It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

337,000 New Jobs Added in Oct

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Some good news, but it looks to be short term growth though.
I guess any new enployment created is better than none.

WASHINGTON — The number of new jobs soared at the sharpest rate in seven months in October, the government reported on Friday, helped by a surge in construction activity as hurricane-racked areas in the Southeast were rebuilt.

A surprisingly strong 337,000 jobs were added to payrolls last month — twice the 169,000-job growth that Wall Street economists had forecast. However, the unemployment rate edged up to 5.5 percent from 5.4 percent in September as more people joined the search for employment, the Labor Department said.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That is total BS from Fox news, try getting some news from somebody other than fox, you may be suprised at how biased they are...

www.truthout.org...
U.S. Job Cuts Top 100,000
By Terry Weber
The Globe and Mail
Tuesday 02 November 2004
Planned job cuts topped 100,000 for the second straight month in October, outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc. said Tuesday in a report that raises more questions about the future of U.S. jobs.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Key stat is the growth in unemployment. Now why would the unemployment rate go up if there was supposedly an increase in jobs. Unless perhaps most were small parttime jobs.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The facts are this is all Bunk. Jobs actually dropped in Oct as they did in Sept and will continue to drop. Low minimum wage paying part time jobs (You know the ones you couldn't afford to pay your rent if you took) rose drastically tho, as tens of thousands of High paying jobs were sent overseas to low paying countries.

Phae

[edit on 11/5/2004 by Phaethor]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Cry and whine lefties, I ahve been telling you the economy is poised and now businesses will expand now that they know they will not be taxed to death!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Report for October 2004 with link

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: OCTOBER 2004
www.bls.gov...

Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 337,000 in October, and the
unemployment rate was about unchanged at 5.5 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today.

Construction employment rose sharply over the month, and several
service-providing industries also added jobs.

Unemployment (Household Survey Data)

Both the number of unemployed persons, 8.1 million, and the unemploymentrate, 5.5 percent, were essentially unchanged from September to October.

The jobless rate has held fairly steady thus far this year and remains below its most recent high of 6.3 percent in June 2003.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
That is total BS from Fox news, try getting some news from somebody other than fox, you may be suprised at how biased they are...

www.truthout.org...
By Terry Weber
The Globe and Mail
Tuesday 02 November 2004
Planned job cuts topped 100,000 for the second straight month in October, outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc. said Tuesday in a report that raises more questions about the future of U.S. jobs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You call this place truthfull?

It's CLEARLY a biased liberal website.

Get a grip and return to reality dude

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc. is hardly liberal. Source of sources my friend, I have yet to see a single inaccuracy reported on truthout.org by the way. Reality is, tax breaks for the rich don't create jobs, they fatten pockets.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Get a clue replubicans. Only an ignorant republican would think that a fulltime engineering job was equal to a parttime job at McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
this jobs reports is inflated temporary b.s.

construction jobs increased only due to the fact that we had 4 hurricanes which destroyed many homes....strictly temporary

the increase of jobs is simply due to the Christmas Shopping Industry, jobs are always created in these months in anticipation of a busy holiday season, most of these created jobs are probably part-time and will be gone after January.

Talk to me about a strong economy in 4 months, we'll see if this upwards trends continue after then.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
My son got one of those jobs they are "seasonal" but he only works 2 times a week but for the department of employment records he is righfuly employ.

Let see after the christmas, they hired 3 young people at the store my son works at for the christmas but after chrismats is going to be only one full time opening to be given away to the "lucky" winner.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So much of this is 'war jobs' stuff.

Great (?) while there is a war on and then when it's over or scaled back pfffhhh gone.

Mirage.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

www.truthout.org...

an uh yea... we're supposed to believe a website called truthout.org ?

why is one any better than the other...

Job's increased that's great...... and I though the president was losing jobs for Americans... hmmmm oh wait.. he did cause the hurricanes in FL this year... that must be how he's giving jobs back to Americans...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Elevatedone is always job been open and more been taken away but what most head of families are waiting for is permanent jobs that can be reliable and be enough to sustain a family.

My son's job is irrelevant because he makes minimum wage and he depend on me and my husband, so if he lose he 2 day a week job it makes not differences, and what can you feed with 2 day a week anyway? I am glad he is not married or have to support a child.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

www.truthout.org...

an uh yea... we're supposed to believe a website called truthout.org ?

why is one any better than the other...

Job's increased that's great...... and I though the president was losing jobs for Americans... hmmmm oh wait.. he did cause the hurricanes in FL this year... that must be how he's giving jobs back to Americans...

Where would you like us to get our information from? Bushcountry? Fox? Who said word one about hurricanes on this thread? You did. Truthout.org

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Key stat is the growth in unemployment. Now why would the unemployment rate go up if there was supposedly an increase in jobs. Unless perhaps most were small parttime jobs.

The economy did indeed add 337,000 jobs. The uptick in unemployment is common when the job market firms as more people start looking for jobs and more people leave current jobs to seek greener pastures.

The important stat is the TREND my friend.

And the unemployment trend is most assuredly down.

Look for more huge gains in the months ahead. The economy is charging and the Kerry camp knew that a few months ago. That is why the only lame argument Kerry could muster was the "greatest job loss since the great depression"...well guess what?...the labor force has grown geometrically since the depression, so his comparison is laughable to all but the ignorant.

Pity you guys are just now figuring it out.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
WASHINGTON — The number of new jobs soared at the sharpest rate in seven months in October, the government reported on Friday, helped by a surge in construction activity as hurricane-racked areas in the Southeast were rebuilt.

hmmmm no one mentioned hurricanes in this thread....

somebody needs to re-read this thread I think...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

hmmm someone needs to understand the concept of context...
"he did cause the hurricanes in FL this year"=rhetoric

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

hmmm someone needs to understand the concept of context...
"he did cause the hurricanes in FL this year"=rhetoric

hmmmm somebody needs to understand what sarcasim and a joke is...

nuff said.... have a good one.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
the fact is hurricanes did contribute to the increase in construction jobs.

However elevatedone, you are the only one to make a comment that by stating a fact anyone here is implying Bush and hurricanes are related. Forget Politics for a moment, yes look at trends, trends show that seasonal hiring and reconstruction efforts are the main contributers to this job increase. one or two months numbers mean #, talk to me after the holiday season, in late February, March and April and we'll see whether or not the trend continues upwards or not.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join