It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Drone Crashes Into Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is from March 2012 but I do not see any threads that discuss it according to my search.

I have a feeling that we will be hearing about similar incidents going forward...

The Montgomery County (Texas) Sheriff's Office had a big day planned. After becoming the first department in the country with its own aerial drone ($300,000!), they were ready for a nice photo op. And then the drone crashed into a SWAT team.

The Examiner reports a painfully contrived police action-athon:

As the sheriff's SWAT team suited up with lots of firepower and their armored vehicle known as the "Bearcat," a prototype drone from Vanguard Defense Industries took off for pictures of all the police action. It was basically a photo opportunity, according to those in attendance.

"[The] prototype drone was flying about 18-feet off the ground when it lost contact with the controller's console on the ground. It's designed to go into an auto shutdown mode...but when it was coming down the drone crashed into the SWAT team's armored vehicle."

Not only did the drone fail, and not only did it crash, it literally crashed into the police. It's no wonder we're not able to find a video of this spectacular publicity failure. Luckily, the SWAT boys were safe in their Bearcat.

gizmodo.com...

The original article from The Examiner which the Gizmodo article cites has since been taken down so here is another link ... now.msn.com...

Personally, I would not feel safe having drones flying over me regardless if they are armed or not as this incident is proof that the technology is faulty, even if it's due to user error. Do you really want amateurs who have next to zero experience operating these things flying them over your community?

Imagine if it crashed into a mother's day parade or a school picnic instead? I know the odds of this happening are low but this "malfunction" proves that it certainly is possible. I am afraid to even think of what it's going to be like when they finally decide to arm these things as well which in my opinion probably isn't that far away if you look how things have been going lately.

As the article mentions, it's kind of odd that we have no footage of this happening since it happened during an actual photo-op. I think it's safe to say that this photo-op went horribly wrong.

edit on 5/13/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

They should take that as an omen. In no way is having drones and militarizing police going to end well.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

They should take that as an omen. In no way is having drones and militarizing police going to end well.

I have always thought this to be true, but this exact incident should certainly be considered as a warning/omen against these drones and militarizing our police forces.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Thanks for the link...the search function hates me

Oh, what have I ever done to you Mr./Mrs. search engine to deserve such faulty search results?

Mods please delete thread

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Oh man, how awesome would the footage be.

Surley someones got it

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
haha this is to great, even better then the drone spying on a shooting thing and gets shot down, if it didnt come down that day i wonder how long it would have been before someone shot it down?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
why no pictures!?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Loss of privacy, loss of freedom, loss of accountability, loss of ill-invested tax-payer dollars.

And sadly, no loss of swine....

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

That sounds about right.

Thats about the level of competency we trust with dealing with our lives on a daily basis.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

"Police Drone Crashes Into Police"?
First time I've really smiled all day.

Thanks!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
wooooooo! check out my new plane!

The drones will get really scary when they are automated. I also think that it is only a matter of time before automated robotic police are patrolling the streets. Anyone who thinks this is a sci-fi fantasy should consider how much of our current technology was once a sci-fi fantasy. Imagine those malfunctions.

RoboCop: CITIZEN, SURRENDER YOUR WEAPON
Citizen: What? I don't have a weapon.
RoboCop: CITIZEN, DISARM OR FORCE WILL BE APPLIED, YOU HAVE THREE SECONDS TO COMPLY.
Citizen: oh wtf man, I don't have a weapon! It's just a baseball bat!
RoboCop: TWO........
Citizen: Ugh, This is ridiculous. We're at a BATTING CAGE FFS!
RoboCop: ONE.........YOU HAVE BEEN ELECTRICALLY SUBDUED. REMAIN CALM. IF YOU CONTINUE TO RESIST YOU WILL RECEIVE ADDITIONAL ELECTRIC SHOCKS
Children: DADDY NO!!!! STOP HURTING HIM
RoboCop: (turns towards children) CITIZEN, YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH AN OFFICIAL POLICE MATTER. SURRENDER YOUR WEAPON

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I am sensing some poetic irony here (deus ex machina?).

top topics

join