It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's center is out of sync!! Who would have thought?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
phys.org...

(Phys.org) —We all know that the Earth rotates beneath our feet, but new research from ANU has revealed that the center of the Earth is out of sync with the rest of the planet, frequently speeding up and slowing down.

"It's stunning to see that even 10, 20 or 30 years apart, these earthquakes look so similar. But each pair differs very slightly, and that difference corresponds to the inner core. We have been able to use that small difference to reconstruct a history of how the inner core has rotated over the last 50 years," he said.

I am always amazed at some of the thinking for experiments to investigate earth science. If this is validated what insights will it give us to the inner workings of the earth and what will it mean for us who live on Earth's crust? Myself I figured everything turned in sync so how does the core, mantel , or crust end up at different speeds?? ..... Interesting

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Here is some info

The crust and upper mantle form the lithosphere,
which is broken up into several plates that float on top of the hot molten mantle below.

The crust thickness averages about 18 miles (30 kilometers) under the continents,
but is only about 3 miles (5 kilometers) under the oceans. It is light and brittle and can break.
In fact it's fractured into more than a dozen major plates and several minor ones.
It is where most earthquakes originate.

The mantle is more flexible – it flows instead of fractures.
It extends down to about 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) below the surface.

The core consists of a solid inner core and a fluid outer core.
The fluid contains iron, which, as it moves, generates the Earth’s magnetic field.

Tfw.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Wow they figured that out now ?

It is painfully obvious that the earth core is not in sync with the rest of the planet, how else would it be able to produce the magnetic field if there was no friction. And further more, if there was no difference in momentum, the earth would physically stop turning every time the iron core stops and reverses every couple thousand years when it does it's pole reversal thing.

Duh.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Of course our rock is out of sync. Look at her children, we are nowhere in sync with ourselves. The distractions abound, why connect on a personal level with mankind and nature when there are new Nike shoes out and Jennifer aniston blah blah blah.

We are the earth, and our consciousness or lack thereof directly affects it's entire being, or something like that. No time to chat, jersey real world gang bang drunk fest season three is on! Where's my cheesy poofs?!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

I actually know that but thanks for posting...yep hard to believe I know somethings, sometimes, by my post, I know.....To me, after 4.5 billion years, my common sense of things would have thought everything would be spinning consistently at the same rate...According to the article I was wrong; so much for my common sense, no?....What was very strange was the core speeds up and slows down...now, whats the cause and effect.....Weird.

top topics

join