It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the first time, scientists have grown the embryos of an extinct species

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I've seen Jurassic Park, I know how this ends...
It's cool that they can do this, but I have always thought some species go extinct because they were meant too...
In the wrong hands, this could be bad, but on the other hand maybe it could be useful. I guess it just depends on who is doing this and why.

Source

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Next thing you know we're going to start finding traces of dinosaur meat in our beef

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarahlm
Source

Yes, we should learn from movies. Movies are more accurate than reality.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Now thats pretty cool, people are gonna think Dinosaurs!! But in reality, thats not the case.
This should be helpful though with the current registery of animals on the endangered species list, especially the critically endangered ones.
We can start frozen preservation programs now and start indexing them, along with a distant "cousin" to help with the process.
I'm all for this, I love tigers....BUT most important of all, we can actually use this science technique on our declining Bee populations, now that would be truly awesome.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Thankfully my monkey uncle and my other money-human relatives can come back to life. Yes! Anything thanks for sharing this link OP. Cool news.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by sarahlm
Source

Yes, we should learn from movies. Movies are more accurate than reality.

For starters, I'm sure the OP was being sarcastic.
Secondly, instead of just trolling, how about you offer somthing to the subject? those little one liners to patronize somthing does'nt work to well, especially if it has nothing to do with the subject.
What do YOU think of this article? Hmmmm?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
:-0 !!!

I think it'd be the most amazing thing on earth to see live dinosaurs. Minis the hollywood negative twist taken on the now reality.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I don't think I want to see dinosaurs.
The carnivores will eat you and
the herbivores might step on you.
I can see this getting out of hand.

I thought this type of experimentation was illegal, unethical or un-something.

~Linda

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
I don't think I want to see dinosaurs.
The carnivores will eat you and
the herbivores might step on you.
I can see this getting out of hand.

I thought this type of experimentation was illegal, unethical or un-something.

~Linda

Well, the article clearly states they had a frozen specimen on hand, I seriously doubt anybody has some frozen chunks of dinosaur laying around.
I must admit though, now that I think of it, we have frozen wooly mammoths intact and in great condition. Would'nt that be cool?! To have a hears of wooly mammths running around? OMG, I can totally see that.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Awesome always wanted a pet raptor. Imagine the stipulations on the leash law for that thing! Thanks op, very interesting. I like the idea, but I think that's playing god just a bit much. Lets work on ways to improve humanity. We can work on Jurrasic Park after that.

S&F

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isittruee
Awesome always wanted a pet raptor. Imagine the stipulations on the leash law for that thing! Thanks op, very interesting. I like the idea, but I think that's playing god just a bit much. Lets work on ways to improve humanity. We can work on Jurrasic Park after that.

S&F

Lol, work on jurrasic park? Your kidding right? Look past the movie, read the article carefully.
After your done re-reading it, can you now see the potential applications this has for use? Endangered animals no longer will fear extinction, we can save our Bees, there is soooo much potential here that posters are blinded by there obsession of dinosaur flicks an what not.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rabb420
Next thing you know we're going to start finding traces of dinosaur meat in our beef

From what I understand a lot of species went extinct because early man ate them all. So, let's bring them all back
and
eat
them
again. MMMMmmmMMMmm

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

I read it was just joking around. You having a bad day? Calm down.

Anyway I agree with it can be used to help prevent animal extinction.

Bees on the other hand...not in our lifetime. Do you realize the speed and scale needed to even make a difference with bees?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Just tired, got PT in the morning, sorry.
Sure bees would take some time, but at least its a start, right? An you would only need a couple hundred queens, dispersed to a variety of locations and then let it run its course, better to start now then wait till the population dies out.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
whenever I hear about stuff like this I think of what the pentagon is cooking up. like a fleet of armored android t-rex killing machines. or long range terradactal bombers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I agree that when a species goes extinct it is because it was meant to. The consequences of changing times and environment (pollution, hunting, etc.) play into extinction more frequently now than in past human history and the consequences may not be to our liking but it is the way of the world- the old fades away to make way for the new. If the dinosaurs had not become extinct mankind might not have been able to advance, and if mankind were to become extinct some other species would rise to take our place- it is nature's unending cycle.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So this is far from perfected yet and it is the same process as cloning live subjects.
Maybe this could be used with selective breeding, get to the point a host is biologically nearly identical to what you want to de-extinct, we could do that with the Wooly Mammoth.

As others have noted, you could only use this as long as you have embryos of the species you want to revive so bringing back dinosaurs is a big no no... no dinosaurs have been found with intact DNA.

Also scientifically I highly doubt they perfect this and just start releasing Saber-toothed Tigers and what not into the wild, maybe very recently extinct such as some birds of pray. Things that have no place in the wild would be created for scientific research or they should be.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
They clone a frog from 30 yrs ago? come on!

If you gonna close, clone a mammoth or saber tooth, pretty sure we have the frozen tissue unlike tedious dinosaurs.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
We need to stay away from this stuff.....The animals that are extinct are extinct for a reason.....We need to stop stepping on God's toes....

Man I hate seeing stories like this......Just think for one second (even if a non believer) that God is real. What happens if the stories we read about are real? If God is mad at humanity and causes mass extinction of a species or like the great flood (getting rid of people not animals), Or the Ice Age (animals) or any story read about, why bring back the species that he has gotten rid of in the past?

Even if a non believer you should be able to relate to this "what if" concept......
edit on 5/13/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Fair enough... but a lot of these recently extinct animals are solely due to man.

Look up birds of Britain, those that have went extinct over the last 2000 years or even the creatures of Indonesian islands and Australia. Trust me when I say these animals are only extinct due to mans hand and his alone.

If we bring animals to a part of the world they have never been before? that is not natural.
Extincting animals with guns or tedious hunting techniques is also not that natural.

So if we must bring God into the picture, dare I say it... he has little to do with what this technology will be correcting. Mans mistakes not god's intervention.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join