It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spat At In London

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
First off I'm not from the UK and only visit London occasionally.

I was in London recently, the Shepherds Bush area, doing a gig with an English band who hire session musicians from time to time, of which I am one.

Whilst at the venue, late afternoon, doing our sound-check I decided during a break to pop out and grab a soft drink and some daylight/fresh air at one of the local convenience shops nearby. I didn't tell anybody I was leaving.

I left via a side door fire-exit which once closed could not be opened from the outside. I found a shop, got what I was looking for and headed back to the venue. I went to the main entrance and knocked on the door...no answer, the guys were all at the stage area, so I pulled out my phone and tried to call the drummer and get him to let me in. He wasn't answering either.

So I just stood and waited for a while by the main doors, and had a look around, chilling basically. The street was busy and lots of people were passing, lots of traffic etc. There seemed to be a lot of bearded men of eastern decent wearing white the robes and you associate with Muslim people.

After I short while i noticed one Asian bloke had stopped nearby and was staring at me with a frown, he was dressed in a long white robe, had a small white hat on the top of his head and a long black beard. I began to feel uncomfortable with this mans attention and pulled my phone out again and tried to call the drummer....no answer. I turned and banged on the door....no response. When I looked over my shoulder this guy was walking towards me, he was a large man, and he had what I can only describe as hatred in his eyes. I thought of walking away, but decided against retreat. He approached me with slow deliberation, and I thought to myself "this is not going to be nice". The man stopped about 4 feet away from me and started grumbling angry words in a language I didn't recognize, I tried to prepare myself for a physical assault of some kind. Then he leaned forward and spat at me. I managed to dodge his "golly" and blurted out something like "relax dude!" He began to move off but stopped every couple of steps as if he was going to come back towards me, still muttering angrily under his breath, still staring at me with maliciousness. I decided it was time for me to try the exit door I had left the building from, I walked around the corner, found the door and kicked it a few times, to be answered by one of the road crew, who happened to be a London guy. I told him of my little encounter and he laughed and said something to the effect of "being white and alone around here can get you into trouble".

Ok. I know people are going to call me racist, Islamophobe or whatever. Does anybody want to theorize why this man directed his angst towards me specifically? I was minding my own business, I don't look out of place in London with regards to my appearance, short hair, jeans, t-shirt, sneakers, jacket etc. I feel I was targeted because this guy didn't like non-Muslims, why? Well practically everybody within sight was dressed like him and it seems to be the most obvious reason for this behavior. He seemed to exude an extreme contempt for me to the point that I felt physically threatened, and was prepared to defend myself, can anybody explain to me why this is acceptable?(obviously it's not) The English guys I spoke to immediately after the event told me that it's quite common around that area and that I shouldn't have left the venue. I was astonished to hear that! In broad daylight being attacked for what??

The experience left me feeling angry, and yes to be honest I don't look at people dressed in Muslim garb without some suspicion since my experience. Any Londoners here who have had a similar encounter?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In all honestly I would put it down to a random crazy.
I can't even count the number of times I've been screamed at, threatened or just generally made to feel unsafe on the streets of London.
As far as I've noticed the people that have done it to me haven't been from any particular race or religion.

I've also walked around in Brick Lane (A place with a gigantic Bangladeshi community) wearing fairly outrageous clothes and acting in a fairly obnoxious way and have never had anyone say anything to me.

I know things like that can really niggle at the back of your brain but I would ask that you don't let a random idiot prejudice you against a larger group of people

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I lived in Shepheards Bush in 2000 for about six months. Never had any trouble. It wasn't the nicest area of London, but never felt threatened. Maybe its gone down hill.

The only place I've ever felt threatened in this country is Salford Manchester.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
yip sxxt happens you have to grow thick skin pretty quick in some areas of england i have been called white trash more than a few times on the tube etc and not just by muslims

but dont let the twats win as there is scum in every society just stick a big smile on your face and be polite as hell that always knocks them .once in birmingham a shopkeeper took his family out to meet me saying to them this is the man who says please and thank you .

he told me later that i was the first white person who had ever said good morning to him and thanked him that was a shock to me . welcome to the ununited kingdom bud ?? happy thoughts

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A story I posted on another board last year.

The wife and I were sat at a nice hotel overseas by the pool having a breakfast buffet. A man of middle eastern decent approx 30 years old 6' 3" slender with sandals on was outside and I caught him staring at me a few times while I was up getting various entries to eat.

My wife is very pretty and it is not unusual for someone to check me out while probably wondering what is a nice girl like her doing with someone like me? No brag just fact.

I was setting a few tables over and all of a sudden he walks up to my table and grabs the ash tray and puts his cigarette out.( Weird his table had an ashtray) I looked up and he said something in either Farsi or Arabic??..I looked at him and said sorry but I do not speak your language..He said something else and while looking at him again I told him, "I did not understand".

He then said in English, "Maybe you understand when I say I beat your a$$"!

Not many years ago he would have never known what hit him. I never have been one to take the first punch and the idiot was standing so close to where I was sat that to put him down would have been a fairly simple "THANG" to do. Again no brag just fact.

I got to my feet so fast that it took him off guard and he still had not raised his arms to protect himself. The woman who was with him had a look of terror or fear on her face and that might be one of the reasons I did what I did..dunno maybe I am to old and just chicken anymore?

Unresolved conflict to this day. A good memory is a curse sometimes......

What did I do??

I walked inside and told the manager what had happened and he sent two waitresses outside and collected our food and we ( OK the wife did) enjoyed our meal inside.

I was not happy for a few days; something nagged at me as though there was unfinished business....

My wonderful wife in her wisdom said the guy was drunk. Evidently he had been drinking all night according to the woman who was with him.... The woman had apologized to my wife.

My wife was glad I did not do something to him. I told her (wife) I was not happy and that I really wanted to mess him up. Mess him up is probably an understatement?

She said, "look at the sky and the beautiful color today. Look at all the people going about their daily chores on the street; is you hand sore or do you have some injury from doing something with that idiot? He was not worth your time or the chance of you being hurt. I am glad we finished our breakfast for I was hungry"!

Women are so practical!

I think because I have been a CHL and my thinking has become more CHL over the years I do not seek out problems or problem children to demonstrate my manhood........?.

I have no doubt I could have put him down and he would have needed to be carried out; ( ego??) again it is something I think I would have really enjoyed doing (still)!! Being violent has its' rewards; if you win......Losers are well, losers....

Kinda like teaching a lesson to an animal whose attention you have to get before the learning process can begin.
Well, got my attention very quickly.
I know it was handled where no one was hurt and other than a couple of my life's minutes spent on unpleasantness all is well. But the nagging occasionally still rears it's ugly head.

I tell this story for therapy and to point out things can go from a pleasant experience to a handful of crapolla in a heart beat. Who would have thought a beautiful morning and pleasant company could turn into a bad memory?

I spend a good part every year overseas and this was the first time in many years I have been confronted by a drunk or young man wanting to prove himself....I probably should not have posted this because it makes me want to go hit........Golf Balls....!
I am sorry you went through that or anyone has to be confronted that way. I have a few Expat British friends overseas who have chose to leave their England; some for the very reason of your post.

edit on 13-5-2013 by 727Sky because: ll

edit on 13-5-2013 by 727Sky because: spelling

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Welcome to the new England.

In certain areas of Britain or specifically England there are areas that you simply don't go to if you a white person. It's a shame we were stupid enough to allow it to happen, but it has.

The town next to where I live is a Muslim haven and has had 9 shootings in gang related violence this year alone. It isn't that I'm afraid to go there, but I do avoid the more radical and poorer areas.

We have our radicals as well unfortunately and can only apologise if you felt uncomfortable in my country.

Cody

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sad.
My visit to the UK was one of warmth. My Cousin married a girl from England who I (and everyone in our family) very much like. We have a blast insulting each other over spelling, calling a windshield a "windscreen" ("we invented the car"I would say "so we get to name the parts." - "WE" invented the language" shew would reply "so # off Yank" lololol) and calling the bathroom to "loo".

Anyhow, years ago (before 911) my wife and I traveled back to England to visit her parents and then make a trip over to Amsterdam and Rotterdam (a trip I cannot discuss on this site, lolz) and I thought the English were the friendliest people I had ever met... Was like the "South" (in the US) is SUPPOSED to be.

Very sad to hear your experiences. Things are changing everywhere (for the worse...)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I had a two day stop over in London on business last year. A friend of mine lives in an area with a high concentration of Pakistanis. As soon as I entered the area I was getting stared at by quite a lot of men who looked exactly as you describe. They were staring at me while making phone calls on their cell phones. About 1/8 mile from my friends flat a group of 4 approached me. Al wearing white ankle length shirts and white skull caps. I'm 6'4" and 235 lbs, I know how to handle myself, but being outnumbered is being outnumbered. It's never like the movies. Everyone piles in at once with fists and feet. Basically they asked what I was doing there and where I was going. I said I'm meeting a friend that I haven't seen in years. Because I have a beard (not long, but about a number.4 on an adjustable electric razor) they asked where I was from. Since I have an American accent I said the states. They then asked if I practiced Islam. Two of them looked very stern when the "leader" asked this, while the 4th seemed to just be following along. I decided at that point to dupe them. I said I was. They replied that I was lying because I was white and that I sounded American. I said I am American, and in an effort to dupe them again, I said my family are Albanians (who happen to be one of the few white and Muslim nations) Their tone seemed to immediately change and they replied, "alright, mate, we're just trying to make sure we keep the community pure, you understand", I think my beard helped my lie.

When I got to my friend's place. He started laughing. He said, he was sorry that he forgot to tell me they all seem to go out walking and flood the streets during the golden hour (the hour before sunset). He went on to say they don't bother him much because he's a familiar face, but he has had encounters. This was about 8 months ago, my friend has since moved to Brighton on the south coast.

The last time I was in the UK was 2006 and the difference in demographics was night and day.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It's hard not to let that little incident color my perception. I mean I was standing there for 3 minutes before this guy came towards me, what are the odds?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There are a-holes everywhere...

If i let one incident damaging my perception of the rest of the race, i would not have a decent job right now or good friends.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Galvatron

I have a beard and it didn't seem to be of any use to me that day!

The time was about the same, evening, sun going down. And yes, there were a bout 4 others standing off at a distance watching what was going on.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

I have some good friends who are English, and I don't view this as an issue of nationality, more of creed. The guy in my story may have been living in England but he was not an English person in my mind.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

It's hard not to let that little incident color my perception.

Just stay in London a bit more until you have been abused by someone of each and every race, religion. and colour. That will even out any coloration of perception.
About a month of hanging out in Camden high street should achieve that in my experience

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Don't apologize for the behavior of a wanker who happens to reside in your country mate.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Theres parts of Glasgow that are predominantly Pakistani communities, dont matter if you are from there, if your not one of them i.e white or asian, friday, saturday night, your on your own, steamin drunk your gonna get done in. Simple as that.
edit on 13-5-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I don't know what 'race' this guy was, and he didn't know what 'race' I am(Irish). This was in my opinion a Muslim/Non-muslim issue, I'm not afraid to say it, that's how it felt.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I felt the same way. They brought up that I was white, but they didn't care after it seemed to them that I was Muslim. It seemed more of a Muslim/non-Muslim thing. Funny enough, one of my best friends in the US is Iranian, he doesn't practice any religion. Iran literally means "Aryan" or white. My friend informed me that some areas of Iran have people that could pass for Irish, as they have very freckly skin, auburn to dirty blonde hair and hazel to blue eyes. It really isn't about race and it really is about religion. I have a funny feeling that people on this board are going to view it as racism, though.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I've done my fair share of street, I have been a cycle courier, a skateboarder and a busker in Dublin city center over the years, and I've come across and dealt with all sorts of crazy people. But never in my life have I been on the receiving end of hatred simply because I was of a different creed, even though this bloke knew absolutely nothing about what creed I was except I wasn't the same as him.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I would not care, who or what he is, i wa sjust pointing out not to brush everyone in same brush, most people tend t do that.

But if i were in your shoes, i would have went on the offensive, but if he was a big guy, i would have some trouble.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join