It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have just lost control of our food supply . . .

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

First we had the Monsanto Protection Act, which basically gives Monsanto free reign over creating genetically modified seeds. If that wasn't enough, we now have a fresh hot-off-the-press, but barely publicized Supreme Court ruling that if a farmer grows using Monsanto seed, he cannot save some of the crop he grew to sew the next season because . . . get this . . . Monsanto owns the patent to those seeds.

Forgive me if this is an ignorant statement but I say "Awesome" I hope any farmers who use any monsanto products suffer in some way or another. My family owns around 300 acres of prime farm land in NW IA( a small farm by todays measure). Alot of the farmers around there farm at least as "organicaly" as they can. We do not use monsanto seed and you can tell the people that do becasue instead of the proper genus name listed as the crop being produced they have plant stake names like B-2334glh and CX-3344.

When it comes to monsanto and thier protection acts and extremism, it seems that soon the only recourse we will have against them is extremism its self. I could go for some "Home grown Terror" and it seems that's the only recourse we are going to have left to us.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

I can't help but wonder if the mass Bee die offs we are hearing about lately, are not related.

Fruit trees are huge producers of - food = income...
The seed vaults we have all heard about can only be a back - up.

Maybe for if the Monsanto initiative fails ? I hope not.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad
But because glyphosate can be made by anybody now, Monsatan wont sell you the seed alone, you have to buy a certain amount of glyphosate and fertilizer from them when you buy the seed.

Is this true?
Because that would constitute an illegal tying practice.

Actually, this was bought before the courts some years ago, and it was decided that it wasnt tying, because the scenario you mention didnt happen and wasnt true.

So... has this changed?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I don't buy Monsatan seed and dont know anyone who does so I don't know first hand but this is what I have heard.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This isn't losing control of our food supply. Frankenstein spider dna crapola is not my food. Its their creation and farmers need to grow only heritage food and also organic.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Yeah I heard this from my brother, then i started doing research into permaculture, something i believe all farmers should look into, to make their soil fertile again and there would be no need from Monsanto seeds, i think it's time farmers and the local populace should start making their own laws towards food, the only reason Monsanto is getting away with this because they have been getting away with this since the middle ages
agriculture" wise", plus it will give the LORD more power to domesticate us.

Lord: a word that comes from the creation of agriculture, meaning the person that controls food.

It's time our parks become food parks, front lawns and back yards need to be food gardens, just they way the First Nations did it.

edit on 14-5-2013 by XaniMatriX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Everyone concerned with this should also watch the documentary, "Farmageddon". Monsanto and the DOJ patenting genetics and forcing industrial farmers to use their seeds only, in coordination with the FDA and USDA raiding and shutting down small private organic family farms, is the death nail in our nation's ability to ward of tyranny and destruction. If people cannot feed themselves, and do so with healthy food, they cannot challenge much less resist these encroaching powers.

Super sad and disturbing.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XaniMatriX

Permaculture is the way! I'm sold on it... it is a truly positive and productive revolutionary force that not only resists the 'evil' forces on a collective level but also simultaneously helps to secure our individual autonomy. ATS should really open a sub-forum dedicated solely to Permaculture.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks
reply to post by XaniMatriX

Permaculture is the way! I'm sold on it... it is a truly positive and productive revolutionary force that not only resists the 'evil' forces on a collective level but also simultaneously helps to secure our individual autonomy. ATS should really open a sub-forum dedicated solely to Permaculture.

They really should, plus all these Monsanto policies only effect farmers and their land, but what if the land is just a food garden, they can't touch that, it's a garden
(they might find a way)

If there are farmers on this site, here is a link to a nice Permaculture speech.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-5-2013 by XaniMatriX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Who wants to grow GM crops anyway?

Just grow organic! It might be the end of GM, but not the food chain in general!

You're going a bit OTT on this OP!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Honestly, stop worrying about and go to a farmer's market. If everyone did, Monsanto would die.More and more people ARE doing this. I've been making most of my own food for a few years now because I will NOT eat GMO.

I'm a little tired of people saying, "Monsanto has control!" They have ONLY the control you give them by continuing to buy their products. So yes, that's right, give up your Coke and packaged cookies and about 80% of the rest of the stuff you find in a supermarket, and STOP feeding Monsanto. I used to LIVE on processed food. I don't now. There are lots of things you can still buy from the store, and for the ones you can't, make it yourself. Support your local farmers.

What's the point of ranting against Monsanto, turning off your computer and going to the store to buy their products?

Let me also remind everyone that if you've got any investments like RSP etc. and you're saving for retirement chances might be that you're investing in Monsanto stock. Might want to check into that.
edit on 14-5-2013 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb
Honestly, stop worrying about and go to a farmer's market. If everyone did, Monsanto would die.More and more people ARE doing this. I've been making most of my own food for a few years now because I will NOT eat GMO.

I'm a little tired of people saying, "Monsanto has control!" They have ONLY the control you give them by continuing to buy their products. So yes, that's right, give up your Coke and packaged cookies and about 80% of the rest of the stuff you find in a supermarket, and STOP feeding Monsanto. I used to LIVE on processed food. I don't now. There are lots of things you can still buy from the store, and for the ones you can't, make it yourself. Support your local farmers.

What's the point of ranting against Monsanto, turning off your computer and going to the store to buy their products?

Let me also remind everyone that if you've got any investments like RSP etc. and you're saving for retirement chances might be that you're investing in Monsanto stock. Might want to check into that.
edit on 14-5-2013 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

But that is still supporting Agriculture, which gives people like Monsanto the power they have now, and among other negative impacts, drought and famine to name the few, plus agriculture kills the soil, it's time for permaculture!!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

but in some areas gmo crops cross polintate non gmo crops with out farmers knowing and gmo companies find out they will have your crop seized and destroyed and yu might be fined.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I still don't understand. Why don't farmers sue Monsanto for polluting their crops? If I'm a farmer and I grow "non-GMO" crops, and their product infects my crop, they just destroyed my business. I'd sue the crap out of them.

I think there needs to be the largest class action law suit against Monsanto the world has ever known.
edit on 5/15/2013 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I don't think the OP fully illustrated the harm of this judgment

The real problem with the ruling is that when farmers using Monsanto seed sell their seed at the elevator, its gets mixed in with non-monsanto seed, effectively polluting non-patented seed with patented seed. This mixing of seed coupled with this ruling effectively prevents all farmers from buying seed from elevator.

So now all Monsanto has to do is make sure that one farmer pollutes an elevator with monsanto seed and monsanto can effectively prevent all other farmers from buying seed from that elevator. The Supreme Court made a huge error in judgment in this case and the collateral damage from this decision is enormous. This decision is going to cause harm to innocent people every where in the country.

The real problem in this case is that Monsanto has no control over its product, it blows in the wind, carried by birds, spread by insects. If there was ever a true to life example of a patent falling into the public domain, this is it. There need to be protections against his type of patent abuse and when a company permits its patented material to mix with nonpatented material to the point where the average consumer can't tell one from another, it becomes a fungible and right then and there the patent protections should end.

This case is just one more reason why franken food needs to be separated out and labeled. Franken food needs to be labelled for the consumer and Monsanto needs separate elevators to handle their crops to prevent polluting the seed supply and the food supply.
edit on 15-5-2013 by dieseldyk because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2013 by dieseldyk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It will come down to profit margins, and people that grow Monsanto will make more money and eliminate the traditionally grown crops and farms that produce them. I hope we will see a surge in people growing their own produce inside their own homes, through use of things like the aero garden. It's cheap easy and we can produce better tasting organic heirloom vegetables pretty much on demand. But you have to have enough space to use it, and a lot of people don't own the roof over their own heads. We'll have to get creative if we want to continue to sell organic produce, probably have to refer to them as house plants rather than food items, I'm sure there will be loopholes as lawmakers aren't going to want to consume gm foods if they continue to create massive tumors in lab animals.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
And somewhere in a parallel world, Otnasnam isn't trampling farmers with lawyers, instead opting to accept ten percent of the produce it makes, all Old Testament like.

That's what Monsanto is behaving like - a kingdom. "You there, peasant, don't you know that these are the king's seeds? This is corn for nobility, not peasants." It sounds like one of my past lives in Europe where I was desperate to feed my family, and some noble-types came around and offered me two sacks of corn (it wasn't corn, but barleycorn; I'm not an idiot, naysayers, corn wasn't in Europe yet) in exchange for putting to death some old man. So in the past life I did the deed and came back for the corn, and the noble-types denied me on a royal technicality, that peasants like me couldn't have corn like that. That was closer to the Dark Ages, but not much has changed has it?

Since I've been born Monsanto has been doing deals with politicians globally in order for the nations to have crops and have food industry. I think Rumsfeld was the person who was my resource for knowing about that global training farm, and a boatload of other things. They train human populations into all being together. Same food, same vaccines, same money, same vehicles. Separate loci of control in various land masses. They graduate people up through generations, like the rats they experimented on in the laboratory.

So when there is farmer persecution because this farmer took several generations of crops when he only paid for one, what is that? Seasonal membership to the farmer club? I have a hard time believing it's just for the money, or just for the control. There is some very heavy anti-freedom there. But I get it because Monsanto doesn't want 8 generations of the same plant. It wants to up the genetic control maybe after the 4th or 5th generation, but it's not telling the people on the land this.

The governments are out of citizen control, not the food supply. Monsanto is out of control, not the food.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
one day stores like this will be no more!!!; for that will become fact , do to the fact , you will have to buy, and will only have GMO seeds to buy www.burpee.com... from the link

About Our Seeds
Burpee is America’s most trusted supplier of vegetable and flower seeds, offering only the best-of-the-best open-pollinated and hybrid varieties to our customers. As we have done for the past 135 years, Burpee provides its customers with the latest varieties that offer improved yield and disease resistance. Not only do we offer an extensive line of new hybrid and tried and true heirloom seeds, we also serve our organic garden customers by offering a vast selection of certified organic varieties that are produced in compliance with all USDA and State organic guidelines.

Burpee takes great pride and care in supplying safe seeds to our customers. All seeds sold under the Burpee name are never chemically treated, making them well-suited for sustainable gardens. None of Burpee’s seed varieties are GMO. In fact, we’ve never sold GMO seed and have no intention of selling GMO seed in the future. For more information on Burpee’s safe, GMO-free seeds, please click here.
so i did and here is the link that comes up www.burpee.com... it is a long, long, read so in short' here is the opening of it

Burpee, GMO And Monsanto Rumors Put To Rest
By George Ball - Burpee Chairman and CEO

I and others at Burpee are asked occassionally about our alleged connection to Monsanto and whether we sell GMO seed. We have even been accused of being owned by Monsanto on the Internet. I’ve decided to address these questions and false allegations formally with the hopes that someone out there in cyberspace may refer back to this post for information on these issues—straight from the source.

For the record, I own W. Atlee Burpee & Co. Burpee is NOT owned by Monsanto. We do purchase a small number of seeds from the garden seed department of Seminis, a Monsanto subsidiary, and so do our biggest competitors. We do NOT sell GMO seed, never have in the past, and will not sell it in the future.

I should say I am not in any way linked to the Co, nor it's member's, the only way I am linked to them is I do buy there seeds when I find them in a out let store ie Homedepot, westerngardens and only them seeds or plants!!!; and i do not use any type of Chem!!!, just dirt and table scrape/ yard waste mulch the only problem is keeping the critters, ducks, chickens, ,a dog and the neighbors cats and kids eating them before i do. this year there on my front porch. I ,might get one or 2 to my self

edit on 16-5-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
now what not to buy if your looking for GMO free seeds here is one www.seminis.com... and whom are they linked with www.monsanto.com... Why am i not for GMO seeds or grown veges?; well the GMO is a bug killing organism that makes the bug Stomach explode if ti does that to bug what doe sit do to you!!

Is there a link to all the deformity and rise to health problems: Alzheimer's, Cancers, Obesity, and other types of problems that have seen a major increase. there might be but would they tell you???

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Monsa to is evil. My est friend owns a farm in Kansas where he grows wheat. He grows Monsanto and hates them. I asked why not grow normal wheat. Turns out that if he doesnt grow Monsanto then the dept of agriculture or the USDA won't give him his farmi g subsidies. Plus they will flat out refuse to fix his irrigation like they promised. Pretty sure Monsanto OWNS the dept of agriculture. Itsmajor corruption!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join