It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novel coronavirus infection updates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Hello. As this is my first thread on ATS, please forgive any mistakes that might appear.

Yesterday I posted on a coronavirus thread that wondered about this virus appearing in the US. I searched and there was no thread dedicated to this infection and developments. I hope it's ok if I post here.

First I'd like to point out that I don't have any medical studies, so if fellow ATS members with medical background spot an error, please do correct it, Also, all of you, please feel free to update and offer your insights on this matter.

The Novel Coronavirus

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that includes viruses that may cause a range of illnesses in humans, from the common cold to SARS. Viruses of this family also cause a number of animal diseases. Novel coronavirus This particular strain of coronavirus has not been previously identified in humans. There is very limited information on transmission, severity and clinical impact with only a small number of cases reported thus far.

Source: www.who.int...

The latest WHO update is dated 12 May, and informs there are now 34 laboratory confirmed cases of nCoV human infection, with 18 deaths (!):

From September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a global total of 34 laboratory confirmed cases of human infection with nCoV, including 18 deaths. Based on the current situation and available information, WHO encourages all Member States to continue their surveillance for severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and to carefully review any unusual patterns. Health care providers are advised to be vigilant among recent travelers returning from areas affected by the virus who develop severe SARI. Specimens from patients’ lower respiratory tracts should be obtained for diagnosis where possible. Clinicians are reminded that nCoV infection should be considered even with atypical signs and symptoms in patients who are significantly immune compromised.

Full update can be read here: www.who.int...

At the end of this post, here's the current status (not sure if 100% correct, though) for countries with confirmed nCoV infections:

Jordan - 2 cases
Qatar - 2
Saudi Arabia - 25
UK - 2
UAE - 1
France - 2

Stay safe!

Edit: it seems there is a topic involving a CDC warning about coronavirus. It was hard to spot between all h7n9 and mistery illnesses threads. So I guess now it's up to the mods to see if they can let this thread be

edit on 13-5-2013 by negue because: added info

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by negue

I am unsure about the rest of the countries, but 4 cases confirmed in the UK, two of them have since died of the illness.

The UK has had four cases, two of whom died.

A statement from the WHO added: "Of most concern, however, is the fact that the different clusters seen in multiple countries increasingly support the hypothesis that when there is close contact this novel coronavirus can transmit from person-to-person."

news.sky.com...

Not only is it spreading, but it appears to be spreading due to human to human transmission.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thank you for your post.

The WHO only had 2 UK cases mentioned on their 8 May update here www.who.int...

I remember reading about 1 case from Saudi Arabia being flown to UK for better treatment. That could be one of the deaths reported.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
My health/disease tracking site only came back with this for your virus..

11 investigated for H7N9, 24 for novel coronavirus; none positive

It's not much, but it's current. For some reason, they don't rate this virus as important enough to carry it's own category?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If I read that right, it's the Singapore status. Thank you for your post.

Well, the WHO people already granted big coverage of this new coronavirus on their site. Out of 4 most recent "Disease Outbreak News", 3 are nCoV updates:
www.who.int...

News about this infection, from other reliable sources:
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.reuters.com...

Officials stated that close contact is needed for this infection to transmit. I assume family/colleagues/medical staff.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Another interesting virus evolving. There was rarely any testing of the public on viruses in the past. You either had a cold or the flu before depending on whether you had a fever or not. I bet half of those colds and flu deaths through the years were not just flues and colds. There is rarely any verification done at all in the general public, the tests are expensive and our insurances are also too expensive as it is. After I die, It doesn't really matter to me what killed me because a dead person would have no real interest in that

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by negue

Thanks for the sources.
I'm actually surprised my disease tracking site doesn't have this as it's own thing.

World Wide Disease Outbreaks / News

They seem to track almost everything else in the nasty side of nature.

*I always say this when sharing that link on here...tho folks posting on this thread surly know it already. For anyone else? Don't flip on the activity that shows. It ALWAYS looks like that and the "horrible horrible" diseases it shows in active cases around the world ...always have active cases somewhere, as a general rule. It takes some getting used to, for some who have never seen a listing like that before.

edit on 13-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Dont we have troops in some of thse places?
Say maybe 20000 in Jordan awaiting the Syran invasion?
Makes a better chance to spread such things dont it?
Perhaps we are putting the" homeland" at risk with these empire building adventures

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

(Reuters) - Saudi Arabia has confirmed four new cases of the SARS-like novel coronavirus in its Eastern Province, state media reported late on Monday, citing the health ministry.

Source: in.reuters.com...

And I just watched a doctor from Lille (where the 2 infections in France happened) saying the current antivirals do not have effects on this novel coronavirus.

PS Thank you for s&f!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
2 new updates from World Health Organization, both regarding Saudi Arabia.

The first is dated 14 May:

14 MAY 2013 - The Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia has informed WHO of an additional four laboratory-confirmed cases with infection of the novel coronavirus (NCoV).

Full update here: www.who.int...

And the second is dated 15 May 2013:

15 MAY 2013 - The Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia has informed WHO of an additional two laboratory-confirmed cases with infection of the novel coronavirus (nCoV). The two patients are health care workers who were exposed to patients with confirmed nCoV. The first patient is a 45-year-old man who became ill on 2 May 2013 and is currently in a critical condition. The second patient is a 43-year-old woman with a coexisting health condition, who became ill on 8 May 2013 and is in a stable condition.

Full update can be found here: www.who.int...

I underlined the phrase, because the same update says it's the first time health care workers have been infected after exposure to patients.

Stay safe everyone!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by negue

Thanks for the update

This is certainly worthy of keeping an eye on.

You stay safe as well.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hi!
Does anyone know any sites where some info about gov pandemia protocols are available? I've checked f.e.m.a. though not convincing.
US and European protocols could be quite similar, I guess.
It would be interesting to have an idea about how long it would take govs, prior to a pandemia scenario is declared, to firmly force people to remain in their houses and not moving from. Probably many people will not like the idea to be imprisoned in their own home ... if "something" gets out of control.
:-|

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 13thLevel

This site may have some helpful information

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by negue

I posted on another thread concerning this new virus because of husband arriving back from the Middle East next week & how I might quarantine him. But that thread disappeared?

Here is the latest from the CDC, for what it's worth...the 50% fatality rate is somewhat alarming if the data are correct:

www.cdc.gov...

Although not fool-proof, I do hope that they will do fever screenings for those incoming from the effected areas...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thank you for contributing to this thread. If we're to think "no news is good news", we should be happy the WHO has not issued any new nCoV updates in the last 3 days.

I have no idea how to quarantine somebody coming from that area, I'm thinking the CDC should be able to answer that question.

Also, I believe the same CDC has protocols for when/if to declare pandemic, curfews and other movement control measures.

Thanks for s&fs!

As always, please do share any verifiable info and/or other valuable inputs to this thread.

Stay safe everyone!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 13thLevel

This is the link for the US Army Medical Research Institute of Incectious Diseases, if anyone has the info it will be them.

www.usamriid.army.mil...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
1 more confirmed infection in Saudi Arabia:

www.who.int...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You guys have to remember that these small numbers are confirmed cases, not all the cases. Very few of the cases of sickness get tested for the coronavirus in the real world. For every one confirmed case there could be thousands out there. I don't think that the doctors around here would test their sick patients for this coronavirus strain, it would not be cost effective unless the illness was very severe. I think this disease is out there and for most people it is just another stomach flu that they fight on their own..

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
2 new WHO updates in the last couple of days.

22 May - Tunisia confirms 2 cases and 1 possible infection:
www.who.int...

and 23 May - Saudi Arabia notifies of one more case, a fatal one:
www.who.int...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
A death from the MERS virus has been reported in France

23 out of 44 of the infected have died.

www.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join