It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we love war?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Sadly C_au the world dosn't view everything like the swiss do. When was the last time the swiss ever got in a war? If your looking for a peacefull rolemodel the Swiss are the ones. And what country has been in the most wars? Any one know?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by c_au
.. its a dependency on external glorification - they need to be glorified by others, because deep down they do not glorify themselves. But glory comes from within ... its a human condition to thrive to be better, but the objective is skewed ... the challenge is to better the self, not be better than another - that's elitest.

Now THATS the answer I was looking for
I have thought long and hard on this over the last few days, and this is the exact same idea I came up with as well. The thing I would like to add to this if I may, Is that this human condition to thrive to be better stems from the desire to survive. It is this survival instinct that skews the desire to be the top dog, into a twisted need to be able to wipe your enemy's clean in order to survive and raise ones self to the top. MO anyway

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
yah we should be more like the Swiss.

.... 'enemy' ... dictionary.reference.com...

" I know that there are times when war for the US is necasary, such as the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and this fact I can accept. What I cant accept is the fact that we are resulting to preemptivly stirking these "rogue" nations that are deemed a threat. Why are we attacking a nation that has not invaded us? If a country is no threat to us, has not threatened us, or has not attacked us, I see no reason to invade them. "

I totally agree

... this is doing my head in - I don't know much but this much I know ... when the majority choose peace, there will be peace.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by c_au]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Maybe the question we should be asking is why every country really feels they need WMD to be safe.?

If there were no nukes during the Cold War the USSR would have rolled through Europe and there wouldnt be much anyone could do about it. The USSR and China would have pretty much been able to take what ever they wanted.

When you take nukes out of the equation its comes down to numbers of troops, tanks ,planes ect... and the USSR had that all the numbers on its side.

If not for nukes nothing really would have stood in the USSR's way, they would be in control of all of Europe right now aint that a pretty picture.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by THX 1138
Sadly C_au the world dosn't view everything like the swiss do. When was the last time the swiss ever got in a war? If your looking for a peacefull rolemodel the Swiss are the ones. And what country has been in the most wars? Any one know?

The Swiss
they didnt get involved in wars just profited of them and the death of millions of jews. They took a good amount of Nazi blood money during WW2. Any country that stays neutral during a world war is a joke. What did they think the Nazis during there plans for world domination would just leave the Swiss alone if they won

I have more respect for the people of the axis then then swiss atleast they had the convictions to fight for what they believed in.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I was under the impression that during WWII we ( the US ) had the largest fighting force in the world. I can remember my World Civ teacher in highschool telling me that Germany originally didnt want to go to war with us because of this fact as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I was under the impression that during WWII we ( the US ) had the largest fighting force in the world. I can remember my World Civ teacher in highschool telling me that Germany originally didnt want to go to war with us because of this fact as well.

Largest not by a long shot the number of divisions available at the end of WW2

US-94
USSR-491

Total aircraft in Europe

US-12,200
USSR-15,800

Russia loss some 12 million soldiers and about 29 million people in WW2 far more then anyone eles.

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Largest not by a long shot the number of divisions available at the end of WW2

US-94
USSR-491

Total aircraft in Europe

US-12,200
USSR-15,800

Russia loss some 12 million soldiers and about 29 million people in WW2 far more then anyone eles.

www.angelfire.com...

If the movie "Enemy At The Gates" Deplicts the Russian side of the war correctly then you will see why Russia suffered so much cassualties hell the Commies shot their own men, Crazy mofos.

And wasn't their airforce a hunk of junk?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yeah I have heard enemy at the gate was on of the most close to real life on the Russian front. With people going into combat without weapons having to wait until somebody died then taking that weapon. Stuff like that really happened. Stalin was going to make you fight whether you wanted to our not.

About the Russian AF they pretty much had there butts kicked in the start of the war by the Luftwaffe. The US had by far the best bomber in the war (which Russia copied as proof), well if you dont count the German flying wings.

Russia did make some sweet tanks in WW2 though.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
and then the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union would mean that we'd be in almost exactly the same situation as were in now.....

but seriously (not)...

Everybody loves a good war, good for the economy, brings down unemployment, boosts production, get all the miscreants out of jail and out killing someone arabic...

Look at the election results in America and Australia, I bet Blair gets back in Britain.

War, Sports, Cars and **** .....we love it...

I know...how about driving a tank over an Iraqi orphanage, watching the football on the satelite feed, with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other, while (edited inappropriate content) ....

Now thats living... God Bless America...

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Lets try to keep our comments on topic.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flange Gasket

War, Sports, Cars and **** .....we love it...

I know...how about driving a tank over an Iraqi orphanage, watching the football on the satelite feed, with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other, while (edited inappropriate content) ....

Now thats living... God Bless America...

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Banshee]

Unfortuately...your right. I'm afriad that is hte typical mentality of America

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Unfortuately...your right. I'm afriad that is hte typical mentality of America

Only in the minds of those who choose to believe stereotypes are real.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

Only in the minds of those who choose to believe stereotypes are real.

I believe pretty much much, in that "one"

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have a question to ponder. Is there something that could be introduced into society to relieve these inate fears we have. I have no idea what could be introduced. Maybe an Idea, or something less abstract. Maybe an alternative fuel source introduced would help to alleviate alot of fears of global oppression.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
we dont love war, we love violence, that is why all the best selling things in life are violence orentated.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Find a way to get rid of all money in society that would be a good start as its the root of more wars then fear. Fear is just a tool used sometimes to get the masses on your side. Fear,Hate these things are means to a end not the root of the it.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The complete overhaul of our econimy on a world wide bases could never be done volintarily IMO. I think that would result in the downfall of society as we know it. I do agree that money is the root of all evil. Its the ultimate object of greed. This is why I just cant see this happening on a volintary basis. I think an alternative fuel source is a good idea as it gives countries the option to not rely strictly on petrol. Without that reliance, that brings people one step closer having a feeling of indipendance of country and freedom of choice.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
this is great stimulating stuff .. thank you

... I agree money>greed is the root of a lot of wars ... but what causes greed? A fear of lack, a fear of insufficiency ... greed is born out of fear. Using fear to sway the masses would not work if the masses were not fearful.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by c_au]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I personally wouldn't say that we love war, but someone else who was in a better position to know thought otherwise.......just food for thought:

Gen. George S. Patton, 5 June 1944:

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bull#. Americans love to fight, traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle."

"You are here today for three reasons. First, because you are here to defend your homes and your loved ones. Second, you are here for your own self-respect, because you would not want to be anywhere else. Third, you are here because you are real men and all real men like to fight. When you, here, every one of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American."......

....."Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home."

The speech in its entirety, although laced with profanity, is actually quite inspiring (a much sanitized version was used in the movie). The first two paragraphs I quoted address the topic of this thread, while the last is, I believe, a good answer to those who question why we are waging a "War on Terrorism" and are in Afghanistan and Iraq in the first place.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join