It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Exploding microwave door glass???

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hi im posting to say that around 20mins ago my microwave for no reason exploded? I have not used it for around a month so it cannot be from heat. I dont know if its paranormal or if this is something that has happened to alot of other people? Anyway i was randomly screwing around in my home and i heard a loud bang and the sound of glass hitting the floor so i ran in the kitchen to check and it was all over the room meaning it went in the sink on the counters on the floor and it even hit the back door 25-30 feet away from where it stands? The other weird thing is even now the glass is still cracking so i dare not pick it up until it stops.




posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Omg, that sounds scary! Good thing you weren't in the room when it happened.
I did a quick google search and it seems this has happened to other people as well....was for microwave manufactured by GE?
More reports of microwave glass doors exploding
GE Microwave (Exploding Door)



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr
 


Yes luckily i was not in the room but my dog was it scared the crap out of her
Nope the microwave brand is samsung i could get the model but i threw away the booklet a while ago



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Sounds like an incredibly faulty microwave, and I would personally document all evidence with pictures and send them to the company ASAP.

If you were there and got injured you could have a serious lawsuit on your hands. I'd still be worried about a little bit of radiation, or that something malfunctioned inside. Document all evidence and send to the company as soon as possible. Do not wait! Check your dog for any glass shards too.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo
 


I have seen reports on the net about exploding Pyrex cookware.
The contention seems to be that the manufacturer changed the glass recipe
from a borosilicate type to a soda lime type of glass ,which tends
to be less forgiving to thermal shock, and so explodes in some instances.

Maybe there has been a change in glass type being used in the microwaves
by that manufacturer. Or perhaps the way that the glass is fitted in the door
is causing some kind of expansion/contraction stress , which eventually
causes the glass to fail.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi there.I highly doubt it has anything to do with the paranormal -the fact of the matter is-quality and standards of manufacturing has taken a drastic nosedive in recent years-whether it be in the production of appliances,furniture,just about anything.Companies seem to purposefully make their products to break/malfunction/deteriorate after a very few years.There's no profit in making fine products that will last a lifetime-or at least 25 years or so,see?
Pride in the quality of your company's products have been replaced with pride in the size of your company's bank balance.
We also had a microwave die with a bang,about 14years ago.We were all in the lounge,and my hubby's mom was in the kitchen when we heard an almighty bang.No glass exploding though,no outward sign of breakage.I don't recall the brand.I don't recall if she was using the microwave at the time,but she must have been,the magnetron propably would'nt have spontaneously gone boom.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My five year old top of the line microwave smoked up the kitchen about three years ago. We never bought another one, both me and the wife feel a little better since we quit using a microwave. I have no clue as to what it was doing to us. I think that a microwave isn't bad if you use it occasionally but we were using it all the time.

It was funny, my brother bought the same one a couple months after us and his lasted about two months longer than ours. Ours lasted five years and two months, it had a five year warrantee. Coincidence that they both went out right after the warrantee expired? I am thinking that they could have some sort of timer, since they had a clock.

My brother bought a new one and his was shocking him, he brought it back and the new one works fine. Talk about junk. I look at things like that as a warning sign, I would buy another one but know that we would be using it all the time again so both the wife and I agree that we do not need one.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thanks guys, Im not sure howlong the warranty had left if any at all
i think ive only had it 6-7 months i never knew microwaves could do this and to be honest im lucky i usually stand pretty close to it while its on to check the time....if it was turned on i could of got hurt badly



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
Thanks guys, Im not sure howlong the warranty had left if any at all
i think ive only had it 6-7 months i never knew microwaves could do this and to be honest im lucky i usually stand pretty close to it while its on to check the time....if it was turned on i could of got hurt badly


Like I said, document the evidence and send it to the company. If it was only 7 months old they should replace it or give you something to compensate. That's a very serious matter, and really, what if you were standing next to it?! I don't know if you'd be able to post if that was the case!



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I would do like what an above poster said, take photos and send it to the company!
I had something eerily similar happen in a rental unit I stayed in.
I was in the kitchen (a lil reversed from your event, haha) and heard a LOUD bang that sounded like it came from the bathroom, so I ran over and opened the sliding door to find that my entire glass sink had shattered!!

Glass everywhere also and I hadn't used anything other than lukewarm water that morning. Super weird.
Didn't look like anything had fallen on it either >.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Was your microwave across from an open window?

Maybe something came through the window and hit it? Strange.
Definitely get a hold of the company.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71
 


Nope it was at the other end of the kitchen from the door which is maybe 30 feet, the window is 15 feet away and it was pretty warm in the house today so i dont think it could of been temperature change.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yikes. I'm not sure I'd want another microwave if that happened to me. Ours has been steaming up inside/between the glass for a few months now, and I'm generally staring impatiently into the compartment while my food heats up.

I'd do as the others have suggested and report this to the manufacturer. It's shocking in this time of technological advancements that basic consumer equipment is so shoddily constructed so companies profit margins can get larger.



posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I thought I found the answer, but I see someone did way before I did.


*facepalm*



edit on 12-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
not a chance that this is a paranormal event. this is more common than you think



posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i know two people that this rare event has happened to, and they report no paranormal events in their house



new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join