It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you fear the most?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
In times like these people walk the streets looking over their shoulders...

My question to you all is what do you fear the most?

War?

Terrorism?

Street violence?

Please say what, and why.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
In the 80's I feared nuclear warfare. In the nineties I feared an alien invasion. Now what do I fear most? I have gone back to fearing nuclear warfare and biological warfare. Both scare the hell out of me. I, as an Australian fear something really bad happening to the US. So horrible that they will be so concerned with helping their own citizens that they will be unable to assist other countries. I see an invasion of our country by Indonesian or other asian forces. We have such an enormous unprotected coastline that we cannot possibly protect. If our allies are involved with their own problems and cannot assist us, I can see our country being easily overrun by foreign troops.

In Australia we are not permitted to own guns without good reason and I totally agree with these laws. I also think that the "right to bear arms" by Americans is "silly". However, I do understand your reasoning for wanting to be armed "just in case". I will be the first to eat my words if our country is invaded and we don't have a gun stashed away to protect our family from the invading forces. There are always two sides to every story aren't there?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am of the reasoning that I should fear no man, no thing, or no idea. I have no fears of what may occur in these days to come. But I am concerned for my daughters and my baby to come. Bush is a Tyrant who will drive our allies away and cause our daily lives to be harder than ever than what I have had to endure, growing up in the 70's, 80's and 90's. My daughters will most likely have to look death in the eyes here in our own country, where I only had to on soil outside the US. My daughters will live in a society where the threat of attack by foreign powers on our own soil is Very Possible. My daughters will live with less every year than I have strived to provide for them. I have been down the Outsourced road once before. My hopes are that they would never have to go thru that again. But Bush has made corporate bed fellows, Big money "The Haves and the Have Mores" his highest agenda. I do not fear what will come to be, It saddens me.

Phae

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Intresting thread,personally i fear that human beings will continue to loose respect for each other,by that i mean people not taking a little time to "hold the door open","help the old lady across the road",have a go heroes we see some act of violence or robbery and get involved because they know its not right and in general people just not taking time out to help their fellow man or woman!
Oh yeah and swimming in deep water,waiting to be attacked by sharks or big sea monsters! lol

Regards.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Personally, I fear that a ballance with nature will never be restored.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
My phobias are (irrational without explanation):
- A large group of people coming together without apparent reason. I think it may be subconciously tied to armaggedon.
- Not having enough money at the register. Rooted from situation when I was a kid.
- Lame death. Don't know where this came from, but I don't want to die by falling down the stairs. Skydiving is a different matter.

Rational fears:
- Evil consuming people
- Me damaging another person

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My biggest fear is finding out there really isn't an afterlife and that our consciousness just goes *poot* out of existence when we die.

My second biggest fear is that the Christians are right. But I think I have enough ATS points to get me into purgatory.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh, that's easy: DEATH!

Why? Because it's the great unknown and unknowable.
We can theorize and speculate about an afterlife and
reincarnation, etc., but at the end of it all there are still many
full graveyards and people are still dropping like flies without
having had lives that meant anything, if a life could ever really
"mean" anything. Pope or pauper, we're all eventually just
corpses. From where would the meaning be derived, if it's
all just death,death,death?

The paradox is that eternal life seems almost as terrifying.
I say almost because in that state, one would presumably
still be an individual...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassie Clay
My biggest fear is finding out there really isn't an afterlife and that our consciousness just goes *poot* out of existence when we die.

My second biggest fear is that the Christians are right. But I think I have enough ATS points to get me into purgatory.

How would one find out? I think that if our consciousness just goes *poot* it
would be just like a power outage. That would be that, since there would be
no home base to make the observation that there isn't an afterlife, since
consciousness seems to require a powered container, or it's probably just undifferentiated energy, like lightning. Whatever the case, it's spooky...
and disappointing.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This country going on the way that it is. If the bomb is going to drop then let it. If marshal law is going to be imposed then let it. I just want to know where the future stands so I can take the necessery action to protect myself and my family.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In the lates 70's early 80's I feared the unknown, the dark, aliens, and other things that went bump in the night.

In the late 80's early 90's I feared being robbed, jacked, jumped, etc (grew up in Brooklyn NY)

In the late 90's, I feared dying in a car crash, ending up in a canal, and hurricanes (coincides with my move to Florida)

Early 2000's to present, I fear the future. (maybe age contributes to this)

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i fear nothing except for the fact that this world could be put to an end because of the stupidity of the leaders of human race. Its not the part about death that scares me. It's the part that the world wouldnt be here.As far as death goes the only thing that scares me is returning to earth reincarnated. no matter what , no matter what bad things happen to me i love my life and i wouldnt want to return to earth as anyone other than myself.

BTW, good question mackiller!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What do I fear the most? Myself

Why? We all create and choose our own destinys by our thoughts and emotions. I have none, all I have is a group of ideas taught to me from others which I logically base to be correct or false. I am afraid of true emotions, meaning myself. I have always tried to what others expect of me wether or not I feel it is right or wrong. I feel if I let go and live by my true instinct and emotion I would be nothing more than an animal. I believe all children should be worshiped, because they did not ask to be brought here, we chose to bring them here for our selfish needs. I feel sex should be something that is openly free with no bonds or committments. I feel if one takes a life, his or hers shall be forefited, I feel consequences should be obtained for every action. I feel instinct should be judge and jury not law and goverment. We are all warm blooded mammals and should live as such. So you see in a nutshell.. I scare myself so it is better that I conform to others.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
As a non American, what I fear most is a possible hidden American agenda. The Bush agenda. War for no apparent reason, who the next target will be, and deteriorating relationships between America and the rest of the world.

Canada (where I live) has lost its close ties with the US, as did many other countries who opposed the war on Iraq. With that relationship strained and deteriorated, I have economic, financial, & security fears of living 4 more years in a country not favoured by President Bush.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid

---Evil---

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Women and the ATF

About the only thing I am scared of is us handing our children a world with less freedom than the one we had.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Waking up one day and realising l am old and haven`t done the things l always wanted to do and it being to late to do them.

Dieing without telling the people l care the way l feel about them.

The Future

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Being a 19 year old female things in the world tend to seem more dramatic then they really are at times...
but i have to say one of my biggest fears is having this war fought here on our soil. and i don't just mean a plane going through a building..i mean troops being dropped off here and bombarding our homes, taking away all the things we've worked for, and hurting the one's that we love most. i do support the war we are in right now which i know a lot of people will disagree with me and that's perfectly fine. i respect people's positions. but what i do find odd is that i hear quite a few of my fellow conservatives say that no country could possibly invade us in the way that america has been able to invade other countries. if we can do it why can't they. look at the mexican border, 8,000 people a day come through there unaccounted for. so i fear america being invaded by millions of ground troops. i can't say whether i think it will happen in my lifetime or not but it is something that i am definatly fearful of. what do you all think?

kind regards,
digitalgrl

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I fear growing older in America! I fear my 17 yr old son being drafted like I was. I fear losing him in another unjustified Middle Eastern version of Viet Nam. I fear not having enough savings to retire.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
Being a 19 year old female things in the world tend to seem more dramatic then they really are at times...
but i have to say one of my biggest fears is having this war fought here on our soil. and i don't just mean a plane going through a building..i mean troops being dropped off here and bombarding our homes, taking away all the things we've worked for, and hurting the one's that we love most. i do support the war we are in right now which i know a lot of people will disagree with me and that's perfectly fine. i respect people's positions. but what i do find odd is that i hear quite a few of my fellow conservatives say that no country could possibly invade us in the way that america has been able to invade other countries. if we can do it why can't they. look at the mexican border, 8,000 people a day come through there unaccounted for. so i fear america being invaded by millions of ground troops. i can't say whether i think it will happen in my lifetime or not but it is something that i am definatly fearful of. what do you all think?

kind regards,
digitalgrl

Get over it.
Or start learning self defence classes to better protect yourselve from all those invading guys who will do the same to you females that grunts did in Vietnam.
At 19 you gotta be kidding me that is the only thing you fear

Maybe leave the paranoia self obsessed capitol of the world come to europe and hang out with people who are more interesting than the people you no now.

Theres more to life u no

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl

kind regards,
digitalgrl

hmmmmmmmmmmm............... I suspect many Iraqis feared, and still fear, the very same thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join