It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roughly 10 Years To Evacuate Earth - Do You Think We Could Do It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So, the situation is that we have ten years to evacuate the planet (e.g. neutron star, gamma ray burst, unexpected cosmic event etc etc).

Do you think we could evacuate everyone (we're talking billions here - not to mention the third world etc)? Or would only a few be able to go?

Would we stop petty wars and pool our resources to not only build (a) starship(s), but also actually aggressively and swiftly locate suitable "Earth 2s"?

What do you think? What are your thoughts on this?

Additionally, if this were true, and scientist and astronomers did indeed truly conclude that we have roughly 10 years to evacuate Earth (worse, if it's a neutron star, we'd have to evacuate the entire star system) - if it were true and it was announced next Monday (i.e. 20th May 2013), what would your reaction be? How would you take the news? What would you do?
edit on 5/12/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

P.S.

For those of you becoming suspicious because of my recent strange threads in Chit Chat - no, I'm not a government agent studying the population's potential reactions. I'm just a young and flighty guy with flighty thoughts. Nothing to see here.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I would think the small group of people that know the truth would not tell the public
if they did it would mean 10 years of small gang wars, rape and murder.. panic would spread and chaos would be the norm

in a nutshell
They would conceal the truth to avoid chaos and let people live in ignorant bliss, perhaps we already are

If we had 300 years perhaps.. because we have a couple of generations of think/build time
We would need giant spaceships with stasis equipment with room for 15 billion people and a destination

edit on 12-5-2013 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So where would we go? It wouldn't even interest me to go live on a starship. If something were to destroy earth, it would destroy any ship we built. We probably wouldn't even be out of the solar system in ten years if we left today with our present technology.

I hope they take all the smartest people with them though. That way we might have a lotta fun when they leave.

edit on 12-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
No, At our current state of technology we couldn't do it in 100 years.
There was a show recently on the history channel that gave a realistic idea
of the hurdles we would face knowing the solar systems demise in 75 years.
Only a small portion of the human race would be selected to board ships that
would be sent towards the closest star systems with possible habitable planets.

You shouldn't worry about events like this. more important to concentrate on the now
and what you are here to accomplish. All of our lifetimes are but a blink of the eye.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I have to agree with the poster above that if some people knew about this event they would not tell the public about it. Can you imagine 6 billion people panicking like crazy? I can.
If people learned the nature of life and the universe they wouldn't fear what's coming, but in fact embrace it. We are eternal beings. Life and death is like walking from one room to another but some are afraid what's in the other room. Me? Ill just stick around and watch the fireworks.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

No I dont. We dont have anything even close enough to carry hundreds of people into space let alone millions or billions.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Well, if we were just shooting humans into space, without any planned good destinations, then we are only delaying their inevitable demise. I think we need more time than just 10 years. Perhaps if given enough time, science would be able to duplicate our atmosphere and climate on closer uninhabitable planets. I would think we would need a lot of "out of the box" thinking to solve this one.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think we'd have to assume things not yet invented and technology which may not be able to be innovated on that timeline would necessarily have to not only happen, but work.

Personally? I wouldn't expect anyone who knew to say a word. That is ONE conspiracy where I think the 'Black Helicopters' and people being 'disappeared' would be 100% real and actually happening too. It would almost have to, if they even wanted to try and make a way out for anyone at all.

The whole hope would depend on society still functioning at the level it does for production today. Tell 7 billion people that they WILL all die in 10 years? Tell billions of parents that their kids WILL die badly before they even see adulthood? What precisely would the motivation be to stay in the rat race and keep the wheels turning? There wouldn't be much..if any.

I'd say this is one we wouldn't even hear hinted about as a far out conspiracy. Those who DID know wouldn't live long enough to finish a phone conversation they started having a 'Soul searching' moment during. Just my thoughts.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Sure why not.

If we set aside things like the economy, and combined the worlds resources, a joined humanity might be able to get an ark into space.

We wouldn't care about resources for such a project, we could strip mine entire continents for mineral resources, it would probably Signal a SHTF martial law situation with governments the world over going totalitarian to martial human resources to mine and construct.

Problem being with the current level of tech what ever "ark" we made would be a generational ship, one that would have to survive for 100's if not 1000's of years moving at sub-light speeds just to get to the nearest star that MIGHT have a habitable planet.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Doomed........
Not one word would be said ... yet a leak would happen.
We have not the brains to get 1000 folks to Mars let alone to a planet we could live on.

Game over man...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogMeat
Doomed........
Not one word would be said ... yet a leak would happen.
We have not the brains to get 1000 folks to Mars let alone to a planet we could live on.

Game over man...

That too! launch and go where even if we could.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
First things first: We need to stock up on these suits for the journey:

2suit

Once that is taken care of we can worry about the small stuff, like where to go and how to get there.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nope, no way.

Nor would we. The elite would evacuate, along with any people with needed skills to serve them, but that's it. Picture the 2012 (movie) idea, but with spaceships instead of ships. I have no doubt that would be exactly what would happen.

I think you greatly underestimate us. We could lift off for Mars within a year if we threw enough money at it (billions). With that kind of motivation (impending doom), and no holds barred on resources (as everything will be toast anyhow), we could (well, the elite could) certainly get thousands to Mars and begin colonizing it, in a 10 year span.

The US moon effort shows exactly what can be done with the right motivation and funding.

A one-way trip to Mars would GREATLY reduce the tech and payload needed. That payload could instead be spent towards the materials to build the first sealed colony and begin the terraforming process.

edit on 13-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
10 Yrs - too short.

Working together? not happening. It would most likely be a space race between nations.

Of course the rich would get to go first, along with necessary people of trades like Scientists, Doctors and Engineers.

Oh well.. Just gotta hope the comet would land on earth and transforms us poor folks into a super humans!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well, I guess there are a lot of variables. Are you talking about with known technology? With all the secret technologies released, I think we could do it... But I suppose that's only because I don't know what secret technologies exist, so of course I'm imagining some pretty awesome stuff

But I think we would be dealing with more of a situation like... The elites would break away and leave us on our own and likely attempt to sabotage our chances for escape. On top of that they would suppress knowledge of any disaster. If they had a change of heart, then we would have a better chance of getting everybody off the planet.

You also have to consider that some people will not want to leave the planet, no matter what.

What would be interesting to ponder is what would happen if the elites did indeed leave the planet to find their own planet, assuming we would just die...but we didnt. Without their meddling, we united and got up to their level of secret technology because, unlike them, we had nothing to hide and we had a whole planet working on it. Then we go and find a planet to colonize, and then, many generations later, we make contact with another planet, and it turns out its our old masters, the elites...and they're in trouble! Turns out they were all so greedy that they could not work together, and...

What's that?

Strange threads, you say?

Count me in

*scurried off muttering something about "my precious..."

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kbriggss
No, At our current state of technology we couldn't do it in 100 years.
There was a show recently on the history channel that gave a realistic idea
of the hurdles we would face knowing the solar systems demise in 75 years.
Only a small portion of the human race would be selected to board ships that
would be sent towards the closest star systems with possible habitable planets.

You shouldn't worry about events like this. more important to concentrate on the now
and what you are here to accomplish. All of our lifetimes are but a blink of the eye.

Yeah, like the poster below you said, I'll just stay and watch the fireworks, and be reincarnated on the ship or maybe I'll just skip the whole trip and be reincarnated on the planet. Not right away, no... ill wait until they do all the unpacking and civilization-building... In fact, I'll just wait until enough generations go by so that they don't remember how they got there and the only thing they know about their ancestors who got them to this planet are in the myths and legends and religions... In a way, it would be appropriate to honor them as heroes and gods... And the saga continues...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
I would think the small group of people that know the truth would not tell the public
if they did it would mean 10 years of small gang wars, rape and murder.. panic would spread and chaos would be the norm

in a nutshell
They would conceal the truth to avoid chaos and let people live in ignorant bliss, perhaps we already are

If we had 300 years perhaps.. because we have a couple of generations of think/build time
We would need giant spaceships with stasis equipment with room for 15 billion people and a destination

edit on 12-5-2013 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

In 300 years we could work to keep the population balanced at 7 billion or even lower it. Maybe everybody could have a job or be involved somehow, even if just to put on plays or play music or provide other entertainment to the workers. Then we would need people to do daycare, school, job training... There would be security, a justice system, courts, jails, funeral arrangements, maybe some religious areas... Well, I would have one religious area and make everybody share it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
think that to get everyone on a starship breething,eating and # would be impossible in the period of 10 years, but i think that we can get containers in which we would freeze bodies in order to preserve them, We can then have a reserach team trying to find out how to unfreeze everybody when we reach our destination, which would be glise 581g or something, By freezing everyone, we would't need much space, we would need like 3 starhips that are highly full, like a full basement, then when we get to our destintaion, we will build better societties and give everyone homes and #, Ha problem solved, Oh and also, we should have like 5 other ships that have seeds growing into vegetation, when they grow, a group of humans (if they volunteer) or robots will refridarate the food, Also we will need lots of protiens such as beans, and then also have a ship where we freeze all animals.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

No. The important thing would be to ensure that life goes on. We would be shooting into space millions of capsules containing the DNA of every life form on this planet. Hopefully ONE of them will crash onto a planet suitable for life to once again blossom.

new topics

top topics

join