It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn to read tarot, help needed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hello all, so I have decided that I want to learn to read tarot for my own use, as I could really use some guidance at the moment and I have always been very interested.

I was hoping, since I know quite a few members here know how to read tarot could lead me in the direction of some very good books for me read, learn and understand about tarot readings.
Also I would love to know how I go about buying a deck, is there a certain way that you go about it, do you pick the deck that speaks to you or is there a deck for beginners etc.

Any and all information is welcome I am new to the game but very keen to learn as I have come in to a place where I will have a lot of free time to get the practice I need.

Thank you all in advance

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Buy a tarot deck, they usually come with instruction and the description of each card picture about what it means. The meanings are very generalized and can be interpreted in many ways. Might as well get one of those liquid filled balls with a three sided die in it with the words Yes, No and Maybe on each face. Its the same concept.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eManym

.Thanks anyway and yeah I know, but overtime you learn to interpret them which ever way but they are more like a guide I guess.
I know you have to bond with your deck and not just go with what the book say's the cards mean, like you do exercises to help you get your own view/feel on the cards and what they mean. I was hoping that someone here who does read cards and is experienced would be able to give me some tips on what to do.

Tarot is not for everyone and I guess you have to be a believer like myself and have faith in the cards, I would use them as a guide to see what is up and coming the future can be changed I am a firm believer in that also.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eManym
Buy a tarot deck, they usually come with instruction and the description of each card picture about what it means. The meanings are very generalized and can be interpreted in many ways. Might as well get one of those liquid filled balls with a three sided die in it with the words Yes, No and Maybe on each face. Its the same concept.

Are you talking about a magic eight ball?

I remember those!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

You need to keep in mind that there are several ways to read Tarot. I normally break it down between "psychological", "spiritual", and "straight up spooky psychic". I draw from all three of those wells. How you read will depend on how you lean and exactly what scruples you have, religiously, with what Tarot has to offer.

My suggestion is to buy a deck with artwork that truly speaks to you but be sure it follows a basic Rider-Waite format (the classic pop-culture deck you see in movies). The reason isn't because the Rider-Waite is the "right" one or the best but it's because it is a very standard language in Tarot and it makes it easy to read other decks down the road. Really though, each deck has its quirks and it's a blast to learn the author's intentions with each new iteration.

It also depends on how far you are planning to take it. Tarot can almost be a life style and there are people who eat, sleep, and breath Tarot, making it a foundation upon which all matters of fate fall upon. Then there are those who just use it as a guidance tool for themselves and their friends. And don't let others tell you that being psychic makes you a superior reader. Psychic ability, divine guidance, and logical intuition all three have merits that rival one another. It's like music; some can play but can't read the music notes and others can read notes but not improvise. Play to your talents and you'll be fine.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by karmajayne

You need to keep in mind that there are several ways to read Tarot. I normally break it down between "psychological", "spiritual", and "straight up spooky psychic". I draw from all three of those wells. How you read will depend on how you lean and exactly what scruples you have, religiously, with what Tarot has to offer.

My suggestion is to buy a deck with artwork that truly speaks to you but be sure it follows a basic Rider-Waite format (the classic pop-culture deck you see in movies). The reason isn't because the Rider-Waite is the "right" one or the best but it's because it is a very standard language in Tarot and it makes it easy to read other decks down the road. Really though, each deck has its quirks and it's a blast to learn the author's intentions with each new iteration.

It also depends on how far you are planning to take it. Tarot can almost be a life style and there are people who eat, sleep, and breath Tarot, making it a foundation upon which all matters of fate fall upon. Then there are those who just use it as a guidance tool for themselves and their friends. And don't let others tell you that being psychic makes you a superior reader. Psychic ability, divine guidance, and logical intuition all three have merits that rival one another. It's like music; some can play but can't read the music notes and others can read notes but not improvise. Play to your talents and you'll be fine.

Thank you for your reply, I have an aunt who doesn't read tarot but she is a spiritual healer and she helps me a lot with that kind of life, I can say that she has rubbed off on me in more ways than one.

I read that the Rider-Waite format is the best for learning, I agree that the artwork is something that I am drawn to when I look at a deck they're very beautiful but I am almost scared at the same time, there is so much to learn it is kind of overwhelming.

I get what you mean, I want to just use it for guidance and find my self spiritually as well. I am more than perceptive to my surroundings and it almost feels right. I think trying to get into that state of calm, I think I need to meditate more often now, I usually use my dreams as a way to interpret things going on in my life but it's some guidance for the future would be good to see potential outcomes.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Tarot cards provide a channel for demonic spirits to get into you. Don't do it.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by karmajayne
I read that the Rider-Waite format is the best for learning, I agree that the artwork is something that I am drawn to when I look at a deck they're very beautiful but I am almost scared at the same time, there is so much to learn it is kind of overwhelming.

I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean that your first deck necessarily had to be the Rider-Waite but just that the first deck you get follow the Rider-Waite format. And even that isn't exactly a requirement but it will help down the road. If you have the extra funds, just buy whatever speaks to you and buy a Rider-Waite deck at the same time. I sometimes pull out my Rider-Waite when I want to compare detailed symbolism with the other decks I have.

Originally posted by karmajayne
I get what you mean, I want to just use it for guidance and find my self spiritually as well. I am more than perceptive to my surroundings and it almost feels right. I think trying to get into that state of calm, I think I need to meditate more often now, I usually use my dreams as a way to interpret things going on in my life but it's some guidance for the future would be good to see potential outcomes.

What's really cool is that your dreams, synchronicity, and visions in life will start to adopt the Tarot language of symbolism. For example, I just recently got flashed an image while talking to my wife of a vivisected rooster with three arrows in it. I related that to the 3 of Wands and I gained some amazing insight and direction with Tarot without even drawing a card!

Just relax, take your time, and enjoy the ensuing wisdom.
edit on 13-5-2013 by Cuervo because: Coffee...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I would agree that you should have two decks for comparison purposes. First, learn the history and basics of the tarot, then practice the art humbly, while always allowing your third eye free reign.

I find it best to start with simplistic spreads while in the learning and experimentation stage, then, move into the more complex spreads.

I also found that performing readings for others' and discussing the significance of each and every card, as well as the relationship of the cards, is of paramount importance to assist you both in gaining insight and hidden messages from the reading.

They say tarot cards are only tools to activate that which you already have, and are really not necessary.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

join