It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all lucid And non-lucid dreamers-i have a theory+i would really appreciate your input.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I have been wondering lately,and bear in mind,this is just a vague theory,an idea,which may be correct,or completely incorrect,but that's why i would like everyone, Especially those whose dreams are mostly of the lucid kind,to provide their input.A poll,of sorts,i would like to conduct.

To the lucid dreamers:
-------------------------------
Throughout your life,have you always felt more or less,in the waking world,to be mostly,to a large extent,in control of your life? I know as children,up to a point,we are dependent on the decisions and whims of adults.But are you the type of person who has never really felt helpless,a victim of circumstances?The type of person who felt independent from an early age,and pretty much managed to steer the course of your life in the direction you wanted it to go? Have you never felt that fate/destiny/circumstances/a higher power/forces majeure of some kinfd or the other are in control,and that there is not really a thing such as true free will? Have you always felt "in control" whatever life throws at you?etc,etc.

To people who have never dreamed lucidly,and are "victims of circumstance" in their dreams:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you always,since childhood felt that your life is planned out for you,by fate/destiny/higher powers/a hidden hand? Have you experienced throughout your life,that no matter how hard you try,how much effort you put in,how many times you attempt to take your life in a certain direction-there is that "hidden hand" working against you,sabotaging every effort-and forcing you into another direction/keeping you locked into the set of circumstances you wish to change? In short,that your life is not your own? I could list many more examples,but i'm sure you catch my drift-in short,you sense that your "free will" is very,very limited,and that you have little or no control over your life-like you are little more than a rat in a Schindler box-in short-that your life is not your own?

I won't be replying as much to this thread as i normally do with my other ones,i really just want to read and observe.Will the good members of ATS be so kind as to help me with this poll?
Kind regards
Rax.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm a lucid dreamer. I do not feel that my life is out of my control. What I want, I make happen. And when the inevitable negative situation occurs,I try to find a way out of it. In other words, I don't wait to be rescued by a knight in shining armor...I steal the horse and rescue myself.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Have you considered the possibility that those who feel 'independent' are actually well within the expected limits of their behavior? Also how about 'good' interventions like coincidences which make you feel lucky? Do they count as obstacles in doing whatever you want?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

To the lucid dreamers: Throughout your life,have you always felt more or less,in the waking world,to be mostly,to a large extent,in control of your life? I know as children,up to a point,we are dependent on the decisions and whims of adults.But are you the type of person who has never really felt helpless,a victim of circumstances?The type of person who felt independent from an early age,and pretty much managed to steer the course of your life in the direction you wanted it to go? Have you never felt that fate/destiny/circumstances/a higher power/forces majeure of some kinfd or the other are in control,and that there is not really a thing such as true free will? Have you always felt "in control" whatever life throws at you?etc,etc.

I have always believed "if theres a will theres a way". Sometimes i feel like my thought manifest actual events in the future. As if my day dreams really come true. This had always been a suspicion of mine until i read The Secret. I know its a rather controversial book but I got the message and i do truly believe I can manifest my own futures just by willing them into life. Its not necessarily entirely based on my actions, my thoughts lead me into strange coincidences. For instance, Ill think to myself "I havent seen brain in a while, he was a good guy". Then after a week or so hell pop up out of nowhere after a long chain of purely coincidental events. The odds however, lead me to believe something different is happening, almost like a predetermined destiny based on an inclination.

So back to dreaming. IN my opinion, a dream is a feedback loop where your brain creates a reality for your senses, then your senses stimulate your mind, which is prompted to generate a new set of experiences for the next moment. I know that is convoluted but its an endless cycle of feedback, then decisions that generate new feedback. I lucid dream is a little different because you can control the cycle of feedback and decide what your senses will feel. Its a more direct immediate example of the same effect as mentioned above.

Basically I believe our thoughts echo into eternity, and can directly shape your future. Lucid dreams are just a more immediate, precise, and short term example of this phenomenon.

Hope this helps you on a quest for knowledge

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Supposing you are in total control of your life and your dreams, can you imagine a situation which would be hard for you to ing in escape?
edit on 12-5-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you think that lucid-dreamers had bad life and lucid dreaming is a way out, you are totally wrong. I think lucid dreaming has to do with persons mental perspective of the world.

Also i can say being religious and lucid dreaming are not related. Not religious, and i lucid dream, tho i can't make it happen at will, if it happens it happens.

Usually when i'm stressed, i get sleep paralysis, instead of lucid dream.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrkeen

Supposing you are in total control of your life and your dreams, can you imagine a situation which would be hard for you to ing in escape?
edit on 12-5-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

I'm not in total control of my life. Crap happens all the time and it sucks.

What I am in control of is my perception and how I react when things head south. Do I rest on my laurels, moaning over what was? Or do i pick myself up and go on? This is how I'm in control of my life.

As for my dreams, I've always been a lucid dreamer. I'm fully aware when I dream, and it's awesome. I didn't even know this was unusual until I was in grade school.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I like that bit about the knight in shining armor
. I feel like alot of people wait for help to arrive or someone to throw out hem a hand to pick them up. Dont get me wrong we do need each other sometimes but there is something to be said about being your own hero.

To the op I dream lucidly on and off, it comes and goes. My life is like that as well sometimes things are out of my control but I have an innate ability to grab the reins and pull my life back in control. I have gotten very well at doing this in the last two years as I had hit a rut and said enough is enough, I'm running this show and took over my life.

There is a line from a song called green lights by cajual that says " who the hell do you think you are to live in mediocracy , life is a dictatorship not a [snip]ing democracy you have control over every single aspect of your life and you havent even asked yet what do you wanna do when you grow up...."

This is a link to the song if anybody wants a little inspiration I recommend this its a good song. www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I am aware of it being a dream but can have lack of control in dreams, just riding along where it takes me. Especially in my youth. And I agree that in my life fate is very hands on and is limiting me very much. But I would not want it any other way. I am a sucker for higher ideals, even when it bites me in the backside
. And I am not the only one it seems.

edit on 12-5-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrkeen

Have you considered the possibility that those who feel 'independent' are actually well within the expected limits of their behavior? Also how about 'good' interventions like coincidences which make you feel lucky? Do they count as obstacles in doing whatever you want?

Good question. You are under the assumption that coincidences exists
. Are you sure? In a highly synchronized guided mode you are very lucky because your fate has to be.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Attentionwandered

I have always believed "if theres a will theres a way". Sometimes i feel like my thought manifest actual events in the future. As if my day dreams really come true. This had always been a suspicion of mine until i read The Secret. I know its a rather controversial book but I got the message and i do truly believe I can manifest my own futures just by willing them into life. Its not necessarily entirely based on my actions, my thoughts lead me into strange coincidences. For instance, Ill think to myself "I havent seen brain in a while, he was a good guy". Then after a week or so hell pop up out of nowhere after a long chain of purely coincidental events. The odds however, lead me to believe something different is happening, almost like a predetermined destiny based on an inclination.

I agree that you manifest actual event in the future and from my point of view you are created beforehand as planed to manifest what is needed in the future to make sure the butterfly effect change the whole to a specific moment in time for a specific reason. You are on a conscious level experiencing and noticing synchronicity.

This article is about the philosophical concept. For other uses, see Synchronicity (disambiguation). Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, yet are experienced as occurring together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described in this terminology by Carl Gustav Jung, a Swiss psychologist, in the 1920s.[1] The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by meaning. A grouping of events by meaning need not have an explanation in terms of cause and effect. In addition to Jung, Arthur Koestler wrote extensively on synchronicity in The Roots of Coincidence.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

A person who is effected by high level of synchronicity will draw or have drawn what is needed to him/her. 11:11 phenomena is a variant of this.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

This thread sparked something I been thinking about and have proved atleast to myself. I've seen evidence of this in actions that people of tribal cultures tend to do. It's a way to find out if you are in control or if they're really is an omnipresence in control of the so called "petri dish". Basically the theory is that all the noises you make and made around you in one way or another goes into your sub-consciousness. Your mind filters it out and depending on what you have been told determines everything you do after it has been received.

Imagine a creaky floor. Someone walks down the hallway. Your listening but not to closely and you think you heard through the sounds of the creaky floor. "Go lay down" the next time they walk by it says "Gotta get up tomorrow". Obviously these sounds do not apply to you. Because of certain circumstances. But then the person goes right to bed when they enter there room.

Did they lay down because they wanted to or did the creaky floor dictate to them what they will do? They don't know it because those sounds are not something they are paying attention to and it went right into the sub-conscious for comprehension. Tribal people do this with shells and other various noise makers. When they want to know the answer to something they rattle things around. They pick out sounds let there dub-conscious do the rest.

If this is true and provable atleast to slight degree we might find out we control nothing and it's the universe around us that dictates what we do.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well those who problem solve better, and are looking for solutions and more competent when life throws a hardball are naturally the ones who can lucid dream. They're more advanced souls, and they come in with more gifts. Some of these things are needed for them to do the work they came to do, whether they are aware of it or not.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I totally agree with you there but I'd like to think anybody can do it. All they'd have to do is allow themselves to open up.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumCounterfeit64

Yes, I agree. We're all called. For example, if one naturally reacts to events, they can learn to withdraw and meditate, and envision, as if in the now, with the good feeling of the solution surrounding them, and give thanks, not to grovel or to prey, but pray as in gratitude, as in Teamwork and appreciation of the Family that love you. But they're reaching down, and they want us to stop being little children and learn to grow our soul abilities and reach up to them.

We all can do this, and pour out our hearts over our stumbles and keep on seeing what we yearn for and having gratitude for the miracles.

Also, if we work at keeping our eyes closed, before waking up fully and casting back our mind to go further and further in dream recall (light starts the disconnect, so keep eyes closed). Then write them down. Even if you don't recall easily and sleep deeply, your mind starts to be more alert when dreaming , as if you are programming it that this is important.

For as we seek more is given.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Ive been wanting to talk to ATS about this also. I Lucid dream most of the time. When I do its very crazy! I used to flap my arms to fly LOL but now I imagine wings and I have wings! All i have to do is think of flying and I do. I have superpowers in my dreams. I find my self a lot of the time destroying buildings, shape shifting things. I even recall one time imagining a meteor and hitting my target! Its pretty intense the stuff i come up with. I also go to this beautiful place, I can only describe it as Nirvana. Mansions and beautiful landscapes. Most of the time I know i'm dreaming. When i dream about my friends, I often ask them if they had the same dream as I did because in my dream i told them we were dreaming... lol they look at me like crazy. Anyways, I do feel that I am in control of my life. I do believe that we make our imagination into reality. :-)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentinoG

That's an interesting comment that you made about flapping your wings and flying, as it is something that used to happen in my dreams when I was younger.

I also have lucid dreamed but it hasn't happened for a while. To be honest, it scares me when it happens, as I feel like I have no control.

The last time that it happened was about ten years ago and as I left my bed and got higher and higher I reached a new room. It was big, there was a pool table and people playing pool, almost like in a barn. I saw a priest and I flew up to him but he told me to keep going as he couldn't help me. As I flew higher and higher I came upon a circle of maori women whaling, as they do when someone has died.

For the most part I feel that I am in control of my life but posting this has reminded me that maybe I have forgotten that I can fly.
edit on 13-5-2013 by deessell because: na na na na

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

I honestly can't remember when I started lucid dreaming. I do remember though, when I changed from "flapping" my arms, to wings. The dream was a nightmare. I was in a school type event that turned into a massacre. Everyone was trying to get out of this warehouse/barn type place. I remember going upstairs and finding a window opening overlooking the woods. It was daytime. All a sudden it was like something grabbed me from behind and pushed me out, like an angel was carrying me from my armpits and I was flying through these cornfields and such. I also remember other people with winged beings helping them too. It was beautiful because I felt relieved to leave that place LOL. This dream was about 3ish years ago.

I think lucid dreaming is a beautiful thing. Once you master your fear of it. It takes practice, but once you find out, its better than ANY video game I have ever played in my entire life, and probably would ever play for that matter lol

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Even though I may assume that I possess quite an old soul that understands my journey here. I'm a lucid dreamer, I often fly around in dreams and create create create.

In reality life, I stand for things, I try to live as honestly as I can. I try to call out things as I see them. I also have the WORST of luck.. hahaaaaa..

I'm serious, My mother comatosed for 6 months when I was age 8, my sister, schizophrenic at my age of 16. Laid-off, unemployed, stolen car, loss of love. All things I don't feel much at fault or minutely having serious control over.

I reject the OP's hypothesis completely. I agree with Unity in the sense I may be more able to deal with it and bounce back and still find happiness in the world. I just don't feel that it has anything to do with my creative ability to manifest my dreams into life.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I am a lucid dreamer. I found your post very interesting and it sent me on kind of a "trip down memory lane".

When I was younger, up until about age 14, I felt that I was in complete control of my life. I was quite an intelligent child. I avoided any contact with younger children because I couldn't hold conversations with them. I actually remember writing songs for my father's band when I was around the age of 5 and they were actually good enough that they would keep them. I would work in my step-grandfather's mechanic shop around the age of 7 and knew exactly what I was doing. I would hold philosophical conversations with my uncle's for as long as I can remember. I felt I knew EXACTLY where I was going, EXACTLY what I was doing, and EXACTLY what life was all about.

Then it seemed I simply woke up one day and became a "victim of circumstance", as you say. Everything was out of my control. I lost my way many times, and almost didn't find my way back. Around this age I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I realized that things were truly out of my control.

The funny thing is, throughout my entire life, even when I felt I was in control, I have only had bad dreams. Very, very rarely do I have a good dream. And my dreams always feel very real. I also almost always know that I am dreaming but cannot make myself wake up so I just go along with them.

Has anyone else experienced this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join