It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the first time, scientists have grown the embryos of an extinct species

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Humans have redistributed so many species around the planet, I doubt bringing back and breeding a few extinct species is going to make a lot of difference now.

Take the Great Lakes area where I live as an example. We have zebra mussels, emerald ash borer beetle, Asian carp, all kinds of invasive plants, insects and birds, and many others that are not going away. The damage is beyond our control or hope for repairs, so go a head and throw in some extinct species into the mix. Nature would come to a balance eventually if we would stop interfering.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by Arnie123
Now thats pretty cool, people are gonna think Dinosaurs!! But in reality, thats not the case.
This should be helpful though with the current registery of animals on the endangered species list, especially the critically endangered ones.
We can start frozen preservation programs now and start indexing them, along with a distant "cousin" to help with the process.
I'm all for this, I love tigers....BUT most important of all, we can actually use this science technique on our declining Bee populations, now that would be truly awesome.

It could also unleash diseases that have long died out, that we have NO WAY to fight against.........

Just my opinion, but when you start playing around with crap like this your just asking for serious trouble.......

Yea I have considered that too, but this whole issue on "If an animal went extinct, it went extinct for a reason" is partially BS.
I can understand an extinction level event and natural species evolutionary paths, but a species that went extinct due to mans involvement can be revived, seeing as the ecosystem already had adjusted to this particular animal in its unique niche.
With that being said, I believe a wooly mammoth is the only one we should attempt to bring back from that far along period of time, as they were flourishing when man was in his infancy.
But again, animals that died off due to man should have their second shot at life.
I still think we should use this science to increase our honey bee problem.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Nevertheless

Movies more accurate than reality? Hardly.

How does that even mean anything?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Ok , let me explain.

You commented that movies are more accurate than reality. I commented back "Hardly." which ought to signify that my opinion on that statement is that it is flawed beyond belief. As the rest of the post you quoted ought to point out, the movie industry either sensationalises, embelishes, or straight up INVENTS, whatever will make it richer and bigger. Trusting its content on a factual basis is like building a house on sand. Its a bad plan, and it will end badly!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
You commented that movies are more accurate than reality. I commented back "Hardly." which ought to signify that my opinion on that statement is that it is flawed beyond belief.

Then why did you take it seriously?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

OH! That was sarcasm?

Well then, my sincerest apologies sir/madam!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Not nessasarly true, but that is why the have science advisors for their movies.

edit on 14-5-2013 by jvarga390 because: english

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Here's where the freakshow going to start.. I believe they are going to try and bring back manny the mamoth. Soon Diego and sid will follow...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join