It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Class Solar Flare given off today.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

dx.qsl.net...

An X-Class flare erupted on the sun not to long ago. Not sure if it was earth directed. Nonetheless, just thought I'd inform the ATS community.

edit on 13-5-2013 by Oozii because: Add Source for image.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

It's only returned to the middle C's. Hopefully there isn't another flare before it gets back into the B's Long duration events can cause a lot of activity. S&F. I didn't look at Spaceweather since this morning. I look at it every day to see what is happening.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thanks for your response.

Just a question, would you possibly know of a source that explains how to read the graphs and diagrams on the sun? Like the one I posted?

Thanks again.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
According to this person on youtube it was an X2 but it was not earth directed but it is from an active area coming around to face the earth soon that has already produced some m class flares

Looks like we could get some interesting action from the sun soon.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
here is a good video showing the flare

Looks like it was a 1.7 x flare.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Thanks for your response.

Just a question, would you possibly know of a source that explains how to read the graphs and diagrams on the sun? Like the one I posted?

Thanks again.

I've been watching Space weather for about five years now. I read the articles and scroll back to the days mentioned in the articles. I used to go to NASA daily also but haven't done that in about a year now. You get used to seeing things and the articles that follow and it gives you a sense of how to read the information as it unfolds instead of waiting for the interpretations to evolve. I'm getting better at it but events don't always go as they historically have. It's sort of like "Oh Oh, I have to watch for how this unfolds"

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Thanks for the news!
I'm still alive around here, though.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just had another at X2.8...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Space Weather Message Code: SUMX01 Serial Number: 84 Issue Time: 2013 May 13 1652 UTC SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1 Begin Time: 2013 May 13 1548 UTC Maximum Time: 2013 May 13 1605 UTC End Time: 2013 May 13 1616 UTC X-ray Class: X2.8 Optical Class: 1n Location: N11E85 NOAA Scale: R3 - Strong Potential Impacts:

Area of impact consists of large portions of the sunlit side of Earth, strongest at the sub-solar point. Radio - Wide area blackout of HF (high frequency) radio communication for about an hour.

Peace

edit on 13-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

WOW! A X2.8, that's a big one!

I'm assuming this is also NOT earth directed? Hopefully it calms down before it turns that far.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by jude11

WOW! A X2.8, that's a big one!

I'm assuming this is also NOT earth directed? Hopefully it calms down before it turns that far.

Looks like it was Earth directed

Space Weather Message Code: SUMX01
Serial Number: 84
Issue Time: 2013 May 13 1652 UTC

SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1
Begin Time: 2013 May 13 1548 UTC
Maximum Time: 2013 May 13 1605 UTC
End Time: 2013 May 13 1616 UTC
X-ray Class: X2.8
Optical Class: 1n
NOAA Scale: R3 - Strong
Potential Impacts: Area of impact consists of large portions of the sunlit side of Earth, strongest at the sub-solar point.
Radio - Wide area blackout of HF (high frequency) radio communication for about an hour.

Peace

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Got this in my travels though it was interesting.

Haarp Status shared The Weather Space.com's photo.
ALERT! Haarp Status Network is down. An X-Class Solar Flare has disrupted the systems and we were just knocked offline~!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Any flare that happens on this side of the sun or basically anything we see can have an impact on earth as far as communications interference is concerned. The CME usually won't bother us though, they seem to follow a slow spiral pattern off the sun and can create more of the electric grid problems..

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
Got this in my travels though it was interesting.

Haarp Status shared The Weather Space.com's photo.
ALERT! Haarp Status Network is down. An X-Class Solar Flare has disrupted the systems and we were just knocked offline~!

Looks like there is a positive after all.

Peace

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
One more solar flare of X class from sunspot complex group 1748 , stronger from last one now it's X 2.8 ..

Two solar flare of M class today from big sunspot 1745

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All indications have this not earth facing and to have very little effect on us, the spirals will be updated shortly.

In the coming days though as I said in the other thread on this topic, we should keep our eyes peeled this sun spot is large, active, and has magnetic complexity. If it stays active we could be in for a show.

For now though I think just nice vids on the SDO and SOHO for another day or so

This as well is assuming that there is no stage freight and the spot doesn't decide to decay once earth facing

SaneThinking

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If you are interested in following the sun. I quite like this site

solarham.net

which has detailed info on what is currently happening on the sun with links to information on current active regions of the sun and current flares.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That graph is weird looking on Space weather. I'm wondering if the sun is going to flip. I didn't watch Space weather at a solar flip before so don't really know what it will look like. I've only watched it for about six years or more. I suppose I'll see it this time and know what it looks like.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Flip? As in pole flip like the Earth does?

I thought the Sun had millions of magnetic poles?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

The Sun does a Filp

The last pole shift happend 2001 and next one was expected 2012 at the peak of the cycle.

Pop-science

The Sun, the light at the centre of our solar system is fast approaching the end of its 11 year solar cycle. With the height of solar activity reached, the solar maximum, is it now time for our Sun to slumber? NASA, not short of an opinion on all things scientific expect the current solar cycle to end mid-2013, while Japanese researchers armed with their own observations dispute NASA’s predictions.

Suggesting instead that May this year will see the Sun’s pole shift, temporarily creating a quad pole magnetic field until the pole reversal completes and the next solar cycle begins.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

About every eleven years the sun does that flippin thing. Right now it's having a bout of PMS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join