It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are working and too BROKE to buy groceries PLEASE READ THIS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff you and I could shop together!

I shop this way and I stock my pantry this way as well. IF I see things like pasta or canned goods are BOGO I buy them even if I don't need them. I am always stocked that way. My fiancee is amazed at how I can make 100 bucks look like I spent 200. I grew up with my mom on a food budget so I learned how to shop smart and make it last!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
As much as I hate it, there are times we end up eating fast food because we are travelling and everyone is starving. Order off the DOLLAR MENU. You can get the same amount of food (if you can call it that) for HALF the price.

Look for printable coupons on the internet for fast food. I saved $8 on 2 breakfast egg sandwiches and a chicken wrap (big enough for two people) this past weekend, because we were travelling.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Didnt say she was complaining.Im ok now that I'm grown and away from my worthless parents. It was a struggle but last year I broke even and this year I opened my own business.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

. how did you survive if you starved during your childhood? this is bad advice.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Want to piggyback the crock pot thing. Its the easiest way of cooking for all cook newbies. You can even show your competent kids how to do it. They can create wonderful and complex tasting dishes with minimal effort. The end result will be a huge confidence boost paving the way to their culinary cuisines.

Your overall advice seems sound. The fridge scraps idea is a practical one.

...BUT, you didn't mention the hwhite trash staple, the casserole. When it comes to ultimate recycling of scraps, it is embodied in the casserole.

Oddly enough, the casserole is very icebox safe. It'll keep for months once it's placed in the deep freezer.

Much luck,
-CN

The white trash casserole. Take 4 strips of bacon-fry it until crispy, reserving the fat and remove the bacon. Take your left over meat, dice it up, add to rendered bacon fats. Fry till good. Drain any liquids from your vegetables. Place the meat with bacon fat into a casserole. Toss in your drained veggies. Toss in nuked and diced potatoes if wanted.
edit on 14-5-2013 by ChuckNasty because: casserole

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty
Want to piggyback the crock pot thing. Its the easiest way of cooking for all cook newbies. You can even show your competent kids how to do it. They can create wonderful and complex tasting dishes with minimal effort. The end result will be a huge confidence boost paving the way to their culinary cuisines.

Your overall advice seems sound. The fridge scraps idea is a practical one.

...BUT, you didn't mention the hwhite trash staple, the casserole. When it comes to ultimate recycling of scraps, it is embodied in the casserole.

Oddly enough, the casserole is very icebox safe. It'll keep for months once it's placed in the deep freezer.

Much luck,
-CN

The white trash casserole. Take 4 strips of bacon-fry it until crispy, reserving the fat and remove the bacon. Take your left over meat, dice it up, add to rendered bacon fats. Fry till good. Drain any liquids from your vegetables. Place the meat with bacon fat into a casserole. Toss in your drained veggies. Toss in nuked and diced potatoes if wanted.
edit on 14-5-2013 by ChuckNasty because: casserole

Thanks for that recipe .. here is a FAVORITE of my parents.. called the "depression dish" we ate it and it was sooo good. Think I will make some soon. My parents made this in the depression of 1930's and early 1940's when they were really broke

1 package of wieners (hot dogs) 1 onion, can of tomatoes and separately cooked white rice

Dice 1 onion.. fry in oil until about transparent ... add can of whole tomatoes (or fresh) cook some more... dice up hot dogs into tiny pieces and cook again.... pour this mixture over cooked white rice....

Mmmmmmm good and actually tastes GREAT. Real cheap!!

Another favorite of mine .. meat loaf.. we have not had that in a while...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Didnt starve to death, just most the time.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

6) Grow a patio garden or small back yard container garden.. ANYONE ANYONE... CAN GROW TOMATOES AND LETTUCE ON THEIR PATIO.. Some companies even make indoor table light gardens.. fresh food is cheap and easy

Just make sure you dont get caught

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

6) Grow a patio garden or small back yard container garden.. ANYONE ANYONE... CAN GROW TOMATOES AND LETTUCE ON THEIR PATIO.. Some companies even make indoor table light gardens.. fresh food is cheap and easy

Just make sure you dont get caught

You are so right.. I FORGOT to mention be sure to get your GOVERNMENT "permits" registrations, licenses, and pay your "fees" for growing your garden on your patio.. Because you might live in Amerka.. I mean America.

Also, DON'T share food with your neighbor.. Its AGAINST the LAW to give your neighbors anything because the government is only trying to "protect" you from harm.. Its actually for the best.. right???

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Coupons and Crock Pots aren't just for broke folks.

We use Coupons because it saves money we can use for other things. The time to money ratio is excellent. A couple hours clipping coupons can equal out to saving $60 or more during a large grocery trip. That's $30 an hour!

As for crock pots....I don't get home until about 7pm at night. With a crock pot, the house smells great, and I come home to a home-cooked meal I don't have to wait for.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join