It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When We're All Convicted Felons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My boyfriend has recently become a felon and so we have been researching the topic a lot lately. We happened upon an article that I found very interesting and would like to share. I would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

--------------------------

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. When there are not enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking the law. Create a nation of lawbreakers and then you can cash in on the guilt. Now that’s the system!” -Atlas Shrugged Most gun owners are somewhat familiar with laws regulating firearms. Every person who has purchased a firearm through a Federally Licensed Firearm Dealer has filled out a BATFE 4473 form and has been submitted to a NICS background check. Part of that check is to verify that you are not a prohibited person, one who is legally not allowed to purchase, own, or possess a firearm

--------------------------

When We're All Convicted Felons, No One Will Legally Own A Gun
edit on 12-5-2013 by qualm91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2013 by qualm91 because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sun May 12 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote....Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well written S&F
It is people like you that give me some sense that all is not lost in American thinking. Things that used to be done by a deputies are now done with Swat Teams... The next crusade will be anyone who is prescribed some psychotropic drug or ever seen a psychologist etc etc. The whole Felony thing has gotten out of hand IMO. The danger in all this is the more laws they make the more chances a law abiding citizen will become a felon or...a real felon may just chose to ignore....

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Extremely relevant, researched, and well-put-forward!

I am a convicted felon, and; due to the nature of my offence, should not be allowed to own a gun.

That being said: WTF? There's some extremely disturbingly innapropriate methods available to TPTB to remove the guns from otherwise law-abiding non-violent Americans. I mean... a bear trainer needs to protect himself....from BEARS yeeesh!

S & F!
edit on 12-5-2013 by EzekielsWheel because: punctuation revised

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

Nice thread, pal.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link for this article? Or was this in paper print?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

So....I am understanding that the majority of your thread is quotes from ( Jeff Riley, Buckeye Firearms Association Southwest Ohio volunteer)...is this correct?

Please provide links for your sources of information...thank you!

edit on 12-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thank you guys. Like I said, we've been reading into it a lot lately and have found a lot of disturbing things.

There was one man from Tennessee and one man from West Virginia who were convicted of felonies but they put in petitions to get their gun rights back after many years. They were granted their petitions and got they're gun rights back. However, both of these people moved to different states and the government said that under Federal law, they still were not permitted to own guns. They completely disregarded the courts decision and sent them to Federal prison. Our system is becoming worse and worse and most people are completely oblivious to it.

And it is not just guns laws. Have you heard anything about the nuns facing up to ten years in prison for protesting nuclear bombs? In the Feds defense, they did break through a fence of a federal building and hang up banners petitioning it. But, shouldn't that just be vandalism? Why go to such extremes?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by qualm91

Nice thread, pal.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link for this article? Or was this in paper print?

Paper print, dear. But I'm sure you'd be able to find it somewhere on the internet. I'll search for it and see if I can find one.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

Cool. Mostly asking you to help you cover your behind.

We are supposed to source our info here. Copyrights and whatnot.

ETA: But well done on your first thread! Great info.
And welcome to ATS.

edit on 12-5-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by qualm91

So....I am understanding that the majority of your thread is quotes from (By Jeff Riley, Buckeye Firearms Association Southwest Ohio volunteer)...is this correct?

I read it in a newspaper, the "Opinion" section. But it was quite easy to find this link.

www.buckeyefirearms.org...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by qualm91

Cool. Mostly asking you to help you cover your behind.

We are supposed to source our info here. Copyrights and whatnot.

Gotcha. Still getting used to the site! Haha.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

You should add the link to your OP using the edit post feature.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by qualm91

So....I am understanding that the majority of your thread is quotes from (By Jeff Riley, Buckeye Firearms Association Southwest Ohio volunteer)...is this correct?

Maybe on this site?
Am still looking though...

Soon our youngsters will reply; "I wanna be a prison warden when I grow up."
edit on (5/12/1313 by loveguy because: meh, i don't know

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

reply to post by qualm91

You should add the link to your OP using the edit post feature.

I'm on it. Thanks, Jay! What would I do without you!?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

I dunno, qualm.
In this case you'd have gotten a nasty gram from one of our fine moderators.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I liked the inclusion of the Ayn Rand quote from Atlas Shrugged. The premise is valid, insofar that the number of felony offenses is totally out of control. I don't know if it is an actual conspiracy to keep weapons out o ft Americans' hands or if it is just a natural product of capitalistic big government. Hard to say, but it is definitely interesting.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Fortunately for now atleast, we live under a system of laws that currently allow for felons to get the felony reduced and expunged at a later date.

It involved showing a history of not offending any more, so if you are convicted and are not a "Career" criminal it can be rather easy to remove a felony conviction by reducing it to a misdemeanor after the terms of the sentencing has been finished.

Once its reduced to a misdemeanor you can have it expunged from your record, it is a lengthy process but can be done.

Had a friend do it for a grand theft charge (he stole a motorcycle and went joyriding when he was 18) 7 years later and he has had it permanently expunged after getting it reduced to a misdemeanor, he did it all himself with out the use of a lawyer.

edit on 12-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I liked the inclusion of the Ayn Rand quote from Atlas Shrugged. The premise is valid, insofar that the number of felony offenses is totally out of control. I don't know if it is an actual conspiracy to keep weapons out o ft Americans' hands or if it is just a natural product of capitalistic big government. Hard to say, but it is definitely interesting.

It's a conspiracy by definition, absolutely. Conspiracy : A secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful, the action of plotting or conspiring. Generally speaking government conspiracies are not uncommon.

And, yes, I love Atlas Shrugged. I'm glad I found the website with this article because there are more links in it to back up the information! I never would've known if I would've just read it in the paper.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Fortunately for now atleast, we live under a system of laws that currently allow for felons to get the felony reduced and expunged at a later date.

It involved showing a history of not offending any more, so if you are convicted and are not a "Career" criminal it can be rather easy to remove a felony conviction by reducing it to a misdemeanor after the terms of the sentencing has been finished.

Once its reduced to a misdemeanor you can have it expunged from your record, it is a lengthy process but can be done.

Had a friend do it for a grand theft charge (he stole a motorcycle and went joyriding when he was 18) 7 years later and he has had it permanently expunged after getting it reduced to a misdemeanor, he did it all himself with out the use of a lawyer.

edit on 12-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Yes, this is true. They are making it harder and harder to get things expunged, however. My boyfriend is a felon, his crime was non-violent, but the courts told him that he would never be able to get it expunged. I'm not sure if they were only telling him this to scare him, or if there is actual truth behind it, but I was with him when the judge told him this.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The majority of the OP's post is NOT her work.

OP, please use the external text function and edit your OP so people can give credit to the original author at buckeyefirearms.org.

That being said, felons can petition the court to once again legally purchase firearms. There is a way to restore your rights if you were not convicted of a violent crime.

This post was taken from this site.

edit on 12-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
The majority of the OP's post is NOT her work.

OP, please use the external text function and edit your OP so people can give credit to the original author at buckeyefirearms.org.

That being said, felons can petition the court to once again legally purchase firearms. There is a way to restore your rights if you were not convicted of a violent crime.

Yes, I simply quoted the article and asked for opinions on it. I added the link to a website with the full article to the bottom of my post. I am still new to the site and I am getting used to it. I apologize for any confusion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join