own interests and "rights".

Here in Australia I need a licence just to put a fishing line in the water, even if I don't catch a fish, yet ANY 2 people can just have a child. Now that is the ultimate in stupidity !

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
good thread. it´s the same in the country i live. most adults dont know to talk about anything else than football and encourage their kids to think one day they can be a famous soccer player or even better the coach.it just disgusts me. here they spend hundreds of millions to build football stadiums while hospitals are being closed.

people get genuinely distracted from their daily problems and violence and competitive materialistic thinking is cultivated.like soccer would be the meaning and center of life. little babies are indoctrinated still in their cribs with family members and neighbors screaming their clubs name to the baby so the first the poor kid blabbers is the name of their favorite soccer club.
okay little rant here. i officially hate football (or soccer or how you call it in america)
edit on 14-5-2013 by glowdog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Many times, sports pay for themselves and provides money for other departments. Think of the tuition if this money were not coming in. My son plays football and under school policy [ and mine ] he's not allowed to play if his grades fall. I know in college, players are given easy classes or just given passing grades without even going to class, but I think that's getting more rare. They're finally starting to realize not everyone goes pro and you have to have something to fall back on.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This isn't just a problem with education either.

Think of all the folks you know who can spout off all kinds of stats on their favorite teams or players but, if you ask who their congressman is, you get a blank stare. They follow fantasy football like its their religion but, when it comes to the guys making decisions that will directly impact their lives in big government, they haven't a clue or care.

Like the other posters have been saying; its all about bread and circuses to keep us distracted while Rome burns.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think the problem with education is not the fault of the education but the way it is taught. They need to refine and focus more, instead of this general crap.... i think by Grade 10(picking this grade from my experience), they should go into more focused learning... like Math would be divided into 3 sections(Engineering, Accounting and Physics), Science should as well(Biology, Chemistry)...

We do have those now, but it forces you to learn all. They should find a way to give the basics of all Sciences before grade 10.

edit on 5/14/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
While I do think coaches are a tad overpaid, they do bring in loads of money but why is it that the players can't make a dime while in college? They are the ones taking the risks and I have never gone to any game to see the coach.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Well Played.

— American that plays rugby

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Why are kids getting dumber and dumber? Because they hang with the wrong crowds, and lose interest in school. You could have the best teacher in front of them, but they'd rather be socializing with friends and smoking pot, than learning about some old ass, boring history. Thus blowing off school altogether and not giving a rat's ass. School becomes their social hangout, not a learning facility any longer. There was nothing wrong with the teachers at my schools; kids just would rather be off socializing and smoking pot, than sitting 8 hours in desk after desk, hearing lectures by 6 different people all day, day after day. Becomes a stale, repetitive experience.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

And you have a problem with football coaches making more than science teachers?

Best post I've seen today.

Absurd priorities.

Luckily I clicked the title. Even though I almost decided to not click on the thread because I thought it would contain no useful information and was going to be an entirely playful American bashing without substance.

But your football map contains a lot of substance and information. That map is total and complete insanity.

It contained a lot more useful information than your thread title indicated.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by FortAnthem
This one chart shows why, after all the money we toss into public education, our kids still keep getting dumber and dumber.

Ridiculous. American children are not getting "dumber and dumber." It's just that there are so many children these days there are more of them who are average. Just regular kids. And because there are more of them, it seems like there are less smart kids. But that's not true either, because the number of smart, braniac kids is larger, too. Why do you think the best colleges can ask for such incredibly high tuition? Because of supply and demand. There is no shortage of very bright kids going to excellent colleges.

The American economy and industry can't function if they're run by dopes. We have incredibly smart kids growing up to be incredibly smart adults developing and running insanely complicated companies and systems and being doctors and lawyers and accountants, etc.

Dumb person, heal thyself.

Do you talk to American children often? I think the 'braniacs' are definitely getting smarter, but the gap between the smart kids and the 'average' kids gets bigger every year. Additionally, you can say there are more kids who are average than before but this is likely an effect of consistently lowering standards for every grade until our education numbers didn't make us look like...well...what we are. I really want to believe that this is the America I learned about in my youth, but for all the intelligence that is supposed to be contained within, I interact with a whole lot of dolts on a daily basis. I want to be with you on this but I just see no evidence.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Although I think the average intellect is sinking, it isn't because of coaches. It's because the number of children being born to people who don't care about them is doubling every five years. When you talk to kids who were born to parents prepared for and enthusiastic about their arrival, they're quite bright. It's the kids who are not permitted to focus on play and creativity while feeling secure in their environment who drag down the average, and it isn't their fault. It's the fault of a culture focused on the mommy-as-god ideology which enables the selfish mother - it's practically an archetype in America. Once we're comfortable confronting the multiple wrongs precipitated by a subculture which is focused more on multiplying than on any form of accomplishment, we will begin to see the average becoming more average. Until then, just turn your heads away from the evolutionary eyesores and conform.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

And doesn't most of the money get put right back into sports?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join