It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Different Major Acts of Violence Are Treated in the US and American Death Culture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I realize there are other threads on the New Orleans M's-Day parade shooting, but this topic only deals with it in part, and this thread is meant to deal with matters in a more general/holistic way.

Although it just happened less than a day ago and on a Sunday, i.e. not a major news day. This attack in N.O. appears to be attracting far less media coverage than the Boston Marathon bombing, and the authorities seem to be quick to claim that this is not a case of terrorism. 19 people shot and apparently three accomplices involved, but the authorities are just calling this "street crime." I guess terrorism is only perpetrated by Muslims and immigrants or foreigners.

What is terrorism? The general definition is: "The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes."

Okay. So the Boston bombers were terrorists supposedly, or so the news media and the government. Why is this? Because they may have had affiliation with terrorist groups in other countries? Apparently, at least in part. Could it be because it was in reaction to US actions in Muslim countries? Seems like.

But now we have learned that these two brothers may have been responsible for a grisly triple murder a few years ago, which appeared to involve making a statement about marijuana use and selling -- three persons stabbed/mutilated and 7 lbs of Mary Jane dumped on them. Could this be a drug-gang thing? Possibly. But it could also be a statement about zero tolerance for drug usage and selling. Since it appears to have involved the two bombing terrorists, was this also an act of terrorism, or was it just a street crime?

So back to the New Orleans shootings. Three shooters, apparently shooting up a parade? Were they aiming at specific targets or just raising hell? Who knows. Let's say it was some kind of gang turf war, well wasn't it still a matter of violence being used to intimidate? If so, then it still falls under the rubric of terrorism. How can one say that this attack wasn't aimed at America as much the the Boston Marathon bombing? Senseless violence against the general public seems to be aimed at America in general, so why isn't this being treated as terrorism?

At this time, I am not aware of a massive manhunt on the scale of the search for the Boston bombers. Why not? It seems like three people shooting up a Mother's Day parade is every bit as disturbing and dangerous as setting off a couple of primitive home-made bombs at a marathon. Now I know of no other specific details of this attack, but that it happened in New Orleans makes me suspect that it may have occurred to a crowd that was largely African-American. And nobody was killed. And the perpetrators are believed to be Muslim. Are these three reasons the feds aren't as involved, and why the media is expending as much effort covering it? Seems likely.

I'm saying the government and the media -- and society in general -- have a very narrow definition of terrorism, and when it happens they squawk the term to the high heavens and generate hysteria over it, but when equally violent acts are perpetrated by people we don't consider "terrorist material", we treat it much differently and make much less of a deal of it.

My second point is that this may be part of a new class of "raise-hell" violence, which has been happening for a while with the growing number of mass shootings, and which I would include the Boston Marathon bombing in: disgruntled, alienated individuals -- and now small groups of individuals -- who want do effect some horror-show ultra-violence on the general population.

This is a rising societal issue, and it is not just one about gun control, as there are millions of guns in the US and people who want to get them will get them (although I think some level of gun control and background checks will mitigate shootings to some extent). It is about American society and the culture of violence that is romanticized, propagandized, and monetized by various interests -- political, governmental and corporate (the latter being weapons producers and the entertainment industry). I think it also has to do with corporate pharmaceutical interests and the psychotropic medication of a significant portion of society. It also has to do with our depersonalized, quasi-virtual society in which a large segment of society just doesn't have strong connections to many or any other people.

America really needs to look at itself at all levels -- and this certainly includes the government and the military/industrial/security/prison complex. We've become a culture of death, violence and nihilism, and denial just ain't cutting it, folks.

Here's one little example/anecdote: When I was in high school, there was a very primitive electronic game that modeled US energy consumption, production, research and development, which a science teacher brought in to let students play with in order to develop consciousness about this issue. I thought it was really cool, and would love have access to simulations like this.

Are there many games on this or about realistic real-life economic issues that kids AND adults can play and analyze and learn from? Not that I am aware of. There are things like Sim City, but they aren't terribly realistic. The vast majority of games are shoot'em-uppers, and such, with sports, flight simulators and misc. other things, including cheesy farming and pretending to be in the mafia, as well as mindless, mind-numbing games like Tetris, Mario Bros, etc, taking up the slack. Realistic economic, ecological and political games? Not so much.

We need to rethink our priorities and encourage useful thinking, rather than cater to primitive prurient and violent interests, and escapist crap. Otherwise we're all going to be mini-Neros, fiddling as the Earth burns.

edit on 13-5-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

Oh just face facts terrorism happens.. Geees whats wrong with people?

I mean you do realise there are religious fantatics. Take the Jones Town that happened, masses of killing because of these religious fantatical ideas.

RELIGIOUS FANTATICS EXIST AND ARE A DANGEROUS !
Humans are ANIMALS. We have an innate need and desire to protect. And sometimes this involves violence unfortunately. Computer games are for those with too much testosteron.

For example, I have too much testosteron, so I tend to do lots of sports. Until they find a way to " level out peoples innate violence tendencies" then you will continue to have these video games that sell very well. Because humans need to get out stress even if its by pretend violence.

Computer games wont make people violent.

My brother played every violent game under the sun and he is a pacifist , hes never got into a fight, and hes a vegetarian!

So stop generalising.

Terrorism is usually founded apon "fantatic thoughts" and outright violence of many can be many different things , it can be due to mental issues, it can be due to psychopathy, schizophrenia, gangs. There are different motives for these sorts of crimes hence the words
edit on 13-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
As a race, humans are only now beginning a long waking up period; coming to the awareness that violence is avoidable, and not to be desired. Yes, americans are a violent group..even when they're 'pacifist/vegetarians', they still have the very best of times when killing virtually.

There's nothing to do about it that won't take a generation or two to pan out.

Thoughtful OP, thank you!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I've said for years that gangs should be treated as terrorists.

Why? Because they use the same tactics, maybe on a smaller scale, but they are starting to escalate that. They keep the people in the "turf" cowed with fear.

The only thing a gang fears is some one stronger than them. It's a fine line to walk though in trying to reduce their numbers.

I don't want to see the National Guard patroling the streets, but that may be the only solution.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
To be honest after America celebrated one of the worst war crimes of the 20th centuary I pretty much could not give a damn how the government controlled propaganda networks decide to tell people how they should feel on any act of mass violence.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Nothing pumps up "patriots" for invading another country like a terror attack scare.

"Here Uncle Sam, take our money and support and make sure every single person is dead in that country, so our children can be safer!"

Of course, a foreigners is more likely to be a terrorist, according to the government.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EzekielsWheel
Yes, americans are a violent group..

You mean Humans ... Not just Americans, right?

Even if you were able to uninvent black powder and religion I guarantee we would still find ways to kill each other no matter where you were born ...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If a fanatical Mormon/Christian or jew also blew up people because they were against the ideology of other people it would also be " terrorism" .
It has nothing to do with ethnicity actually.

Its just that fanatical people of other religions dont express themselves in the same way that " muslim extremists " do. Thats my take on it.

I think humans do have predatory instincts, not all but for sure some do. We are similar to apes infact. We hunt in packs and we fight when feeling threatened. We are also loudmouths

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
If a fanatical Mormon/Christian or jew also blew up people because they were against the ideology of other people it would also be " terrorism" .
It has nothing to do with ethnicity actually.

Its just that fanatical people of other religions dont express themselves in the same way that " muslim extremists " do. Thats my take on it.

Then you have on the most misguided and naive takes on it so far of anyone I have ever come across. Gratz.
edit on 13-5-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

We need to rethink our priorities and encourage useful thinking, rather than cater to primitive prurient and violent interests, and escapist crap. Otherwise we're all going to be mini-Neros, fiddling as the Earth burns.

The entire OP was really well written making excellent points and I love that closing paragraph!

S&F
(would give 10 of each if I could!)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

lol So if there is Christian terrorism... this wouldnt be considered terrorism??

Im sorry but if someone blows up people ... suddenly, to prove a " religious point" this is an act of terrorism.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
1% of psychopaths in the whole population I think its probably abit more than that . However, many do not act upon it - Due to the law.

But for those who do the wreck havoc very quickly. Unless they can get into the minds of babies and see.... who has psychopathic inclinations then Im not sure how they would get rid of these types entirely.

I think there are levels of violent tendencies... actually. Like a spectrum.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

From another perspective.

We must agree that economical situation and education play some role in crime rates/violence.

If US was compared to other countries on similar level: North/South/West/Central Europe, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Canada etc (Eastern Europe is harder to compare, as the economical wellbeing is not good, especially in Russia/post-Soviet countries) , then US has by far the highest violent death rate, also the highest firearm death rate (both over 2 times more than in other similar countries by financial well-being).

There might be several reasons for it. Over-individualism, very competitive environment, worse lower education, too much violence in media/games (although it is becoming similar in Europe, although a bit less), easy access to guns, lower financial intelligence, overall popularity/romantizing violence, from UFC to all the movies. All these could play some role in it, although it is a fact, than US violent crime rate is much higher than in other similar countries.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Ive just made the point that my brother was literally addicted to violent games and he never was violent to a soul, hes also a pacifist and vegetarian .

I too used to love horror films in my teens yet that didnt motivate me to want to start killing people. I evenl move out of the way so I dont step on snails even. So really your point is MUTE.....

There is no evidence that violence correlates directly with entertainment. And lets not forget entertainment is just fantasy.

The tendency is already THERE. To begin with just as alchoholics have this addictive " genetics" already hence the desire for more. So too do violent people have it probably even since childhood... Before they exposed to everything .

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

That was the statement I took umbrage with.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well, this thread would have us believe that the United States leads the way in intentional homicides ... I don't believe it and the statistics support it ...

Now, I am not saying we could not do better, by way of economical situations and education because we could but insinuating that Americans are the most violent in the world because of music, movies or video games, well, I just don't buy it.

But Tipper Gore does ...

For the most part, I believe the above forms of entertainment are a reflection of society ...

The majority of people, I would like to think know the difference between right and wrong and are NOT influenced into violence by stories regardless of the medium.

Religion and mental issues ... now that is a different thread altogether.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Everything depends on the person and also their education in some ways.

When I was younger, I also loved horror movies (still do) and used to play Counter Strike and COD against my friends.

Although for me, probably what worked, was the fact that I became aware of the horrors of such actions young. I was 7 when I first read Remarque´s "All Quiet on the Western Front". I also read a lot about WWs. It was horrible and since that even if I play or watch something, I understand it is just a movie and remembers me the sick people who do such things in real life.

Although I know several people, who have become violent because of all the violence they come across through media.

Probably a case that illustrates it best is about a kid I used to be friends with when I was younger - next-door kid. When I met him at first, he was just a normal kid, liked video games, especially GTA, action movies all that.
Although at some point he started to mix these up with reality. He was always telling how cool the gangsta culture is, gangs are cool, whose the best fighter is the coolest guy etc. He got the influence from the media, as in reality no real gangs exist round here or in the neighborhood. At 18, the guy was locked up for 5 years for beating somebody disabled... just for fun...

Of course everybody is different, although some people get influenced by it easily. The more exposed to violene the society is, the more people become influenced by it. It might be only certain %, rather low, although it is something that can be avoided. Even schools should teach more on how bad the wars are and how violence/shooting should be avoided at every cost, although they don´t because parents are too keen on keeping their children being shut off of the horrors of the world, while letting them play games with romantize the horror and make it seem as cool. When you kill lots of bad guys, you are hero. Some people might start seeing some of the others as bad guys and that is where the problems begin...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Over the years and decades, I've seen so many efforts to protect people from themselves. I mean, GI Joe was restructured because they said kids could become too militarized. Booze and tobacco advertising was regulated because they said our youth is very impressionable.

Of course, if you suggest that violence in movies and music and video games... and in current culture as a whole is somehow, just perhaps influencing young minds to do really stupid and sometimes horrible things, you get stonewalled. The concept of impressionable minds suddenly vanishes, lol.

-POOF!-

Just an observation.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

If you take a look at the numbers of these, then US has by far the highest of the first-world countries, except poorer countries in Eastern Europe (Post-Soviet countries and Russia)

Homicides out of 100k people:

USA - 4.9
South Korea 2.6
Finland 2.2
Belgium 1.7
Canada 1.6
Greece 1.5
UK 1.2
Portugal 1.2
France 1.1
Poland 1.1
Netherlands 1.1
Sweden 1.0
Australia 1.0
Denmark 0.9
Italy 0.9
New Zealand 0.9
Spain 0.8
Germany 0.8
Switzerland 0.7
Norway 0.6
Austria 0.6
Japan 0.4
Singapore 0.3
Iceland 0.3
Hong-Kong 0.2

USA has nearly 2 times higher intentional homicide rate than other countries at similar level. 2.22 times more than any similar European country. The graph makes it seem closer as US is just one the line of Dark Blue, just 0.1 separating from blue and dark blue, although compared to Finland who is also the same colour, US has 2 times more murders. In gun-deaths the diffence is 2.5 times compared to any European country, over 4x difference with most.

2 more murders out of 100k people is not that much. It might easily be influenced by the country´s exposure to violence. 2 more people out 100k turn nuts and kill somebody.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

That maps kinda skewed tough, its for every 100,000 persons. So the bigger population you have the less impact a nation has on that map. More people are murdered every year in the United States than they are in Pakistan you know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join